Help for applying for Physical Therapy???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbean824

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I am considering a career in physical therapy, I think it would be good to have a basic idea of when to apply. The school I would plan on attending has a 3+3 program for the MPT. So basically if you work hard and plan correctly you could be done in a minimum of six years. To be accepted into the program you must have a a minimum of 90 credit hours including pre-requisiites. What I don't understand is when to apply. Do I have to have all the 90 hours completed just to apply? If I had 90 hours I could be classified as a "senior" and the MPT program is supposed to start during your "senior" year. Applications are accepted from September through November which is already during the semester. It may be a fairly simple answer, but any help would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

You need a bachelors degree or a semester away from completing it before applying the PT school.

Schools that use the 6 year thing often have a pre physical therapy or bachelors portion then the professional portion.

Some PT programs look at the last 60-90 hours of your college career.. Look at your GPA, semester GPA, etc..

Start applying to PT school (this year) in August if you know you will graduate to start a program next year.

Another question is do you have any observation hours? Get at least 100 hours in various settings..The minimum requirement can be 25--50---100 ~ depends on the school. Dont do the minimun~and do at least 2-3 different settings (Peds, Nursing Home, Ortho, Sports, Aqua, Inpatient,Neuro, Wound Care, Home Health, ETC).

Read my post in DPT started by student 30. I basically blew my whole brain up on giving advice on getting in PT school..Anyone with a good GPA (3.0 +) GRE1000 can get to PT school. There are 200+ PT programs in the US. You just have to apply to tons of them. Its like playing the lottery.

Good Luck

Hi! I am planning on applying PT school this upcoming summer...I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to stand out so that I can get into the schools that I want to get into?

I am currently in my 2nd year of college with a pre-PT major, I'm a year ahead so I'll be graduating in 3 years total and applying when I am 20 years old. I am a tech at a clinic right now, I volunteer at a children's hospital every weekend, I currently working on getting some more inpatient hours. Also, I was a dancer so I teach/sub some dance classes and volunteer at my old studio's dance shows backstage. What else can I do to stand out? By the time I get out of undergrad, my GPA should be about a 3.8

Try posting your questions in a new thread in the pre-PT forum. Bumping this 7.5 year old thread in the wrong forum probably won't be as helpful. :) Heck this thread was started when MPT programs were still the main thing lol

And it really is more about having a strong GPA and GRE scores, a wide variety of observation hours, strong letters of recommendation and essay, and a good interview. Your extracurriculars have only a marginal impact on the application process.