HELP!! Big College Decision !

stn55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into some really fantastic schools and programs and now I need some advice while choosing. I'm really new here, so bear with me :)

My top choices:

Baylor-Baylor med program (4 years Baylor undergrad, 4 years Baylor med)
Pros: Baylor Med = Awesome. I mean, absolutely incredible. TX weather is nice, people are wonderful, family near by. Baylor undergrad is free, and the students and professors there seem really great. I can apply to other med schools after 4 years (although I don't know why I would want to, because BCM is simply awesome)
Cons: Baylor undergrad is a little weak, I don't quite fit in as a Northerner, esp. at a Southern Baptist school. Waco (location of Baylor undergrad) is kind of in the middle of nowhere (no offense to anyone). Basically, it's definitely not my top choice undergrad, but one of my top choice meds. MCAT of 27 required

Northwestern HPME (3 years NW, 4 years Feinberg)
Pros: Awesome awesome undergrad and med. Feels perfect for me in terms of extracirrics. (Kellogg school of Management and Medill school of engineering near by, and I'm interested in both business and journalism a bit) Enthusiastic and incredibly gracious professors and students, great facilities. The other students, both in the program and otherwise, are simply incredible. 7 years, and it was my top choice when I was applying (although I'm learning that I need to keep an open mind about this). Alumni of the program seem to agree with my philosophy about medicine. Can apply to other med schools after 3 years, family close by, Chicago and Evanston are both fabulous places to live and go to school
Cons: I'll be paying debts the rest of my life, and my family will too. Money is seriously the key reason . (50,000 undergrad and about the same for med) Also Chicago weather during winter is bearable, but not preferred.

Penn State 6 year program
Pros: Closest to home, pretty affordable, 6 years, Penn State undergrad is tons of fun, (always a lot to do, many opportunities since it is such a large university) very close knit Program community.
Cons: Can't apply to other med schools, med school (Thomas Jefferson) isn't as strong as some of my other choices. 6 years feels a little too short for me to accomplish what I would like to accomplish in undergrad, maybe too much of a party school for me? MCAT 27 required, maybe not as flexible as I would have liked

Penn Dual Degree (Degree from Penn CAS in Life Sciences and from Wharton in 4 years)
Pros: Traditional undergrad, so I can explore a bit more. Very unique proram which combines the two disciplines. I'm interested in some public health/possible hospital admin. so the business degree is appealing. Penn is an amazing undergrad school I love dearly. Family close by, other students and professors extremely kind and absolutely incredible.
Cons: My heart is set on clinical medicine, and it can't be incredibly easy to study for MCATs while getting a dual degree (although students there do this). I'd have to get ready for med school (which I can definitely do). Not extremely affordable, but less expensive than NW

Basically, I love all of them. It's worth noting that I'm a type A person who would probably stress about school no matter what (believe it or not, I'm stressing even now as a senior :rolleyes:) However, I do greatly value that guarantee, and it'd be nice to be able to explore a little in undergrad and taking classes and joining clubs for reasons BESIDES pleasing a bunch of competitive med schools. I'm 95% confident that I'm going to practice clinical medicine, but I don't want to limit my choices, which is why NW is so great. Even if (for some strange reason) I decide not to go on to med school, I'll get a great education at NW (maybe better than Baylor or Penn State I think?). However, some people argue that undergrad is what I make of it and BCM is too good to turn down, so I should just head there, esp. because I'll come out of that with 80,000 debt total. And then there's the 6 year argument with Penn State and the traditional but highly unique UPenn program.

Thanks for reading through all this (I know it's quite long). I'd really appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd either go with Baylor or Penn State with preference to Baylor. It is not at all a weak undergrad institution, not that it matters anyway. Undergrad is all about what you make it, so this talk about accomplishing things is on you, not the school. That should not factor into your decision. Since you're in a combined program, your choice of undergrad school matters even less. It seems you'd be happy at any of these schools, so I'd advise following the money and quality of life, hence the preference for Baylor. Getting your MD in 6 years is great and all, but it's going to be quite stressful.

What if money was not an issue? Would you still recommend Baylor?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into some really fantastic schools and programs and now I need some advice while choosing. I'm really new here, so bear with me :)

My top choices:

Baylor-Baylor med program (4 years Baylor undergrad, 4 years Baylor med)
Pros: Baylor Med = Awesome. I mean, absolutely incredible. TX weather is nice, people are wonderful, family near by. Baylor undergrad is free, and the students and professors there seem really great. I can apply to other med schools after 4 years (although I don't know why I would want to, because BCM is simply awesome)
Cons: Baylor undergrad is a little weak, I don't quite fit in as a Northerner, esp. at a Southern Baptist school. Waco (location of Baylor undergrad) is kind of in the middle of nowhere (no offense to anyone). Basically, it's definitely not my top choice undergrad, but one of my top choice meds. MCAT of 27 required

