[Help!] Do we really get scores in 3 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihateverbal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in an interesting predicament.
I got accepted for transferring medical schools. However, lets say in the rare possibility that I fail USMLE (95% pass rate), I would be stuck at my current medical school and lose my transfer position. In a situation like this, my dean says I should enroll in a clinical clerkship 2 unit course in order for me to continue for the next rotation (since I'd miss a rotation to re-study).

However, as an out of state at my current medical school, it's ridiculously expensive and units are charged as blocks, meaning a 2 unit course could cost me as much as $10,000 ($20,000/semester), since 2 units is part time.

The drop date to get my refund would be July 17th Friday. I'm taking the exam on June 22nd which is a Monday. That's exactly 3.5 weeks away.

I would hate to drop $10,000 and find out I pass, and lose it all.

So I'm wondering, is it ALWAYS and HAS BEEN 3 weeks consistently for everyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in an interesting predicament.
I got accepted for transferring medical schools. However, lets say in the rare possibility that I fail USMLE (95% pass rate), I would be stuck at my current medical school and lose my transfer position. In a situation like this, my dean says I should enroll in a clinical clerkship 2 unit course in order for me to continue for the next rotation (since I'd miss a rotation to re-study).

However, as an out of state at my current medical school, it's ridiculously expensive and units are charged as blocks, meaning a 2 unit course could cost me as much as $10,000 ($20,000/semester), since 2 units is part time.

The drop date to get my refund would be July 17th Friday. I'm taking the exam on June 22nd which is a Monday. That's exactly 3.5 weeks away.

I would hate to drop $10,000 and find out I pass, and lose it all.

So I'm wondering, is it ALWAYS and HAS BEEN 3 weeks consistently for everyone?

Not sure how long it takes to get scores back exactly, but just wanted to mention that if you get a fredv2 exam you are looking at a 6-8 week wait time. Hopefully it all works out for you!

Does USMLE accomodate?
How do I know if i have Fred1 vs Fred 2? and can I request or find out which I have before the exam?

Anyone know of anything that can be helpful?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those taking the exam in the middle or end of July...does it go back to 3-4 weeks or is it still 6-8 weeks? 2 months is a ridiculously long time to wait for scores!

Exactly

I would hate to pay for my tuition (to hold my spot at my past med school) find out I pass and will transfer out to a different med school, and not get my refund of $10,000 because I missed the deadline because of slow score reporting.

personal experience: tested with fred v1 on a Thursday; 20 days later on Wednesday at 0635 score was posted.

I also have a test date for mid july, so thinking that I will probably be getting Fred v2, i'm wondering if they'll go back to 3 week score reporting?