Help!! DAT Prep Crisis!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsta2304

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm contemplating taking the DAT in January!! Just recently decided that i'll be taking kaplan's online prep course. Course i'll be taking runs from July 26th - September 11th. Do you guys recommend going ahead and taking the DAT immediately after the exam?? Because I'm considering taking the course now, waiting till the fall semsester is over, self-studying for all of christmas break and then taking the DAT before the spring semester??? I am doing so because i'll be taking a heavy course load in the fall and I know kaplan offers a free second course if you dont like your original score, so what would be best to do??

Members don't see this ad.

I would write the DAT before the spring semester. Don't rush to write the DAT, last thing you want to do is end up with a low score.

Reactions: 1 user
From recent experience, I would not take the Kaplan test prep. I used it this summer to prepare for my DAT. I heard some good things about it and ignorantly thought that something so expensive HAS to be good. WRONG!! complete waste of time. Their tests do not accurately represent the actual DAT. The material given, is not enough. I spent over a month just using Kaplan and I felt like I knew nothing more than I did when I began (which rang true when I made the exact same score on a practice test a month into the course, that I made on my diagnostic exam). I then got DAT Destroyer, Chads videos, and DAT Bootcamp. These are BY FAR the better way to go. I would never take Kaplan again or recommend it to anyone. If you do still choose to take it, though, I don't think self-studying is a bad idea. Thats what I did for a month after Kaplan, because I still had a LOT to learn. And you would be surprised how much you can learn in just a month! As long as you know you will be able to make yourself sit down and study, you will be fine!

Reactions: 1 users
I would second not taking the Kaplan course and using the money towards better resources that you can time out better with your schedule, if that's an option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why all the bashing of Kaplan, it is quite unnecessary and they will help you build a good foundation for the DAT. I do agree you will need to supplement with other materials too. Please feel free to message me and I will be more then happy to discuss your situation.

Last edited:
I would second not taking the Kaplan course and using the money towards better resources that you can time out better with your schedule, if that's an option.

Why exactly is that? Seriously getting fed up with you guys manipulating people into thinking Kaplan is awful.

@jsta2304 Don't listen to half of these people on these forums, many of them have different agendas and try luring you into buying other products. Kaplan is a great resource but I would recommend you also use other resources along with it. At the end, you have to put in the time and work.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with Kaplan in that it will give you a relatively solid foundation. However, the price tag is a bit high for what it offers. Fair? @Orka

Don't listen to half of these people on these forums, many of them have different agendas iand try luring you into buying other products.

Aint that the truth. I haven't been around the forums that long but even I have seen the guerilla marketing that is implemented by a certain not-to-be-named website. Guess you can get around the rules when you on top

Not sure why all the bashing of Kaplan, it is quite unnecessary and they will help you build a good foundation for the DAT. I do agree you will need to supplement with other materials too. Please feel free to message me and I will be more then happy to discuss you situation.
I speak from experience and from my own opinion, just as you are. I honestly just wish someone would have told me the obvious down sides of Kaplan. I do not disagree about them helping you build a foundation, but personally, as a Biology major, I already had the foundation. Now, for someone who doesn't and has that kind of money, then go for it!
And just so it doesn't go unnoted, I am by NO WAY promoting any materials for money. I am not affiliated with anything! I am just speaking as someone who benefitted from them.

There's nothing wrong with Kaplan in that it will give you a relatively solid foundation. However, the price tag is a bit high for what it offers. Fair? @Orka

Aint that the truth. I haven't been around the forums that long but even I have seen the guerilla marketing that is implemented by a certain not-to-be-named website. Guess you can get around the rules when you on top

THIS^^^

yeah, no prep is worth ~1.2k dollars for there is always a degree of uncertainty as to what the outcome will be. As is the case with some really disappointed test takers.

As to whether or not kaplan deserves to be tarnished the way it is currently, I beg to disagree. Kaplan is just a bit outdated, but it still had some information that I found useful on the actual. As for avoiding the high price tag, you can easily buy their white or blue books for really cheap and compliment that with other FREE or cheaper resources.

Just my two cents. I just dont get the huge bashing that goes around in this forum...

THIS^^^

yeah, no prep is worth ~1.2k dollars for there is always a degree of uncertainty as to what the outcome will be. As is the case with some really disappointed test takers.

As to whether or not kaplan deserves to be tarnished the way it is currently, I beg to disagree. Kaplan is just a bit outdated, but it still had some information that I found useful on the actual. As for avoiding the high price tag, you can easily buy their white or blue books for really cheap and compliment that with other FREE or cheaper resources.

Just my two cents. I just dont get the huge bashing that goes around in this forum...

I don't know about their courses so I can't comment on that, but I personally used their textbooks and they were great. They were hands down better at teaching the material than most of the stuff people are recommending on these forums.

I don't know about their courses so I can't comment on that, but I personally used their textbooks and they were great. They were hands down better at teaching the material than most of the stuff people are recommending on these forums.
Agreed! I enjoyed the Book they sent with the course. it was a great overview! But after the foundation they give, I really benefitted from the Campbell Biology book (like $10 on Amazon!!) :)

Kaplan has built up a lot of trust and good reputation over the years, so they're able to charge the prices they do for their courses, and I think for many of the people who can afford it, it's worth it. That said, everyone's learning styles are different! That's why there's a variety of resources, which is great so we can choose what works for us. One of my friends who took the Kaplan course said he couldn't have done the DAT without it, because it gave him motivation and deadlines. Another friend who took it said it wasn't a good use of time for him because it didn't focus on his weak areas, and he didn't study much outside of it. He took the DAT twice actually and did better the second time with just self-study. I personally love building schedules and being self-motivated, so I don't think the course would suit me, but I'm certainly not bashing it, as it works for many. As for the original question, only you can know when you're ready! I would do a gut check after the first couple weeks of the course, but I agree with @Orka that you don't want to rush it if you don't have to.

Reactions: 2 users
Kaplan has built up a lot of trust and good reputation over the years, so they're able to charge the prices they do for their courses, and I think for many of the people who can afford it, it's worth it. That said, everyone's learning styles are different! That's why there's a variety of resources, which is great so we can choose what works for us. One of my friends who took the Kaplan course said he couldn't have done the DAT without it, because it gave him motivation and deadlines. Another friend who took it said it wasn't a good use of time for him because it didn't focus on his weak areas, and he didn't study much outside of it. He took the DAT twice actually and did better the second time with just self-study. I personally love building schedules and being self-motivated, so I don't think the course would suit me, but I'm certainly not bashing it, as it works for many. As for the original question, only you can know when you're ready! I would do a gut check after the first couple weeks of the course, but I agree with @Orka that you don't want to rush it if you don't have to.

I agree 100 percent with what you stated. Thank you for your post and giving Kaplan some due respect. They are the pioneers of the test prep industry and before them you just had you text books for study. They are not for everyone, but they have helped many students through the years and especially students that don't have the self discipline to study on their own.

Nancy

They are not for everyone, but they have helped many students through the years and especially students that don't have the self discipline to study on their own.
Exactly! For those who need structure, courses like Kaplan's really help. Us self-studiers can get angry about the price, but really that just means it's not the right format for us. To each his own, and so glad there are resources for many types of learners!