Help...Letter of Rec info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ami15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm applying to dental school this summer and I'm just starting to get together letters of rec. I asked my boss (A OB/GYN) who I worked with for 6 months to write me a letter of rec. He sent it off to my pre-professional office but also mailed me a copy...It was only 10 lines long! Isn't that too short to make any kind of impression on an admissions committee? Is there a polite way to ask for a more in depth letter? Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused about where you are working! Short of info I have to make my own assumptions---I agree that any experience in the health care field is wonderful---but why not in the dental field? It is difficult to work for a ob-gyn and then ask him/her for a reference to go into the dental field. They are human too!!---They may question your desire to be dentist---(hence 10 lines of recommendation)---and wonder why you didn't pursue a job in the dental field. I know I would!

Dental school admission is too competitive to rely on a 10 line recommendation from a ob-gyn----even though he/she may be your boss. You need to ask yourself---why do I want him/her to write a recommendation for me? What can they say that will explain my abilities for dentistry? How is a ob-gyn going to explain to the dental admission's board that I'm an incredible and unique candidate and I deserve to be accepted to dental school.

In my opinion---I wouldn't send that recommendation to anyone!!!!! Find a professor that knows you well or sit down and talk with your "boss" and see if they can write a more meaningful recommendation.

I don't mean to be harsh but I think you are aware enough to see the problem. Please don't send that recommendation---I'm positive you can find a better one!!!!!!

R.R.B

Dr.2b,
Thanks for the reply. The reason I wanted the recommendation from my boss is because it's a very small office and he knows me well. When I interviewed for the job I told him that I was thinking of a career in either medicine or dentistry and I was taking on the job in order to learn more about running a private practice....which I did. I do also have dental experience but I volunteer in a busy clinic where no one really knows me too well. I just wasn't sure if it would be rude to ask for a more in depth letter.

hi,

Like the prior message, i am not so sure that the recommendation letter from your boss will help you that much ....sorry!! unless your boss wants to recommend on your great interpersonal skills and even so, 10 lines are certainly not enough. In my opinion, it is probably wiser to have a dentist to write the letter for you. Besides, a recommendation letter from a dentist can only help you. This shows the dental schools that you have had the experience and a mentor to guide you in reaching this important decision. Just my two cents. Good luck with application.

go bear!