HELP Bad Freshman Year what are my chances for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zai_bo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I needed to get some advice and opinions on what I should do to fix my GPA at this point

I had a terrible freshman year, I'm not going to add fluff, I just didn't study and I did not take the transition from high school to college well. I got a D in gen chem 2 and retook it the following summer and got a B.
With that retake my GPA is at a 2.62. First semester sophomore year I have A's in all my classes right now (psych, bio, and spanish) but we just got our midterm grades for orgo 1 and I did not do well.

Should I take a W for orgo and retake it next semester or try to end with a C? If I take a C in org 1 my GPA will be a 3.5. Past org 1 if I continue an upward trends do I have a chance at Medical School at all??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is the 2.6 with the D replaced or averaged? There is no way your cGPA at the end of the current semester will be 3.5. How did you arrive at that? Are you only taking 12 hours each semester or are your classes four hours? Of course you have a chance at medical school. You just have to work hard. Your D in Gen Chem should have been replaced with an A. As for your Orgo question-what is your current grade? Are you failing or getting a D? Only you can decide if you want a W. But a W would be lots better than a F or even a D. Those grades would go into your cGPA !

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Is the 2.6 with the D replaced or averaged? There is no way your cGPA at the end of the current semester will be 3.5. How did you arrive at that? Are you only taking 12 hours each semester or are your classes four hours? Of course you have a chance at medical school. You just have to work hard. Your D in Gen Chem should have been replaced with an A. As for your Orgo question-what is your current grade? Are you failing or getting a D? Only you can decide if you want a W. But a W would be lots better than a F or even a D. Those grades would go into your cGPA !

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I believe the D was averaged into the 2.6 not replaced. I meant a 3.5 as my GPA for just this semester not my cgpa. I am taking Orgo lecture which is 4 credit hours (span-4, bio-5, psych-3). Our org midterms grade came out today I have a C, it looks like I will most likely end with a C at the end of the semester as well and an A in all my other classes. With that in mind should I withdraw or take the C?