HELP!! .......I have an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinegirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have an upcoming interview (aug 8 to be exact) at EVMS in Norfolk, Va. I am a little nervous about what they will ask. I figure they will ask me the obvious questions such as "Why PA?", "Could u tell me about yourself", and ask me questions regarding how I deal with authority. What I am nervous about are situational questions ("What would you do if....?") they will ask.

Another issue is, I have previously applied to medical school (at EVMS and others), was not accepted, and PA is plan B. I do not want the program to think that I am flighty, for I am sure they will ask me why I changed my goals to MD to PA. I have done my research on PA's and have shadowed one PA cardiologist and two in nephrology. To me the field is a very respectable and rewarding one.

The point is, could anyone give me some advice on preparing for the interview?? Better yet, is there anyone who has recently gone throught the PA interview process at EVMS, for I would like to know specific questions they asked you. Regardless, I would like to know what to expect in the interview.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long message. I'd also like to say that it is certainly a privileged to be able to participate in this forum. This is my first time using the forums. It's comforting to be among a group of ppl sharing the same goals, obstacles, fears, concerns, etc. I'm excited about what i will learn from all of you! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I'm sorry that I won't be able to give you any advice or experiences...but just wanted to wish you luck on your interview. Sounds as though you are really prepared!!

Thanks harrypotter for your encouragement!! It means just as much as if I were to have received advice. Let me know of any info I can pass along to you. :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I'm looking at both med school and PA school, and one possibility for me would be to change gears and apply to PA school, if med school doesn't work out.

If that were my situation, I imagine I'd say something like, "the important thing for me is to get the training and experience I need to develop the skills I believe I have. I want to care for patients, and I won't be satisfied unless I can get the education to bring my abilities up to where I feel they can be. This program will give me my best chance to make that happen."

And oddly enough, from asking the question myself I learned that a PA program may or may not even be aware that you applied to the med program at the same school. If they mention it, cool, but if not, just concentrate on "why PA?" in terms of "because it's the best way for me to do what I need to do."

Now, if that's not really true, and you'd ACTUALLY rather be in med school... well, that's a different story. Good luck!

Hey Medicinegirl,

I would definitely try to avoid saying that you are falling back on PA school, because Medical School didn't work out. That's exactly what PA schools do not want to hear. As you know, PAs have their own very important role in patient care, you should try to emphasize what you would like about being a PA. It would be great if you could mention some advantages of being a PA over being an MD. Lifestyle for example, being about to have time to have a life outside of medicine. If you can't think of anything, then get back in touch with the PAs that you shadowed. They've got the experience to tell you what they like about being PAs, and could probably give you lots of helpful information.

Good luck!!!!

-kmturn

By the way, I'm from Lynchburg too!