Help me decide please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piebaldi

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey all,
I need some help with future job options.

The following are options:
Option 1:
Attending int. pain position after fellowship, same place where i'm doing fellowship. Apparently starting base is 300k, with a certain percentage of collections, labs, meds, procedures, etc. Guaranteed salary goes away in year 2 or 3 and becomes entirely production based. Salaries long term from what i have heard/ what I have been told range from the 300's to a few million for current attendings.

Option 2:
Pain position back in home state. Would prefer to be closer to family, salary around 300k for starting with some rvu percentage of collections. Not super desirable city, but within an hour or so of family and place where I'm from so easy to drive.

Option 3:
Non-clinical type position. I am torn about this. I do think that I would long term like a non-clinical position. Some work can be remote, which is nice. Starting also around 300k, with around 20% bonus, likely initially lower ceiling than above positions. I believe you get a yearly raise, more like a typical job in that regards. Long term though - could this lead to a VP type position, or something like that? Kind of sounds interesting, I am torn.

Option 4:
Consulting type position in healthcare, at one of the large consulting firms. Starting salary is less than what I was making as a generalist, in the 200's, obviously this could be sink or swim long term. If someone doesn't perform, they could get fired within a few yeras or make partner in a few years and making millions. Could go either way.

I am having a bit of a hard time deciding. I realize I am all over the place - please provide your input.

Members don't see this ad.

How unique are positions #3 and #4? If they are interested in you then you may be able to start as a clinician and if it ends up not being for you then move into the non-clinical world at a later date - you obviously have some contacts in the non-clinical world?

Members don't see this ad :)
How unique are positions #3 and #4? If they are interested in you then you may be able to start as a clinician and if it ends up not being for you then move into the non-clinical world at a later date - you obviously have some contacts in the non-clinical world?

Positions 3 and 4 are not unique, and no I don't have contacts in the non-clinical world, for one position I just happened to be at the right time and the right place and some conversations lead to hey! you seem like someone who would fit at x, and for the nonclinical job they just happen to have a position where I was working before, and because it's not the most desirable city in the universe (but close enough to where I was living before) would work for me. Positions 3 and 4 are close by. Well I feel if i go the non clinical route that would be it for clinical. I guess non clinical roles would be there long term but not sure how easy they are to get long term - again this just happens to be a right place at right time type of thing.

Piebaldi: would you be willing to PM me? I have more questions for ya.
Thanks!