Northwestern HPME (3 years NW, 4 years Feinberg)
Pros: Awesome awesome undergrad and med. Feels perfect for me in terms of extracirrics. (Kellogg school of Management and Medill school of engineering near by, and I'm interested in both business and journalism a bit) Enthusiastic and incredibly gracious professors and students, great facilities. The other students, both in the program and otherwise, are simply incredible. 7 years, and it was my top choice when I was applying (although I'm learning that I need to keep an open mind about this). Alumni of the program seem to agree with my philosophy about medicine. Can apply to other med schools after 3 years, family close by, Chicago and Evanston are both fabulous places to live and go to school
Cons: I'll be paying debts the rest of my life, and my family will too. Money is seriously the key reason . (50,000 undergrad and about the same for med) Also Chicago weather during winter is bearable, but not preferred.

Penn State 6 year program
Pros: Closest to home, pretty affordable, 6 years, Penn State undergrad is tons of fun, (always a lot to do, many opportunities since it is such a large university) very close knit Program community.
Cons: Can't apply to other med schools, med school (Thomas Jefferson) isn't as strong as some of my other choices. 6 years feels a little too short for me to accomplish what I would like to accomplish in undergrad, maybe too much of a party school for me? MCAT 27 required, maybe not as flexible as I would have liked

Penn Dual Degree (Degree from Penn CAS in Life Sciences and from Wharton in 4 years)
Pros: Traditional undergrad, so I can explore a bit more. Very unique proram which combines the two disciplines. I'm interested in some public health/possible hospital admin. so the business degree is appealing. Penn is an amazing undergrad school I love dearly. Family close by, other students and professors extremely kind and absolutely incredible.
Cons: My heart is set on clinical medicine, and it can't be incredibly easy to study for MCATs while getting a dual degree (although students there do this). I'd have to get ready for med school (which I can definitely do). Not extremely affordable, but less expensive than NW

Basically, I love all of them. It's worth noting that I'm a type A person who would probably stress about school no matter what (believe it or not, I'm stressing even now as a senior :rolleyes:) However, I do greatly value that guarantee, and it'd be nice to be able to explore a little in undergrad and taking classes and joining clubs for reasons BESIDES pleasing a bunch of competitive med schools. I'm 95% confident that I'm going to practice clinical medicine, but I don't want to limit my choices, which is why NW is so great. Even if (for some strange reason) I decide not to go on to med school, I'll get a great education at NW (maybe better than Baylor or Penn State I think?). However, some people argue that undergrad is what I make of it and BCM is too good to turn down, so I should just head there, esp. because I'll come out of that with 80,000 debt total. And then there's the 6 year argument with Penn State and the traditional but highly unique UPenn program.

Thanks for reading through all this (I know it's quite long). I'd really appreciate any advice!

i have two friends who are currently in the Penn State 6 year program, and they really like it. they definitely know when to relax (a.k.a. party) but it's definitely not a "party school".. they know their limits. i'd say if you really like the area and Jefferson then go for it.

i also have a friend in the Baylor med program, and although he liked the school, the environment was a bit too different for him to feel totally comfortable. although if you are worried about the cost (as it seems from your Northwestern remarks), then you should probably reconsider Baylor since the undergrad is NOT "weak" (what's your definition of "weak" anyway?? i highly doubt that they wouldn't give you a good education or preparation for their med program, especially since Baylor Med isn't a cakewalk).

as for Northwestern - the debt for higher education is worth it in the end. by the time you become a licensed, practicing physician, you'll eventually pay off your debt. you speak very highly of NW - if this is the place you really, really want to go, then you should go for it. it's a difficult program to get into, and you earned your place there. you should take advantage of what you've worked for. obviously the financial situation is tough, and i understand that you may not want to put the financial burden on your family, but really... this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. you could apply to NW med school later, but who's to say that they'll accept you then? many things change over the course of a year, and four years later, who knows what could happen?

best of luck with your decision, these are all really awesome programs.

I agree in principal, but $50k a year for undergrad is absolutely outrageous. That's even a lot for med school, in my opinion. I'd take free and happy over $200k in the hole and ecstatic any day. No question about it. If money wasn't an issue, I suppose I'd pick NW based on the info you've given, but money is most certainly an issue.

I say go with the Baylor option.

Are you sure that you want to go into medicine? I mean you say in your post that you're interested in business, journalism, engineering, public health, etc... and it is of course a good thing to have all these interests. I don't know much about these combined programs, but can you easily opt out of them if you change your mind? Are there any sort "penalties" (most likely these would be indirect) if you opt out? You definitely do not want to limit your choices. Of course, if you go to Penn or Northwestern (don't know much about Baylor or Penn State) you should be in good shape even if you ultimately decide not to pursue medicine. This is an extremely personal decision, but if I had to choose, I would go with Penn's dual degree program. I mean, I kinda wish I had applied there a few years back (probably wouldn't have gotten in anyways though).

