Help a psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forchinet121

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey doctors, I am a psychiatrist active on the psych forum and was asked a GI question from a patient I’m seeing and wanted your help if possible since I’m not up to date on the current guidelines.

I have a patient, 28 year old male with no PMHx aside from mild anxiety which is stable at this time without medications, however he has been on Prilosec 20 mg daily for the last 13 years..he started it at 15, he notes he had an endoscopy at that time and they said it was GERD and was started on Prilosec which got rid of all his symptoms. He has tried coming off it and switching to h2 blockers but anytime he does his GERD symptoms recur, he has no alarm symptoms or really any other symptoms at this time aside from the heartburn when he stops the Prilosec but if he takes it he has no symptoms. I told him to talk with PCP he doesn’t have a GI but he asked my advice about whether he can be on this forever and I wasn’t sure what you guys typically recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

….I am a psychiatrist…was asked a GI question from a patient and wanted your help…
….he doesn’t have a GI but he asked my advice and I wasn’t sure.

Made your question a bit more concise.

I think you did the right thing in deferring to his PCP. If they don’t know the answer, then he should be referred to GI. Should not give medical advice over a forum. Too many details/clarifying questions that could be missed.

Reactions: 1 user
Made your question a bit more concise.

I think you did the right thing in deferring to his PCP. If they don’t know the answer, then he should be referred to GI. Should not give medical advice over a forum. Too many details/clarifying questions that could be missed.
Gotcha yeah I figured! Any thoughts at all in general about lifelong PPI therapy? Is that the recommendation these days for heartburn that doesn’t resolve with other methods?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha yeah I figured! Any thoughts at all in general about lifelong PPI therapy? Is that the recommendation these days for heartburn that doesn’t resolve with other methods?
Go ask your doctor. Refer back to comment regarding medical advice on a general forum. The I have a friend trick is pretty transparent.

And if by small chance you are in fact a doctor and have to ask such inane questions, you have no business doling out advice related to them to patients who may mistake your response as one coming from a position of authority. But I suspect you are not a doctor because you would know how to stay uptodate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.