HELP!!! Belmont vs Midwestern vs SIUE vs Lipscomb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ormanyray

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So I have been accepted into these four schools and cannot decide which one...have one week to put the deposit down...

Midwestern vs. Belmont vs. Lipscomb vs. SIUE

my top concerns: cost (housing and tuition) ,networking opportunities, overall quality of program..etc

I WANT TO CHOOSE ONE AND GIVE UP MY SEATS AT OTHER 3 SO SOMEONE ELSE GETS AN OPPORTUNITY...

SO PLEASE IF YOU CAN HELP, I WILL BE FOREVER THANKFUL!

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know that you got accepted to SIUE yet? I interviewed on Feb 8th, and we were told we would receive the verdict through snail mail and a PharmCAS message around the middle of March at the latest. I haven't seen or heard anything!! You're making me anxious now!

How do you know that you got accepted to SIUE yet? I interviewed on Feb 8th, and we were told we would receive the verdict through snail mail and a PharmCAS message around the middle of March at the latest. I haven't seen or heard anything!! You're making me anxious now!

MKM2007,

Sorry I meant to say pending SIUE...typo using my iPhone..

Did you applying elsewhere? Stlcop?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh good, I thought I didn't get in! .. I was accepted to Midwestern, anxiously awaiting an answer from SIUE, and my interview at UIC is coming up soon. I have wanted to go to SIUE since high school and it has always been my first choice, so I'm hoping to go there.

I can’t help you with Belmont or Lipscomb, because, well, I’ve only researched Illinois pharmacy schools and I’ve never heard of them. The first time I visited Midwestern before my interview, I had a bad gut feeling about it. Though that alone isn’t much help to you, I can tell you I also didn't like it because it's ridiculously expensive (I didn't take this into consideration much because it's the education that matters), the large class sizes, and the quarter system (though you'd get used to it). I just didn't like the program much in comparison to SIUE. It's just too far away from home for me to not LOVE it. I know my reasons for not wanting to go there aren't the best, it's just that my reasons for wanting to go to SIUE are better. There are some things I did like about Midwestern though. I love the area, the high security on campus, the staff seem to be helpful, lots of clubs and organizations to get involved in, there's lots of research opportunities if you're into that, and I thought it was cool that it is a medical campus. I do know that Midwestern is definitely a well respected school, and they have been around for a long time. I don't know how true this is, but I have also been told that employers in the Chicago area heavily favor Midwestern/UIC graduates. I know I listed more pros than cons, but I just didn't love it compared to SIUE (like I said, bad gut feeling).

That leads me to the things I personally like about SIUE. I love the campus (good gut feeling there :)), smaller class sizes, extraordinarily friendly and helpful staff, much closer to home for me, 20 minutes away from downtown St. Louis if you crave the city vibe (CARDINALS!), highest pass rate on NAPLEX and MPJE in the state of Illinois (HUGE pro), they also have some research opportunities, public university tuition is a pro, and a much lower cost of living than the Chicago area. Since you went to SIUE's interview, you know what I mean when I say they outlined the P1-P4 years in the introduction and how their program sets them apart from the other pharmacy schools in Illinois. I just love the program in comparison. I know most of my pros are not directly based on their program, and this is because we are looking at a specific type of school, pharmacy school, and the foundation is going to be similar among them all, so it's the little things that need to be considered, in my opinion. Also, quite a few of the pharmacists that I work with are graduates of SIUE, and they are absolutely the most competent pharmacists we have (and one from UIC!) in comparison to the ones from STLCOP. Hope this helps!

Oh good, I thought I didn't get in! .. I was accepted to Midwestern, anxiously awaiting an answer from SIUE, and my interview at UIC is coming up soon. I have wanted to go to SIUE since high school and it has always been my first choice, so I'm hoping to go there.

I can’t help you with Belmont or Lipscomb, because, well, I’ve only researched Illinois pharmacy schools and I’ve never heard of them. The first time I visited Midwestern before my interview, I had a bad gut feeling about it. Though that alone isn’t much help to you, I can tell you I also didn't like it because it's ridiculously expensive (I didn't take this into consideration much because it's the education that matters), the large class sizes, and the quarter system (though you'd get used to it). I just didn't like the program much in comparison to SIUE. It's just too far away from home for me to not LOVE it. I know my reasons for not wanting to go there aren't the best, it's just that my reasons for wanting to go to SIUE are better. There are some things I did like about Midwestern though. I love the area, the high security on campus, the staff seem to be helpful, lots of clubs and organizations to get involved in, there's lots of research opportunities if you're into that, and I thought it was cool that it is a medical campus. I do know that Midwestern is definitely a well respected school, and they have been around for a long time. I don't know how true this is, but I have also been told that employers in the Chicago area heavily favor Midwestern/UIC graduates. I know I listed more pros than cons, but I just didn't love it compared to SIUE (like I said, bad gut feeling).

That leads me to the things I personally like about SIUE. I love the campus (good gut feeling there :)), smaller class sizes, extraordinarily friendly and helpful staff, much closer to home for me, 20 minutes away from downtown St. Louis if you crave the city vibe (CARDINALS!), highest pass rate on NAPLEX and MPJE in the state of Illinois (HUGE pro), they also have some research opportunities, public university tuition is a pro, and a much lower cost of living than the Chicago area. Since you went to SIUE's interview, you know what I mean when I say they outlined the P1-P4 years in the introduction and how their program sets them apart from the other pharmacy schools in Illinois. I just love the program in comparison. I know most of my pros are not directly based on their program, and this is because we are looking at a specific type of school, pharmacy school, and the foundation is going to be similar among them all, so it's the little things that need to be considered, in my opinion. Also, quite a few of the pharmacists that I work with are graduates of SIUE, and they are absolutely the most competent pharmacists we have (and one from UIC!) in comparison to the ones from STLCOP. Hope this helps!

I completely understand your reasoning...to be honest with you I am leaning towards SIUE with STLCOP as my Second Choice...with that being said, I have been accepted to Midwestern as well as belmont and Lipscomb...for whats it worth, I like the lipscomb and belmont atmosphere better than midwester although Midwestern is more established in the health field..

Belmont requires $500 non-refundable deposit by this friday
Lipscomb requires $750 non-refudable deposit by march 4th
Midwestern requires $1000 non-refundable deposit by March 14th...

not to mention ive spent over $4000 just in the application and interview expenses...ouch!

so I am very frustrated that I wont here anything by mid to late march from SIUE and STLCOP...

hopefully we both get in and see each other this August :)

Wow that's a lot! $4,000! .. But congratulations for getting accepted to all of those so far! I guess my advice would be to pick your top two or so and pay the deposits until you decide for sure. I know it is a lot, but you've worked so hard for a reason, and you want to be sure that you made the right decision! The money you pay to take the time to make the best decision for you will be worth it in the long run. Since it sounds like you want SIUE and STLCOP the most, I guess I would pick to pay the Belmont or Lipscomb deposit and turn down Midwestern since you're not quite as interested.

Good luck! Maybe we'll be in the same class:)

P.S. I'm not sure if you know this already, but we can get $100 back from our $1,000 deposit to Midwestern. That is, if you withdraw before one month (I think?) before school starts.