sufferfromrealness

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Gonna be out of HS soon and was just researching hospital medical jobs for then. Well found something really great for experience and its all great. Surgical Technician. Well after being told it was something that could be done fresh out of HS I later found out that it wasn't really. Most jobs, well all, require CST certification which I read takes 12 to 24 months to complete then there's the NBSTSA exam and prior to that you need ABHES completion of some sort. Now I must say, this is all quite confusing. Therefore, I'm asking anyone with experience or knowledge as to the steps to please tell me what to do. Maybe there's similar Operating Room alternatives? Should just become a paramedic? Really need help.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive might be able to help with the surgical questions. These jobs tend to require certifications.i am unsure of who told you they were going to hire you right out of highschool without a certification.
The jobs that require less training will be CNA, pharm tech, environmental services, medical assistant, volunteering. Schools want to see that you are interested in medicine and have some exposure to patients.
Why don't you focus on performing well in college first and then once you are doing well in college go find ecs.

Last edited:
Surgical technician jobs are excellent ways to get a ton of paid clinical experience. Even at large university hospitals, you will be right in there scrubbed in on myriad cases. At a hospital with no residents, you will be second and first assisting, which can mean everything from driving the camera, retracting, suctioning, and cutting suture to actually throwing stitches, throwing ties, manipulating tissue, drilling, etc. As a regular old ST (you get the CST designation after taking one of the national exams), I've gotten to do tons of awesome stuff and have seen many cases.

The vast majority of these jobs will require at least a surgical tech certification, which is typically a 9-12 month program that covers a&p, medical terminology, instrumentation, and clinicals. At the end, you are eligible to take the CST exam. However, I have yet to meet a surgical tech who has taken it. Most jobs will say they prefer CST certification, but you can easily get hired without it.

Now, some jobs will be willing to hire you without a surgical tech certificate. These will most likely be private surgical tech jobs or very small hospitals or surgical centers. It is getting more difficult to get these types of jobs with the degree creep. Many ORs now are only hiring BSNs and LVNs. But you can typically still easily get a job as an ST if you get good experience during clinicals and sell it in your resume and interview.

As far as getting ST versus paramedic, you will have a larger scope of practice guaranteed with paramedic. You may be able to do a LOT as an ST, but it will be institution and surgeon dependent. That said, ST is easier to get into and takes way less time. For paramedic, you have to have your basic and I think a minimum number of hours in an ambulance, and then it is another year of schooling. Not sure how much paramedics get paid, but I made $27/hr as a surgical tech without national certification.

If you have any specific questions please ask!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Matthew9Thirtyfive might be able to help with the surgical questions. These jobs tend to require certifications.i am unsure of who told you they were going to hire you right out of highschool without a certification.
The jobs that require less training will be CNA, pharm tech, environmental services, medical assistant, volunteering. Schools want to see that you are interested in medicine and have some exposure to patients.
Why don't you focus on performing well in college first and then once you are doing well in college go find ecs.

Thanks

Surgical technician jobs are excellent ways to get a ton of paid clinical experience. Even at large university hospitals, you will be right in there scrubbed in on myriad cases. At a hospital with no residents, you will be second and first assisting, which can mean everything from driving the camera, retracting, suctioning, and cutting suture to actually throwing stitches, throwing ties, manipulating tissue, drilling, etc. As a regular old ST (you get the CST designation after taking one of the national exams), I've gotten to do tons of awesome stuff and have seen many cases.

The vast majority of these jobs will require at least a surgical tech certification, which is typically a 9-12 month program that covers a&p, medical terminology, instrumentation, and clinicals. At the end, you are eligible to take the CST exam. However, I have yet to meet a surgical tech who has taken it. Most jobs will say they prefer CST certification, but you can easily get hired without it.

Now, some jobs will be willing to hire you without a surgical tech certificate. These will most likely be private surgical tech jobs or very small hospitals or surgical centers. It is getting more difficult to get these types of jobs with the degree creep. Many ORs now are only hiring BSNs and LVNs. But you can typically still easily get a job as an ST if you get good experience during clinicals and sell it in your resume and interview.

As far as getting ST versus paramedic, you will have a larger scope of practice guaranteed with paramedic. You may be able to do a LOT as an ST, but it will be institution and surgeon dependent. That said, ST is easier to get into and takes way less time. For paramedic, you have to have your basic and I think a minimum number of hours in an ambulance, and then it is another year of schooling. Not sure how much paramedics get paid, but I made $27/hr as a surgical tech without national certification.

If you have any specific questions please ask!

So if I get the AHA certifications that the employers like to see such as BLS, ACLS, PALS, BCLS, they'd likely hire even though the requirements say CST is needed and not just preferred? Also, what all did you have that met their requirements and who did you work for?