Dear Stn55,

Thank you for your interest in Baylor College of Medicine. Please be aware Baylor University and Baylor College of Medicine are not affiliated. We give preferences to all applicants from all of the world.

Tennisball80 M.D. J.D. M.B.A. M.P.H. D.O. Ph.D. Ed.D LLB. PharmD. MPP.
Tennisball80
Signature

Dean of Baylor College of Medicine

I'm about as positive as a person my age can be about medicine. It doesn't mean I don't have other interests, which I think will contribute to my career. I love to write and would not give it up for anything, and most doctors need a background in business nowadays, I think. But one of the reasons I'm a bit afraid of the dual degree program is the fact that in the middle of management courses I'll feel as though I'm too far from my ultimate goal - my MD. Public health is interesting to me, but it wouldn't be worth it if I didn't have patients to treat.

The particular program I got into is a BA/MD with Baylor and BCM - I know they have no actual affiliation, but they do have this program for very few students.

Thanks for your help so far! It seems as though the Baylor option is very popular. Is coming out of school with debt that big a deal? I feel like I could pay off the NW debt or Penn debt over time if necessary...

Oh, and what does everyone think of the 6 year option? It would be kind of nice to finish early, Penn State and Jeff are great schools, and actually the students are not stressed much at all.

Are you a TX resident? Have you mapped out the total projected costs for each school? The Baylor option has to be by far the cheapest total, and it arguably puts you into the "best" med school.

Even if you are not a TX resident, the OOS tuition for Baylor Med is lower than the IS tuition at many schools...

I really am curious about these BS/MD programs... say you go to Penn's 6 year program, but then decide in year 2 that you don't want to do medicine anymore? Are you screwed, or can you easily just transition in to the regular undergrad program and do whatever you want? I know a friend who went into Miami's BS/MD program, but then decided that he didn't want to do medicine anymore and went into law. As far as I know, he was easily able to do this, save the fact that he had to stay at a much more expensive school when he could have gone a much cheaper route. Anyways, just curious. If the OP is smart and hardworking enough to get into all these programs, I'm sure he/she'll be succussful no matter where he goes or what he does.

Baylor

You said it will entail a free undergrad, and you only need a 27 MCAT to get into the med school. Getting a 27 is probably not going to get anyone into an allopathic medical school, so the fact that you will get into Baylor medical school with this score (when their average accepted MCAT is around a 36 or 37) is phenominal. I say go with this option! Best of luck to you :) !

Aww haha I was hoping you guys would say I should go to NW :p Is it really that clear that I should go to Baylor? I'm losing sleep over this decision, and it seems so clear to everyone here. Maybe it's just me. I think it's just that I'd like to enjoy my undergrad and I think I'd have a better time at NW than at Baylor, just because the students are prob. more like me. Then again, maybe I'd meet incredible people wherever I go? Plus, what if I decide that I don't want to stay in TX or something? I'll have spent 4 years at Baylor undergrad when I could have gone to a better school I guess. Then again, I won't lose any money, whereas with NW, if I changed my mind, I'd lose quite a bit. I know I should cross Penn off my list, but after visiting I just can't do that. I loved the people there.

:( Thanks for all the help and advice!

You'll meet tons of people like you at Baylor. It's an excellent school. I think you're far too preoccupied with the perceived quality of the school when in reality you'll get an amazing, top-notch education at any of your choices. Undergrad school usually matters little in med school admissions, and it's going to be totally moot for you since you'll already have a spot secured.

Damn you got into some FINE programs.

You must have worked your ass off in high school (some undergrads who went to crappy high schools and are lazy think that we are dumb high schoolers who know nothing and don't deserve medical school seats).

Props to you kid! May we know your stats?

I honestly don't think my stats had much to do with it. I'm a decent writer who could convey a strong passion for medicine, and I exposed myself to as many medical ECs as possible.

I feel as though NW med is just as good as Baylor med... (it's in the same tier and whatnot). Is coffeeandtea right? Could I just pay off the debt to NW when I got out? I don't mind cutting back a bit - I'm not a big spender in the first place. I'm also worried about lack of diversity at Baylor. Then again, maybe milkman is right, and I'm paying too much attention to the perceived quality of education...

Tiering in med school has absolutely no effect on what you're going to learn. Every school has to teach the same material. What prestige gets you is some extra academic and research clout, and neither of those are going to matter if you're going to be a clinician. When discussing larger schools, undergrad is almost exclusively what you make of it, so it's up to you how good your education is.

As far as debt goes, sure, you could pay off your NW debt after you graduate, but it's unhealthy to be so flip about such a huge amount of money. You're talking about probably an extra $400k - or at least $300k - when all is said and done for a pretty similar education. Even with a purdy 6-figure salary, that is a lot of cash.

Diversity is one of those crap concepts created by schools to sound unique. Don't worry about that. You'll find plenty of people from all sorts of backgrounds with as many interests to associate with at any of the schools you've listed.