Help deciding on a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dentistry.masterd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have 2 job offers that I'm trying to decide between and as a newer dentist, any advice or help would be appreciated. I'm a general dentist btw.

Current back ground: I mainly do fillings, crown/bridge and a lot of dentures (which I hate doing). My offices don't do any endo so I have basically no endo experience. I also only really do very limited simple extractions. I'm one year out from school and trying to decide on a job that I can stay at for longer than a year and get more experience to become well rounded.

Here are the 2 offers I am trying to decide between which are both in big metropolitan areas:

1) I would be going between 4-5 different offices, 1 year contract, need to give 90 day notice, 33% collections, 33% lab fees. Pt population is about 70% kids/30% adults. Owner would mentor and help get me up to speed with working with kids as I don't really see kids right now at my current job. no restrictive covenant.

2) I would be at one office, 90 day at will "trial period" where owner can let me go if I'm not at the speed they want me to be at essentially. 27% adjusted production is I produced at least $3,500/day or if it's below that my adjusted production pay would be 26%. daily minimum of $600/day for first 3 months then $500/day for the next 3 months. Pt population is adults, no medicaid pts. 5 mile restrictive covenant for 2 years. They said the lead dentist would help mentor but not sure what type of mentorship exactly and to what extent as I interviewed with the owner and not the lead dentist that the owner hired.

Any advice would be appreciated! I like both offers but I'm worried I'll get too used to working with kids with the first job and lose the skills I've learned with working with adults. For the second one, I think I would get mentored with endo but compensation seems low, and they're not willing to negotiate.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I have 2 job offers that I'm trying to decide between and as a newer dentist, any advice or help would be appreciated. I'm a general dentist btw.

Current back ground: I mainly do fillings, crown/bridge and a lot of dentures (which I hate doing). My offices don't do any endo so I have basically no endo experience. I also only really do very limited simple extractions. I'm one year out from school and trying to decide on a job that I can stay at for longer than a year and get more experience to become well rounded.

Here are the 2 offers I am trying to decide between which are both in big metropolitan areas:

1) I would be going between 4-5 different offices, 1 year contract, need to give 90 day notice, 33% collections, 33% lab fees. Pt population is about 70% kids/30% adults. Owner would mentor and help get me up to speed with working with kids as I don't really see kids right now at my current job. no restrictive covenant.

2) I would be at one office, 90 day at will "trial period" where owner can let me go if I'm not at the speed they want me to be at essentially. 27% adjusted production is I produced at least $3,500/day or if it's below that my adjusted production pay would be 26%. daily minimum of $600/day for first 3 months then $500/day for the next 3 months. Pt population is adults, no medicaid pts. 5 mile restrictive covenant for 2 years. They said the lead dentist would help mentor but not sure what type of mentorship exactly and to what extent as I interviewed with the owner and not the lead dentist that the owner hired.

Any advice would be appreciated! I like both offers but I'm worried I'll get too used to working with kids with the first job and lose the skills I've learned with working with adults. For the second one, I think I would get mentored with endo but compensation seems low, and they're not willing to negotiate.

Thank you!
I posted my 2 cents on another thread:

To be honest, I dislike both of the options because the compensations are not that great. I usually advise recently graduated colleagues to focus more on building clinical skills than following the money. In my opinion, a new general dentist should be able to perform basic root canals, simple/surgical extractions, and removable/fixed prostheses with no restrictions by the office manager. So it is a red flag if they limit your scope of practice. Whatever opportunity that gives you various procedures and helps you grow better as a clinician would be beneficial in the long term.

That being said, if I really had to pick between the two options, I would pick Option 2 where you can only work in one location, build the patient pool, and get the mentorship. But as you get more comfortable with your skill sets, I would negotiate your compensation up to 30% adjusted production after a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah thats going to be a hard pass on both, keep looking

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes good offers are hard to come by depends on a the location you want to live, if you are open to venture outside your current location that might be of benefit for you. Find a job that can train you well and get paid, pick a location that you could possible enjoy for at least 2 years as most contract will be 2 years. I have done pretty much everything, I worked for a group practice after dental school then bought a practice 4 months later, kept that practice for 12 years then sold it took 6 months break, worked as a locum dentist in 3 different states for 6 months , worked for different DSO's so PM me if you want more specific, with DSO. My husband is in medical school well in Clinical rotations so been around in different states :) Choosing what is best for you all depends on location with work, but there is plenty out there. find what you love to do and get paid for it...your 2 options are not viable choice right now. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.