hear about prelim interviews??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyeyes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to start a thread where people can post when they hear about interviews for prelim MDCN or transitional yr. I applied to 12 transitional programs in the nyc area, have yet to hear. A friend of mine has already been invited to interview at Maimonides.

Members don't see this ad.

I have just gotten the token "thank you for applying we will be letting you know letter" for two of the programs I applied to.

By the way, does anyone know if we need to have the internal medicine clerkship coordinator or chair of medicine write a letter of rec to apply to prelim med and transitional year programs? I thought that was only for categorical IM programs, so I only sent an IM letter from the attending I had for those rotations.

Just wondering...

Q

I had the same question myself. One of our academic deans didn't seem to think I'd need one. However, just to double check, I looked at the "application" web pages for the prelim programs I applied to. At least 4 out of the 15 I applied to request Department Chair letters. So I need to scramble...I figure if I get the letter, I'll just send it to all the internal med prelim programs, instead of my Department letter for radiology.

Hope this helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got a letter from a prelim medicine program that said that they required one of the LoRs to come from the medicine chair or internal medicine clerkship coordinator. you can ask your student affairs office who that would be. at my school, we're given a list of people who write these letters specifically. they're not going to be the most intimate, personable letters, but if the programs want them...

yeah, I got one so far....from my own home school. So maybe that doesn't really count. How do most people coordinate their prelim interviews with their pgy2 specialty interviews? What if a prelim program offers me an interview before I hear from the specialty program at the same geographical location?

Per one of our academic deans and several of the programs I've applied to, you can call the department for your PGY2 year. Let them know you'll be interviewing for your intern year there on what date, and if they are interested in interviewing you, would it be possible to schedule an interview at that time.

Hope this helps...

I thought it works the other way around....well I guess it doesn't hurt to ask....except for the traumatizing memory I have had during the med school application when I asked school A about the prospect of getting interview there while I was interviewing at school B at the same city....the answer was always invariably "no".

i was told by one program that prelim interviews are in november, while categorical interviews are in dec and january.

got my 1st transitional interview 2day to einstein in philly.

got a transitional interview to Flushing hosp. in Queens.

Got a prelim. medicine invite from William Beamont Hospital in Michigan earlier this week.:p

I'm goin 4 ophtho, & goin 4 transitional in nyc/philly.. so far i got interviews in transitional to flushing, einstein(philly), prebyterian(upenn).

Prelim medicine
Chicago
St. Joseph
St. Francis
Rush
UIC
Evanston Northwestern
California
UCSF/Fresno
UCI

Transitional
Chicago
St. Joseph
Evanston Northwestern

Members don't see this ad :)
Skrubz,

Are you an american grad or an IMG?

drlee - i'm an AMG (or rather will be come may 2004). i think i've got pretty strong numbers which are probably contributing to the invites that i've received. i've also got 3 out of 4 LORs in - 2 from anesthesia, 1 from medicine faculty - and waiting on my dept of medicine letter.

got cabrini prelim mdcn 2day (manhattan)

Kaiser/SF prelim med on 10/14 via email.

Called them back later that night (I was on call) and left a message as instructed. However, I got a phone call from them today saying that all 75 prelim interviews spots were already full and I was being wait-listed. Either the program is that popular or they had already sent out an earlier batch of offers.

I got the same story with Kaiser SF! This is absolutely ridiculous. If this is how they determine their residents, I do not want to be a part of it. I have sent in a letter stating my withdrawal from consideration to their program. Good luck all!

got the kaiser sf prelim invitation 10/14 too, but i guess i got in on time (got my first choice interview time). got alameda county prelim medicine interview invite 10/6 and santa clara county prelim medicine interview invite 10/16.

got interview to maimonides transitional today.

swedish covenant in chicago (trans) 10/23 via email
fyi, their interviews are booked all the way through december.

has anyone heard from northwestern for prelim medicine? my roommate just got the nod for categorical yesterday.

