Help me select schools please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rehman2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I would REALLY appreciate some help. I've been spending a lot of time trying to decide which schools to pick but am having trouble narrowing the list down. Honestly, at this point it isn't even a list. I basically have selected all of the schools that don't have a strong IS bias.

I was thinking of applying to some of the schools that have regional bias because some people online have had some luck with them, but my stats aren't very good so it might be just a waste of money (any thoughts?). I don't have money to blow but I have saved up for exactly this. I applied to MD schools last year (late in cycle -- not DO because it was too late to get a waiver) and am really not wanting to wait another year, you know? That's why I have so many schools selected right now. I'm just trying to be super safe.

If you guys have any suggestions at all, I'd be very grateful.

Note: I only have one letter of rec from a science professor; some schools require two. I haven't checked every school yet so if you know if any of these schools require 2, PLEASE let me know!

• State of residence: Michigan
  • Current school: The University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
  • GPA: 3.408 (last year this was 3.290 so I've been working on getting it up)
  • Science GPA: About a very bad 3.18 (a C in math my freshman year and a C in Pchem didn't help that at all lol)
  • MCAT: 502
  • Double Major: Neuroscience and Psych
  • NOT an URM (I'm South Asian) but am considered a disadvantaged student
  • I only have ONE letter of rec from a science professoR

Activities:
1) Volunteered at an assisted living/memory care home (about 50 hours)
2) I worked about 2-3 years in college to help with bills (not working anymore)

My ECs were lacking (still are...) so this past year....

3) Shadowed 3 different doctors (total of about maybe 20-25 hours or so only). All MDs.
4) Started volunteering at Henry Ford Hospital. I'm 8 months in and am still volunteering there (currently about 120-140 hours here)

Here are some of the schools that I'm thinking of definitely applying to.

1) MSU
2) Chicago College - Midwestern
3) West Virginia
4) Both of the A.T. Still Unis
5) Lake Erie
6) Lake Erie - Bradenton
7) Marian
8) Nova (not too sure about this though because of my stats)
9) Oklahoma State Uni (I think they are mostly IS but do you guys think there is a DECENT chance of me getting an interview here)?
10) Both of the Rocky Vistas (haven't researched these much though)
11) Philadephia College (not too sure about this either)
12) Touro New York (NOT Cali since IS and not Nevada since they require 2 science letters of rec)

Here are some that I'm not sure about at all at this point. Some of these schools have a regional bias but I've read stuff online about people with no ties and all that sooooo idk...

William Carey
Western University (both of them)
University of Pikeville-Kentucky
Philadelphia Georgia Campus
Pacific Northwest University
The 3 VCOM (Edward) campuses (some insight here would be great)
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Liberty (they say no section under an 8.. I got a 123 on the Psych section... what do you guys think)?
Des Moines

NOT applying to:

Rowan (strong IS pref)
TCOM (strong IS??)
Touro- Cali (strong IS?)
Touro- Nevada (2 science letters of rec)
Lincoln Memorial (2 science letters of rec)
(Liberty possibly???)

Members don't see this ad.

If you can afford it... apply broadly. Most people find themselves reapplying because they shot themselves in the foot by not applying everywhere (minus the Texas schools... they are a longgggshot).

From what it looks like... your stats aren't too great. I would definitely focus on the new schools and the schools that are mission focused. But then again... apply everywhere and apply early.

From the looks of it, you should have submitted your stuff in like yesterday. Good luck.

Hello fellow Michigander!
My experience is quite limited but here's a list I'd suggest.

1) MSUCOM
2) Chicago College - Midwestern(reach, close to home..keep it. FYI tuition &cost of living can be 100K+ a year)
3) West Virginia
5) Lake Erie
6) Lake Erie - Bradenton
7) Marian
8) Nova(Some may say reach, some may say otherwise. Tuition and cost of living may be expensive as well)
9)WCUCOM
10)All the V COMs(From what I've heard these would be a worthy investment with your stats, and fine letter wise)
11) UPKCOM
12)LMUCOM
13)ACOM
14)BCOM

Best of Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are not yet graduated try to get another LOR from science and non science teacher that way you won't be limited to applying to some schools. I think you have to have 2 science+1 non science LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't waste your money on PCOM OSU or CCOM.