So if I get the AHA certifications that the employers like to see such as BLS, ACLS, PALS, BCLS, they'd likely hire even though the requirements say CST is needed and not just preferred? Also, what all did you have that met their requirements and who did you work for?
Your employer will provide you with BLS, ACLS, PALS, BCLS. They want training from a vocational school to offer the position in lieu of the certification.

So the only AHA certification that you will likely need would be BLS, and the employer will likely provide you with that (but having it won't hurt). I was never required to get anything else.

As for me, I went through a 9-mo surgical tech program before I started college. I worked first at a university affiliated community hospital (5.5 years) and then a very small community hospital for 2 years. I never took the national CST exam, as it would have only given me a quarter an hour more. My first job was the first one I applied to, and what got me that job was my interview. I had no actual experience other than school, but I really sold it in the interview that I wouldn't need a very long orientation and that I was in it to win it so to speak.

If you're already in school and really want to go for this, you can probably find a program that has class in the evenings or over the summer or something. Otherwise, I recommend doing some shadowing in an OR so that when you apply you can say you've at least seen what a surg tech does. If you're going to apply without the school, you will likely need to apply very broadly.

So the only AHA certification that you will likely need would be BLS, and the employer will likely provide you with that (but having it won't hurt). I was never required to get anything else.

As for me, I went through a 9-mo surgical tech program before I started college. I worked first at a university affiliated community hospital (5.5 years) and then a very small community hospital for 2 years. I never took the national CST exam, as it would have only given me a quarter an hour more. My first job was the first one I applied to, and what got me that job was my interview. I had no actual experience other than school, but I really sold it in the interview that I wouldn't need a very long orientation and that I was in it to win it so to speak.

If you're already in school and really want to go for this, you can probably find a program that has class in the evenings or over the summer or something. Otherwise, I recommend doing some shadowing in an OR so that when you apply you can say you've at least seen what a surg tech does. If you're going to apply without the school, you will likely need to apply very broadly.

Well be starting university next Fall. And am going to be 18 in June. So trying to find an ST job to begin before then and I've found quite a few good ones but realized they all wanted CST. BUT after being given your advice, what do you recommend I should do exactly to even have a good chance of being hired. Especially on account of my age. Though am willing to relocate due to university online classes for undergrad. Just need something that does at least 24 an hour. Also, quite confident on interviews so can relate to when you said that's what your hire was based off haha.

I would definitely not switch to online courses just to go to an ST program. You can probably find an evening program if you really want to do it.

If you can't make it to a program, I would cold call some of the jobs asking if they will consider someone without the CST and just send my resume to all of them. Write a professional, motivated cover letter and just hope someone bites.

I would definitely not switch to online courses just to go to an ST program. You can probably find an evening program if you really want to do it.

If you can't make it to a program, I would cold call some of the jobs asking if they will consider someone without the CST and just send my resume to all of them. Write a professional, motivated cover letter and just hope someone bites.

Well I do like fishing haha. But the online undergrad classes are already established. So that's beneficial with convenience. So do you think it'll be effective if I get all the AHA certifications I can prior to applying? And if so, what else do you recommend adding on the interview or application to excuse or shy away from the absence of CST? And as to the ST programs, they're difficult to find nearby and no online ones seem legit.

Again, thank you.

Well I do like fishing haha. But the online undergrad classes are already established. So that's beneficial with convenience. So do you think it'll be effective if I get all the AHA certifications I can prior to applying? And if so, what else do you recommend adding on the interview or application to excuse or shy away from the absence of CST? And as to the ST programs, they're difficult to find nearby and no online ones seem legit.

Again, thank you.

Definitely don't do an online one. They are scams probably. You don't need anything past BLS, and that's only if you really want to get something. A private practice may like that you already have it, but any hospital or surgical center will just put you through the course. You don't have to spend money on it if you don't want to.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what you should write. I would shadow in an OR if you can, read about sterile technique, and read about some procedures or watch OR live. What got me my first job was convincing them that I'd be able to hold my own and carry my weight almost right off the bat. But I spend time scrubbed in actually up at the field doing the job. You want to show them you've been in an OR before, know what the instruments are, and know what sterile technique is. If they don't have to start from scratch, you'll be in a better position.

You might not get anything without going through a program, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Definitely don't do an online one. They are scams probably. You don't need anything past BLS, and that's only if you really want to get something. A private practice may like that you already have it, but any hospital or surgical center will just put you through the course. You don't have to spend money on it if you don't want to.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what you should write. I would shadow in an OR if you can, read about sterile technique, and read about some procedures or watch OR live. What got me my first job was convincing them that I'd be able to hold my own and carry my weight almost right off the bat. But I spend time scrubbed in actually up at the field doing the job. You want to show them you've been in an OR before, know what the instruments are, and know what sterile technique is. If they don't have to start from scratch, you'll be in a better position.

