Help me decide: SLU vs. Texas A&M ENMED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slips

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm choosing between these two schools, and frankly am having a lot of trouble with my decision. I'm originally from Saint Louis. I don't really know what kind of specialty I'm interested in, but would like to keep my options open.

SLU pros:
- from saint louis, love this city and have a strong base of family/friends here
- the slu med students i know seem to be very laid back and kind in general
- SLU medical school is more well regarded than texas a&m medical school; enmed is too new to say for sure if it's better.

SLU cons:
- Not as impressed with SLU hospital vs. Houston methodist.
- more expensive (350k vs. 200k)
- I love doing research and slu's research scene is sub-par; know a few people at washu though I could reach out to.
- bigger class; harder to stand out.

Texas A&M ENMED pros:
- A unique program and a fresh start
- significantly cheaper than SLU (COA is 200k vs. 350k but neither are great haha)
- Houston Methodist seems like an incredible hospital
- proximity to the texas medical center
- come out with an extra masters in engineering degree
- from what I can tell the preclinical stuff is well done and well-received by students
- unique programs could help residency; who knows for sure though

Texas A&M ENMED cons:
- have very few people I know in Houston
- The city wasn't to my liking when I visited
- a new school which seems risky
- The students I talk to there, while they seem happy, seem extremely stressed out most of the time

At the end of the day, the decision comes down to the base I have in saint louis vs. the risky but cheaper option of moving to Houston and going to a new medical school. I'm excited by the ENMED program but not excited by Houston haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on everything it seems SLU would be the better option. Despite the price, it is closer to your support system, seems more established than the ENMED program, and their wellness initiatives seem genuine. The fact that the ENMED students seemed very stressed is a red flag to me. Med school is hard enough without having to worry about no support system, working kinks out of a new curriculum/ program, and dealing with a city you're not a fan of. Also, did you tour SLU's new hospital? Wondering how it is before I visit myself

I'd keep +$150,000 in my pocket and take the newer program. Sure there will be bumps in the road since it's a new program but Texas A&M is a strong school. Don't think SLU is worth that much extra. Seems like the only thing going for them is having your support system closeby. Whether that alone is worth the difference in price is up to you. I'd never voluntarily sink myself an extra >150k in debt given the choice, personally.

SLU medical school is more well regarded than texas a&m medical school
The difference is negligible here and both are essentially equivalent.

Reactions: 1 users