I recommend:

1) MSU
3) West Virginia
5) Lake Erie
6) Lake Erie - Bradenton
7) Marian
8) Nova
William Carey
The 3 VCOM (Edward) campuses
Des Moines
ACOM
NYITCOM-AR

I can't recommend LUCOM

If you are of a fundamentalist or close to it Christian background and comfortable in such an environment then LUCOM might worth exploring. I think they were going to require biochem, but not sure if they did implement that.

If you can afford it... apply broadly. Most people find themselves reapplying because they shot themselves in the foot by not applying everywhere (minus the Texas schools... they are a longgggshot).

From what it looks like... your stats aren't too great. I would definitely focus on the new schools and the schools that are mission focused. But then again... apply everywhere and apply early.

From the looks of it, you should have submitted your stuff in like yesterday. Good luck.

Yeah I know my stats suck lol but I do have the app finished. At this point I'm just deciding the schools and waiting for the fee waiver.

Hello fellow Michigander!
My experience is quite limited but here's a list I'd suggest.

1) MSUCOM
2) Chicago College - Midwestern(reach, close to home..keep it. FYI tuition &cost of living can be 100K+ a year)
3) West Virginia
5) Lake Erie
6) Lake Erie - Bradenton
7) Marian
8) Nova(Some may say reach, some may say otherwise. Tuition and cost of living may be expensive as well)
9)WCUCOM
10)All the V COMs(From what I've heard these would be a worthy investment with your stats, and fine letter wise)
11) UPKCOM
12)LMUCOM
13)ACOM
14)BCOM

Best of Luck!

Hey! Where in Michigan?
Thanks for the suggestions. Are you sure about all of the VCOMs? You don't think there is a significant bias?

If you are not yet graduated try to get another LOR from science and non science teacher that way you won't be limited to applying to some schools. I think you have to have 2 science+1 non science LOR.

Yeah I'm trying to get a 2nd one right now but I'm not usre how that's going to go. As of now, I have a total of 5 letters (though I may not use one). One from a Dr., a nurse where I'm volunteering, a physics professor, an english professor, and from another person where I volunteered.

Don't waste your money on PCOM OSU or CCOM.

Why not CCOM? Stats are too low?
OSU and a strong IS bias.... PCOM also or is it because of my stats?

I recommend:

1) MSU
3) West Virginia
5) Lake Erie
6) Lake Erie - Bradenton
7) Marian
8) Nova
William Carey
The 3 VCOM (Edward) campuses
Des Moines
ACOM
NYITCOM-AR

I can't recommend LUCOM

Thank you for the suggestions!!

I've been reading that Pikevill has sort of biased? Do you know much about them?
Same with Pacific Northwest I think?

If you are of a fundamentalist or close to it Christian background and comfortable in such an environment then LUCOM might worth exploring. I think they were going to require biochem, but not sure if they did implement that.

I'm actually not Christian, but thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah I know my stats suck lol but I do have the app finished. At this point I'm just deciding the schools and waiting for the fee waiver.

Hey! Where in Michigan?
Thanks for the suggestions. Are you sure about all of the VCOMs? You don't think there is a significant bias?

Yeah I'm trying to get a 2nd one right now but I'm not usre how that's going to go. As of now, I have a total of 5 letters (though I may not use one). One from a Dr., a nurse where I'm volunteering, a physics professor, an english professor, and from another person where I volunteered.

I've been reading that Pikevill has sort of biased? Do you know much about them?

To retain some anonymity I'll just say the lower peninsula haha, but yeah I havent heard of any bias from them and they only require one science letter and one doc letter.

I think about 25% of PacNW's students are not from the PacNW area. Perhaps current students can chime in?

Haven't heard anything about KYCOM having a regional bias.

Hey! Where in Michigan?

CCOM, stats too low. PCOM stats too low, they prefer people from PA, DE or the rest of the northeast

Hey guys I would REALLY appreciate some help. I've been spending a lot of time trying to decide which schools to pick but am having trouble narrowing the list down. Honestly, at this point it isn't even a list. I basically have selected all of the schools that don't have a strong IS bias.

I was thinking of applying to some of the schools that have regional bias because some people online have had some luck with them, but my stats aren't very good so it might be just a waste of money (any thoughts?). I don't have money to blow but I have saved up for exactly this. I applied to MD schools last year (late in cycle -- not DO because it was too late to get a waiver) and am really not wanting to wait another year, you know? That's why I have so many schools selected right now. I'm just trying to be super safe.

If you guys have any suggestions at all, I'd be very grateful.

Note: I only have one letter of rec from a science professor; some schools require two. I haven't checked every school yet so if you know if any of these schools require 2, PLEASE let me know!

• State of residence: Michigan
  • Current school: The University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
  • GPA: 3.408 (last year this was 3.290 so I've been working on getting it up)
  • Science GPA: About a very bad 3.18 (a C in math my freshman year and a C in Pchem didn't help that at all lol)
  • MCAT: 502
  • Double Major: Neuroscience and Psych
  • NOT an URM (I'm South Asian) but am considered a disadvantaged student
  • I only have ONE letter of rec from a science professoR

Activities:
1) Volunteered at an assisted living/memory care home (about 50 hours)
2) I worked about 2-3 years in college to help with bills (not working anymore)

My ECs were lacking (still are...) so this past year....

3) Shadowed 3 different doctors (total of about maybe 20-25 hours or so only). All MDs.
4) Started volunteering at Henry Ford Hospital. I'm 8 months in and am still volunteering there (currently about 120-140 hours here)

Here are some of the schools that I'm thinking of definitely applying to.

1) MSU
2) Chicago College - Midwestern
3) West Virginia
5) Lake Erie
6) Lake Erie - Bradenton
7) Marian
8) Nova (not too sure about this though because of my stats)
9) Oklahoma State Uni (I think they are mostly IS but do you guys think there is a DECENT chance of me getting an interview here)?
12) Touro New York (NOT Cali since IS and not Nevada since they require 2 science letters of rec)

Here are some that I'm not sure about at all at this point. Some of these schools have a regional bias but I've read stuff online about people with no ties and all that sooooo idk...

William Carey
The 3 VCOM (Edward) campuses (some insight here would be great)
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Liberty (they say no section under an 8.. I got a 123 on the Psych section... what do you guys think)?
Des Moines

NOT applying to:

Rowan (strong IS pref)
TCOM (strong IS??)
Touro- Cali (strong IS?)
Touro- Nevada (2 science letters of rec)
Lincoln Memorial (2 science letters of rec)
(Liberty possibly???)
Hey there, also a fellow Michigander and I'm about to start classes at MSUCOM next month!

I got 10 II's this past cycle and had a similar MCAT as you but better GPA's and a lot more healthcare and work related EC's. I didn't have any research. You need to shadow a DO asap! It shouldn't be difficult to do since we are in (arguably) the best state for osteopathic docs.

I got love this cycle from...

1. MSUCOM (so excited to start, my first choice!)
2. LECOM-B
3. LECOM-E
4. ATSU-SOMA
5. WCU
6. Marian
7. BCOM
8. ACOM
9. LUCOM
10. CUSOM

You need to apply super early, really broadly and, in your case, check to see if schools have sGPA cutoffs. Feel free to PM me (especially about MSU) and I'll answer any questions or help out as much as I can.

Reactions: 1 users
I think about 25% of PacNW's students are not from the PacNW area. Perhaps current students can chime in?

Haven't heard anything about KYCOM having a regional bias.

Yes, PNW is 75% from the Pacific Northwest, they are the DO equivalent of the MD WWAMI program. I know this since I helped set up a lot of their rotations in Alaska with the past Dean.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, PNW is 75% from the Pacific Northwest, they are the DO equivalent of the MD WWAMI program. I know this since I helped set up a lot of their rotations in Alaska with the past Dean.

What would be the best way, other than stats, to make myself a more appealing applicant to PNWU? Would the Heritage MAMS be the way to go if I wanted to go to this school specifically and I'm not from the Pacific-NW?

What would be the best way, other than stats, to make myself a more appealing applicant to PNWU? Would the Heritage MAMS be the way to go if I wanted to go to this school specifically and I'm not from the Pacific-NW?
I don't know what the Heritage MAMS is. You would need high stats to be considered OOS. There is a such a shortage of doctors in the Western states you would need to show ties to the West to likely be considered. I haven't dealt with them for about 8 years.

Reactions: 1 users