You might not get anything without going through a program, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Were you put through any of the courses needed by your employer? If so were you still being paid? And yes I've been studying tools and techniques, also, about to contact a few actual surgeons of a couple different kinds to shadow. That's so cool that you're giving advice to me and you've actually done it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you put through any of the courses needed by your employer? If so were you still being paid? And yes I've been studying tools and techniques, also, about to contact a few actual surgeons of a couple different kinds to shadow. That's so cool that you're giving advice to me and you've actually done it.

Yes. My employer put me through BLS during orientation. I was paid.

Also, my instructor had a huge pet peeve about calling the instruments "tools." She always said tools are something you buy in the home improvement section of Target haha. She made it seem like only someone who had no experience in the OR calls them tools. Then I got to my first job, and the Chief of Surgery called them tools. :smack:

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. My employer put me through BLS during orientation. I was paid.

Also, my instructor had a huge pet peeve about calling the instruments "tools." She always said tools are something you buy in the home improvement section of Target haha. She made it seem like only someone who had no experience in the OR calls them tools. Then I got to my first job, and the Chief of Surgery called them tools. :smack:

45d2ba788e8d9687ff36123d4892352b.jpg

Thanks for the tip. Where did you work at? What was the hospital cause the only ones I find are only like 20 to 22 an hour.

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 212350

Thanks for the tip. Where did you work at? What was the hospital cause the only ones I find are only like 20 to 22 an hour.

I worked in a medium sized hospital in South Jersey. Just spam them all. And honestly, $20-22 is great for an uncertified tech. I was making $27 after working there for 4 years. I started out at $14.50. Two years later, I was making over $20 and we hired a new tech at $18. Talk about COA.

View attachment 212350

Not far from me southeast NY. Gonna just get a couple certifications and study INSTRUMENTS and shadow before even starting the resume. Do you think the hospitals would like if I'm willing to relocate to them fit the job? Also I can't find any emails to surgeons only their office numbers and could I ask them? Or do you know any I could shadow?

I don't know any off the top of my head in NY. I know some in South Jersey, but honestly it's been 6+ years since I've seen or talked to any of them. Just call offices or go in person. That's not really an email kind of thing. If you have a personal doctor, they definitely have a relationship with at least one surgeon. They might be able to make a call for you.

I don't know any off the top of my head in NY. I know some in South Jersey, but honestly it's been 6+ years since I've seen or talked to any of them. Just call offices or go in person. That's not really an email kind of thing. If you have a personal doctor, they definitely have a relationship with at least one surgeon. They might be able to make a call for you.

How do you think the willingness to relocate would impress the employer?

I moved to Texas for my second job. If I wanted the job, I had to relocate. It's not all that impressive, I don't think. If you applied and live elsewhere, you are probably willing to relocate. You probably won't be the only one.

Edit: it might give you a little boost for commitment.

I moved to Texas for my second job. If I wanted the job, I had to relocate. It's not all that impressive, I don't think. If you applied and live elsewhere, you are probably willing to relocate. You probably won't be the only one.

Edit: it might give you a little boost for commitment.

This is really something. Well I'm going to call and go in the nearest surgeons of a couple different kinds to shadow. Just need to think of what to say.

Its precise to say that I have a fear of them looking down on an applicant without a program certification. Course, you did say you have yet to meet an ST who has. Also can put that will be in university at the time? I'd be happy to take the program after but it takes quite a while and don't have the time. I've been studying procedures and let's just say, could set up an OR quite well. Still studying though. But your advice is really helpful. Thank you.

Hey, Happy Holidays, I'm about to call. I have no idea how to ask. Any suggestions?

Hey, Happy Holidays, I'm about to call. I have no idea how to ask. Any suggestions?

You're calling your personal doctor? You'll probably just get the staff. I would make an appointment for a "sore throat" or a routine physical or something and then ask in person. Otherwise, just ask if you can speak to the doc or if he can call you back.

I would ask about shadowing opportunities with your PCP. You need that for med school anyway. While you're doing that you can ask if he has any contacts with surgeons that you could shadow and go from there.

You're calling your personal doctor? You'll probably just get the staff. I would make an appointment for a "sore throat" or a routine physical or something and then ask in person. Otherwise, just ask if you can speak to the doc or if he can call you back.

I would ask about shadowing opportunities with your PCP. You need that for med school anyway. While you're doing that you can ask if he has any contacts with surgeons that you could shadow and go from there.
I was gonna call a real surgeon which would have to go through the office first.

I was gonna call a real surgeon which would have to go through the office first.

Then I would simply ask the office staff if he accepts shadows and what the process is for setting that up. You just have to ask. You may have to call a few before you get a bite.