Help deciding between two different SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicallyEnthused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently have been accepted to a few SMPs and am having a really hard time deciding between two programs that I am seriously considering. I am waiting on a few others (that I will take over these two), but it's unlikely I will get accepted - they are a lot more competitive - Temple ACMS and Cincinnati.

Anyways the two programs I got into are New York Medical College Interdisciplinary Basic Medical Sciences (2 year track) and Rutgers University (Newark) Medical Scholars Biomedical Science Program. Below are some pros and cons I came up with, but any input assisting in deciding would be very helpful!

New York Medical College:

Pros:

-Conditional Interview to NYMC SOM, as well as 2 associated DO schools (Touro university) - 506 MCAT and 3.4 GPA in the program.
-Master's courses closely mirrors the 1st year of med school curriculum and is taught my faculty from the school of medicine - Program director told me there is about 90% overlap on average (depending on the course).
-Discounted MCAT Kaplan Course (If my retake this summer doesn't work out).
-Very small class size (around 30ish students).
-More structured curriculum.
-Opportunities for research (outside of curriculum) --> I'm going with the more didactic track
-Extremely inclusive (more so than the average medical school)

Cons:
-2 years long (I don't think this will affect my overall timeline, as I intend to apply to medical school after the 1st year).
-Literature review during 2nd year.
-More expensive cost of living.
-Slightly more expensive tuition (over entire program).

Rutgers University (Newark):

Pros:

-Conditional Interview to New Jersey Medical School - 508 MCAT and 3.6 GPA in the program.
-1 year long.
-Option to take actual medical school courses (limited enrollment).
-Some of the master's courses are similar to medical school courses - I don't think the master's courses are taught by SOM faculty though.
-Discounted Uworld subscription (If my retake this summer doesn't work out).
-Some research part of the curriculum.
-Volunteer opportunities available.
-Cheaper tuition (over entire program).
-Cheaper cost of living.

Cons:
-Master's courses are more commonly late in the evenings, only once a week.
-Larger class size.
-More flexible curriculum and part time option (This could be a pro, but I consider a con for what I am looking for).

Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: