Help. I want to be an optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpmth3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just finished my junior year in college. I am majoring in English, and because of that I have not taken most of the required courses for optometry school. I am going to start taking the science classes after I graduate, and wonder if taking post-baccalaureate classes are looked down upon. I have some questions about optometry, and hope that you guys would help. Any input at all would be just great!

I really want to get into the SUNY optometry school, since I am in-state and it will really take the load off financially. I want to know how competitive SUNY is with GPA, science GPA, OAT's, etc. Just any information you guys would like to share that would help with admissions.

I am trying to shadow/work for a non-commercial, private practicing optometrist, and would like some strategies in doing so. I really want to get some experience so that 1) I can learn more about the field 2) to validate my desire to do this.

Also, if I have to complete more classes, do I have to wait until all my classes are fulfilled before applying? Some deadlines are in December, and what if I am going to take classes until April after graduation?

Any other suggestions would be super helpful.
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
I just finished my junior year in college. I am majoring in English, and because of that I have not taken most of the required courses for optometry school. I am going to start taking the science classes after I graduate, and wonder if taking post-baccalaureate classes are looked down upon. I have some questions about optometry, and hope that you guys would help. Any input at all would be just great!

I really want to get into the SUNY optometry school, since I am in-state and it will really take the load off financially. I want to know how competitive SUNY is with GPA, science GPA, OAT's, etc. Just any information you guys would like to share that would help with admissions.

I am trying to shadow/work for a non-commercial, private practicing optometrist, and would like some strategies in doing so. I really want to get some experience so that 1) I can learn more about the field 2) to validate my desire to do this.

Also, if I have to complete more classes, do I have to wait until all my classes are fulfilled before applying? Some deadlines are in December, and what if I am going to take classes until April after graduation?

Any other suggestions would be super helpful.
Thanks so much!

I don't think post grad classes are looked down upon, unless you don't come off like you REALLY want to be an optometrist. You're going to need to explain why you decided this with an english degree. I suggest you start taking the prerequisites next year. It will take 2 years to do them all. Finish your english too next year, or the year after. SUNY accepts higher GPAs...probably 3.3 the lowest, and up. You'll need an OAT of at least 330 probably. You just need to complete all the prerequisites of SUNY, check their website. Start shadowing now to validate you want to do this...and to have hands on experiences that you can talk about at your interview and in your application essays.

Good luck! :)