height of contour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crenellation02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anterior teeth, is the height of contour in the cervical third or incisal third? I see it in the incisal third but answrer is cervical third.

Members don't see this ad.

crenellation02 said:
For anterior teeth, is the height of contour in the cervical third or incisal third? I see it in the incisal third but answrer is cervical third.

Could it be that labiolingually it's in the cervical third but mesiodistally it's in the incisal third? :scared:

crenellation02 said:
Could it be that labiolingually it's in the cervical third but mesiodistally it's in the incisal third? :scared:

I think it depends on the view:
Labial view: in the incisal third
Mesial view: in the cervical third.

Height of contour is relative to the long axis of the tooth. In the mouth, the incisal 1/3 has the height of contour, but that's because the tooth itself is rotated. Look at an upper central standing upright, and you'll see the facial surface curves backward as you go up the crown toward the incisal edge.

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis said:
Height of contour is relative to the long axis of the tooth. In the mouth, the incisal 1/3 has the height of contour, but that's because the tooth itself is rotated. Look at an upper central standing upright, and you'll see the facial surface curves backward as you go up the crown toward the incisal edge.

i read that the height of contour is the line encircling the tooth at its greatest bulge.in that case there is a bulge in the cervical 3rd when viewed from the proximal surfaces.can't that be height of contour too? confused..can u pls explain?thnx.

Let me see if i can help.
Simply speaking.........
Height of contour--Is the point of the tooth SURFACE which has the maximum buldge.
Now since there are 4 surface for each tooth,there are 4 height of contours.

To remember the HOC for each tooth ,just remember the shape.So now,we know that for
Max CI.--Labially the max buldge is at cervical 3rd
Lingually..............................cervical 3rd
Mesialy.................................Incisal 3rd
& Distaly..................................Incisal 3rd.
I would also suggest that to learn DA,we should prefer learning the proper diag,instead of the text. :luck:

Correct me if required.

Dushyant said:
Let me see if i can help.
Simply speaking.........
Height of contour--Is the point of the tooth SURFACE which has the maximum buldge.
Now since there are 4 surface for each tooth,there are 4 height of contours.

To remember the HOC for each tooth ,just remember the shape.So now,we know that for
Max CI.--Labially the max buldge is at cervical 3rd
Lingually..............................cervical 3rd
Mesialy.................................Incisal 3rd
& Distaly..................................Incisal 3rd.
I would also suggest that to learn DA,we should prefer learning the proper diag,instead of the text. :luck:

Correct me if required.

That's exactly what I said.
Labial view = Mesiodistal cross section >> incisal 3rd :)
etc etc etc

By lingually, do you mean lingual view or lingual surface?