hello everyone....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Priya deshpande

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this field of Physical Therapy.All i know is that there are 2 schools in Dallas,TX where i stay.These are TWU and Southwest UT.I want to know how are these schools and how to get into them??

My GRE score is not very good...990.My last 60 hour GPA is 3.89.
he guys,do i need to retake GRE....i am really poor in math.
How difficult are the prerequisites??how much should be my gpa and gre score for getting into these 2 school??

Thanx in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. I got about the same gre as you with a 3.6 overall and prereq and I wasn't accepted to UT Southwestern and I was put on the waitlist at TwU. I was accepted to every school I applied to that didn't factor in GRE scores though. If you don't get around 1100 or higher I think your chances of getting in to either school would be fairly low. Good luck though, just wanted to offer some insight.

You wont have a problem getting in. Thomas Jefferson, FIU, USF are a few out of many Universities that dont require a GRE score. I wish I had the GPA you have. Whats your major....it sounds like it may not be similar since you are asking about how difficult the pre-reqs are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi DPTerudition,

Thank you so much for the information.Are you sure you couldnt make it to UT southwest coz of GRE scores??Are GRE scores so important for DPT??
Well,my major was dentistry for which i gave GRE which is needed for international applicants.Becoming DPT instead of dentist was my decision...but if such high/competitive GRE scores are needed for both UTSW and TWU,will my dream of becoming DPT never come true...coz I am really afraid of retaking GRE(i am very poor in math).Another problem is that my husband and I cant leave Dallas so applying to other schools is out of question!!

Hey guys,I need your help!!

Well now that I remember it, the average gpa for people being accepted this year to UT Southwestern was 3.9. They don't actually look as much into the GRE as TWU does. What are your overall and pre-req gpas? If they are 3.89 I think you have a really good chance at Southwestern. But the applicant pool changes each year and the admissions person I spoke with said I probably would have gotten in last year. Don't give up hope

Hi DPTerudition,

Thank you so much for the information.Are you sure you couldnt make it to UT southwest coz of GRE scores??Are GRE scores so important for DPT??
Well,my major was dentistry for which i gave GRE which is needed for international applicants.Becoming DPT instead of dentist was my decision...but if such high/competitive GRE scores are needed for both UTSW and TWU,will my dream of becoming DPT never come true...coz I am really afraid of retaking GRE(i am very poor in math).Another problem is that my husband and I cant leave Dallas so applying to other schools is out of question!!

Hey guys,I need your help!!

GREs are fairly important since it is something that schools are able to compare and evaluate you on. However letters of recommendation, Overall GPA and Prequisite GPA's are other factors that are important int he process. You're GRE is a bit on the low side, so I suggest possibly studying a few months for the GRE focusing on the quantitative section since that was your weakest portion in order to increase your score. It may be a bit more difficult for you since your choices are so limited, but it's not impossible.

Last edited:
GREs are fairly important since it is something that schools are able to compare and evaluate you on. However letters of recommendation, Overall GPA and Prequisite GPA's are other factors that are important int he process. You're GPA is a bit on the low side, so I suggest possibly studying a few months for the GPA and focusing on the quantitative section since that was your weakest portion in order to increase your score. It may be a bit more difficult for you since your choices are so limited, but it's not impossible.

GPA is on the low side? When did 3.89 get on the low side? Maybe you meant GRE? That was fairly low @ 990.

Edit: Yeah I think you meant GRE from what you said about focusing on the quantitative section.

GREs are fairly important since it is something that schools are able to compare and evaluate you on. However letters of recommendation, Overall GPA and Prequisite GPA's are other factors that are important int he process. You're GPA is a bit on the low side, so I suggest possibly studying a few months for the GPA and focusing on the quantitative section since that was your weakest portion in order to increase your score. It may be a bit more difficult for you since your choices are so limited, but it's not impossible.

lol yeah.. i meant GRE :laugh:

It wouldn't hurt you to take the GRE over again. I retook mine and improved slightly, but I think it helped.

so much.You guys are really very helpful........I dont know if I will get into either UTSW or TWU but I am surely going to seriously try!!You all have boosted my confidence up....Thanx again!
Well, my overall GPA is 3.89 not prerequisite GPA.I still have to take the prerequisites.I want to ask you all how difficult prerequisites would be for a person like me becoz I did my 5yr Bachelor of Dental Surgery way back in 2005 and my 12th in 2000.(when I last studied Physics,Chemistry etc) so I am totally out touch.What sort of prerequisite GPA is acceptable for above 2 schools.

Well guys,what do you suggest me regarding retaking GRE...should I retake after I finish prerequisites...I mean is there chance of me improving upon my GRE score in any way by taking prerequisites first or should I give GRE first??

Thank you

The pre-reqs will be fine, even after time away from the subjects. You might be a little rusty with study habits, but I took 4 years off after my Bachelors and went back. I found myself much more focused and driven than the first time around and my pre-req GPA is better than my overall.

As for the GRE, I took that more than once, too. It was very worth it to do so. I wasn't prepared to take the computer adaptive test the first time so just being more familiar with the whole process the second time around helped. As for before or after pre-reqs, that's going to be up to you and what you've got going on in your life. The biggest piece of advice regarding that would be just to plan ahead so that you know you have adequate time to study and prepare for it. I thought it was a joke to study for standardized tests, but I am really happy that I had a friend to convince me to do it and help me study.