Help Deciding what to do during Gap Year!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matchafun17

Reaction score
Hi! I desperately need help/advice choosing what to do during my gap year. I just graduated college in May this year and am planning to apply to Medical School next year in 2020. I'm currently working as a part time medical assistant/scribe in a private dermatology clinic. For my other days of the week, I'm trying to decide between volunteering with clinical research at a hospital vs volunteering in a hospital's risk management office. I've done research in college but it was more of a wet lab type so I've never done clinical research before. I'm just not sure which will be better for my application.... I've asked people and have gotten different answers, some say hospital risk management is better because it's more unique and others say clinical research because it's dealing more directly with patients compared to risk management. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I desperately need help/advice choosing what to do during my gap year. I just graduated college in May this year and am planning to apply to Medical School next year in 2020. I'm currently working as a part time medical assistant/scribe in a private dermatology clinic. For my other days of the week, I'm trying to decide between volunteering with clinical research at a hospital vs volunteering in a hospital's risk management office. I've done research in college but it was more of a wet lab type so I've never done clinical research before. I'm just not sure which will be better for my application.... I've asked people and have gotten different answers, some say hospital risk management is better because it's more unique and others say clinical research because it's dealing more directly with patients compared to risk management. What do you guys think?
You have a job where you interact with patients. What is your community service activity where you help those with poor economic resources? That would be a better choice than research or back-office volunteering.