Heart Murmurs: Left Sternal Border

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3characterslong

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going through Uworld and came upon a question where you heard a murmur at the left sternal border. I was caught between Tricuspid Regurg and Aortic Regurg. There was a media file where you could distinguish between systolic/diastrolic, but i suck at heart sounds so i screwed it up. The explanation for the answer was that I should've been able to differentiate between Sys/Diastolic on ascultation.

I was looking back at First Aid and saw this diagram. It puts Tricuspid Regurg under tricuspid region, and Aortic regurg under "Left Sternal Border". So, that led me to the question: Is the term "Left Sternal Border" specific enough for me to rule out Tricuspid Regurg, VSD, and Pulmonic Stenosis?

First Aid seems to be specifically labeling murmurs heard at the 3rd Intercostal Space (Erb's Point?) as "Left Sternal Border" murmurs. On the other hand, it seems like the Tricuspid and Pulmonic regions are also on the left sternal border (logically/geographically), and i was looking it up and some sites seem to describe those tricupid regions/murmurs using the term "left sternal border", so i wasn't sure how specific the term was in Step 1/uWorld lingo.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• heart mumurs.png
    heart mumurs.png
    312 KB · Views: 44
Last edited: