Help me PASS the Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajvosa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a third year optometry student in Australia. I am taking my US part 1 in August. Can anybody tell me where I can find multiple choice question material so I can practice. I already bought that book with 1000 questions but I think that is not nearly enough. If you guys have any advice on how to pass part 1 please feel free to let me know.

All the best,

Mirela

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mirela

I think the only book out there for the NBEO is the one with 1000 questions. I'm trying to hunt around for some more myself. I'm taking the Part One in August too.

I'm studying from the Berkeley Guide that our class ordered from UCBSO a month ago. I'm using a year old one I bought off my mentor for a lot less money. I'm also studying from Schwartz's "Visual Perception".. I've heard it's hit HARD on boards.

I hope this helps. I don't know how you can get hold of a berkeley guide without being at a US OD school.. but I'm sure there's a way. (they run about 85 dollars for the 600 page study guide)

GOOD LUCK STUDYING!! I'm right there with you. :eek:

Thanks for your reply CPW!!!

I already have Berkley! However, I think it would be very helpful if I could find some additional multiple chioce questions.

BTW, I am taking VISUAL SCIENCE CLASS at your school in september of this year. I am originally from NYC, never been to Huoston before and I am wondering where am I going to live for 3.5 months once I come to Houston. Do you have any advice?

Thanks,

Mirela

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm where to live in Houston. If you want to live close to the school (without living too close since it's in a bad part of town) look into the area we call Condoland. It an area of apartments and condos down by the Astrodome/Reliant Center complex where most of the optometry and medical school students live. They're nice (although somewhat older) and affordable. I'm sure you can find a three month lease.

Are you taking a semester of vision science and then heading back to Austrailia?? I've always wanted to visit there.. never had enough money.

If you want to stay somewhere nicer than the condoland area a few students live in the west university area (by Rice U) but a 1 bedroom there can run you over 800 dollars. (the ones near condoland are closer to 600 dollars a month)

Let me know if you have other questions. if you're coming in September be prepared for HEAT!!
:eek:

Thanks again. What book do you use for optics part of the exam?

Do you have any MCQs (old tests) with solutions or can I buy it somewhere in your school or anywhere else? I am especially interested in optics but also general biology.

Thanks a lot for you info regarding the apartments.

Regarding the Australia, if I do well on my board exam I have a big chance to transfer to SUNY.

Please let me know if you have any old optics or optometry or any exams that I can maybe copy from you.

In australia, we do not have MCQ exams but only essays with calculations (please show all your work in the booklet)...IT SUCKS!!! I WOULD PREFER MCQ.

Cheers

Mirela

my old optics exams aren't multiple choice.. sorry. (they're long questions with long written out solutions)

The ophthalmic optics class did have some multiple choice questions, but he didn't let us keep our exams so I'm afraid I'm not much help there.

I do have old exams for anatomy, physiology, and path. (well, my mentees have them but I'm sure I can get copies for you when you get there) I can make them be nice. ;)

sounds like you're in for quite an adventure. Good luck! :D And, if you need a place to crash while looking for an apartment, PM me.. I have two extra guest rooms.. I'll see what I can do. ;) Anything for future collegues right? :)