HELP-matching back to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1019257

Canadian here. I was accepted to a few UK schools already and am waiting to see if I am accepted into any US. If I want to match back in Canada, what is the best route? I know there are two streams and if you go to a US school you will match in the CMG stream.

This is what someone told me "if you are in the CMG stream, you are competing with all the students who actually went to school in Canada. So even if there are a lot more spots in the CMG stream, your chances are lower... But if you go international you are only competing with IMGS and have reserved spots...better chance."

I have been getting a lot of mixed info and would love if someone could clarify :)

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian here. I was accepted to a few UK schools already and am waiting to see if I am accepted into any US. If I want to match back in Canada, what is the best route? I know there are two streams and if you go to a US school you will match in the CMG stream.

This is what someone told me "if you are in the CMG stream, you are competing with all the students who actually went to school in Canada. So even if there are a lot more spots in the CMG stream, your chances are lower... But if you go international you are only competing with IMGS and have reserved spots...better chance."

I have been getting a lot of mixed info and would love if someone could clarify :)

Chances are MUCH higher if you are in the CMG stream for many reasons. The numbers work out to something like 92-95% of CMGs matching vs. 20-25% of IMGs matching to Canada. Its not even a question. As for IMGs having "reserved" spots, that might be one spot of of 10 in a program. Not to mention IMGs have to pass a bunch of exams that CMGs don't to even get to the point where they can apply. If you go to a US program, even if you are the 2-5% of CMGs who don't match, you can match in the US and return to Canada after. Again, if you know anything about IMGs its not even a question here. Pay your deposits for the UK schools and just forefit the money if you get accepted into a USMD school.