Help a brotha out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeisbutadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-recent grad from a top UC
-non-science major
-NY resident
-3.47 cGPA, 3.05 sGPA - finished with an upward trend
-taking the MCAT in a couple of months (expecting around 27-30)
-solid EC
-decided not to do a SMP/formal post-bacc right away due to financial reasons

I'm thinking about giving it a go this cycle.

Do I have a shot at any MD school in the country? I'm also applying to a couple schools in the Caribbean. Any luck there?

Thoughts appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-recent grad from a top UC
-non-science major
-NY resident
-3.47 cGPA, 3.05 sGPA - finished with an upward trend
-taking the MCAT in a couple of months (expecting around 27-30)
-solid EC
-decided not to do a SMP/formal post-bacc right away due to financial reasons

I'm thinking about giving it a go this cycle.

Do I have a shot at any MD school in the country? I'm also applying to a couple schools in the Caribbean. Any luck there?

Thoughts appreciated.
Do NOT go Caribbean. Go DO. Caribbean is not a good choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your GPA and a 28-30 it might even be a gamble with DO schools. You should do some post-bac by retaking 2-3 courses, you don't need a formal program.

Besides this, it is unlikely, given what you presented.

What are your EC's?

If I improve my MCAT (say 30+) would that give me a chance anywhere? Or is my sGPA just too low? I'm not thinking DO at the moment.

As for the caribbeans, a couple of my good friends are out there now and they seem to be fine + I did extensive research on my own. Its not the end of the world for PCPs and I'm considering it if that's what it really comes down to.

Do you guys think SMP is necessary given my GPA? Or should I just retake courses as gmcguitar mentioned above? Any advice as to what I should do to improve my chances at MD schools (as far as the numbers are concerned)?

Thanks for all the replies btw!

If I improve my MCAT (say 30+) would that give me a chance anywhere? Or is my sGPA just too low? I'm not thinking DO at the moment.

As for the caribbeans, a couple of my good friends are out there now and they seem to be fine + I did extensive research on my own. Its not the end of the world for PCPs and I'm considering it if that's what it really comes down to.

Do you guys think SMP is necessary given my GPA? Or should I just retake courses as gmcguitar mentioned above? Any advice as to what I should do to improve my chances at MD schools (as far as the numbers are concerned)?

Thanks for all the replies btw!

If you are considering primary care, you really shouldn't choose the Caribbean over DO schools. However, if you don't want to apply DO, you will probably need to dominate the MCAT and take classes to boost your science gpa (which is what will hold you back from MD schools imo). SMPs are also an option assuming a suitable MCAT score. There is a lot of great info on them around this site.

Sgpa is simply too low. You need to raise it for better DO schools, although you might squeak by at a school or too. MD is not going to happen.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk