Help!!! How to improve my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NGMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so i was planning on applying to medical school in the 2019 cycle, but i had a particularly terrible year last year, i'm in my last year at my school and so i only have 1 more year to build it back up. I already plan on taking a gap year so im here asking what kind of advice anyone here can give me on what to do with that gap year.
Current GPA; 3.4
Descent research volunteering and clinical experience.
I also have not taken the MCAT yet, i looked online and so a lot the MEDPATH and GEMS program but they needed me to have taken the MCAT by September and to have submitted the AMCAS application, I hadnt planned on doing any of this now, and im not sure i would be able to put together a descent application in time.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't be able to apply this current cycle. You should be able to apply next cycle (the one opening next June, the 2020 cycle).

A strong MCAT score is your number 1 priority. As a URM, a 508 or better with a 3.4 should be reasonably successful with a good school list. The higher, the better, and a little lower might still be possible but will narrow your potential school options.

First, as you already know, do well in your last year in school. You are taking time off which will give you time to work on ECs, volunteering, and other things. For that reason, prioritize school this year over everything else. Getting good grades and studying for the MCAT should be your only academic responsibilities (step back from clubs, volunteering, etc. to ensure that you can bounce back 100%).

As for what to do with your gap year, that depends a lot on your application as it stands. What are your current ECs? For most, clinical experience is the most valuable thing to add during a gap year. Working as a scribe is one good example that can also earn you some money.

Reactions: 1 user
You won't be able to apply this current cycle. You should be able to apply next cycle (the one opening next June, the 2020 cycle).

A strong MCAT score is your number 1 priority. As a URM, a 508 or better with a 3.4 should be reasonably successful with a good school list. The higher, the better, and a little lower might still be possible but will narrow your potential school options.

First, as you already know, do well in your last year in school. You are taking time off which will give you time to work on ECs, volunteering, and other things. For that reason, prioritize school this year over everything else. Getting good grades and studying for the MCAT should be your only academic responsibilities (step back from clubs, volunteering, etc. to ensure that you can bounce back 100%).

As for what to do with your gap year, that depends a lot on your application as it stands. What are your current ECs? For most, clinical experience is the most valuable thing to add during a gap year. Working as a scribe is one good example that can also earn you some money.
I have pretty good ECs except clinical hours, I started shadowing an orthopedic surgeon at my school but hr wouldn't have time for me once med students start their rotations but im.going to do some volunteering a hospital 3 hours a week this semester

I have pretty good ECs except clinical hours, I started shadowing an orthopedic surgeon at my school but hr wouldn't have time for me once med students start their rotations but im.going to do some volunteering a hospital 3 hours a week this semester
Good. Then you can focus on MCAT + grades now and then clinical Xp + whatever else you fancy doing during your gap year!