NU (northwestern) prelim 10/27 via email

edit 10/28
Kern (trans) 10/28 via email
MacNeal (trans) 10/28 via email

NY Hosp of queens (cornell) via phone

Kaiser Sunset, by email, 10/28

Prelim:
Santa Clara, CA
UCSF, CA
Montefiore, NY

Transitional:
Virginia Mason, WA

How do we do our rank lists if we are applying to our main specialty as well as prelim and transitional years? Can anyone point me in the right direction or explain this? Thanks!

anyone heard from nj transitional year programs??

i've heard from ny & philly, but not NJ..

St. Francis, IL (trans) 10/30 via email

Wait-listed by Alameda/Highland, CA (prelim med) 10/30 via email

gimmedog, i'm under the impression that for every advanced program you rank, you have an attached rank list for prelim/trans programs, which may or may not be the same for each advanced program. i could be wrong though...

edit 11/1
St. Mary's in SF (prelim) 10/31 via email

skrubs is right. You can submit an entirely unique rank order list of prelims/ty's for each advanced program you apply to. (Gives you a better shot at geographic consistency and possibly avoid having to do the "double-move" thing)

by the way gimmedog, nice avatar :cool:

just to keep the thread alive...

California Pacific (prelim) in SF 11/3 via email

anyone hear from kaiser/santa clara (prelim), stanford (prelim), or san joaquin (trans) yet?

uc irvine prelim 11/3 by email

Thanks Skrubs and Jeeva (what's up good looking?)

Also heard from CPMC in SF today by email.
No word from Stanford. Didn't apply to Kaiser SC or San Joaquin

atlantic health (NJ) via email 2day

wonder of wonders. this totally made my day.

all today (11/4) and all via email:
- stanford prelim
- kaiser/SC prelim
- kaiser/oakland prelim

edit 11/5
got the REJECTED stamp from UCSF prelim today. *shrug* :p

Santa Clara Transitional --if you also applied to prelim, one interview day will count for both.

Just to let you know, the prelim interviews are essentially pretty unimportant, especially if U are intending only on a prelim or transitional. They end up interviewing over a few hundred people for their few spots.
I interviewed in NYC, at the most "cush" places, including Cabrini, NYHQ, etc...a little heads up about the sincerity during the interviews--they only have U for one year. U know this and they know this. Try to look past the administration (U'll rarely talk to them as an intern) and talk to the current interns. NYHQueens is pretty sleazy and sends out a letter from the Board of Trustees to their top applicants...it's truly generic. Cabrini is a little overhyped, too. ..after being on the interview trail. Granted they have a nice cafeteria--that's if you have the time to eat lunch, good location,, but like most NYC programs, you can count on the scut and count on pretty outdated computer systems. If you really hate internal medicine, this extra scut just makes it that much harder to wake up each morning to round on the Gomers.

gimmedog -- if you got the invite for santa clara valley prelim, does it count for transitional too?

st mary's long beach today (11/7) by email

Desalmada:
I had to get invites from both separately, but the transitional invite said that if I had also applied to prelim, that interview will count for both.

white memorial (prelim medicine) 11/10 by email
alameda county/highland (transitional) 11/10 by email

Rejected by Mayo Scottsdale..jimmy cracked corn.. :laugh: :p

santa clara valley (prelim) 11/7 via email
santa barbara cottage (prelim) 11/10 via email
highland/alameda (trans) 11/10 via email

UW today--they interview M and F only

I called SF Kaiser--they did just take the 1st 75 people--I didn't believe it when I read that post--but it's true. :mad:

Has anyone heard from Scripps Tansitional year in San Diego, Mayo Jacksonville Transitional or Roanoke Carilion Preliminary Medicine years?

Good luck to all.

I still have yet to hear from about 9 programs in NYC. Shuold I just assume at this point that I'm rejected? Anyone hear anything?

i have heard from transitional: NYH queens, flushing, maimonides
prelim mdcn: cabrini

others have heard from st vincents for transitional & prelim mdcn. not sure what 9 u applied 2.

kaiser santa clara (prelim med) 11/17 by email. they sent out all of the email addresses of the people offered interviews in this round. a little sloppy, don't you think?

$8 down the crapper--those bastards at Trans yr NY Hosp Queens never even downloaded my MSPE.

I was hoping they were a late bloomer, but they invited nyeyes.
Now it's personal. ;)

I applied to every prelim med program in manhattan. All I've heard from is St. Luke's-Roosevelt and NYU Downtown. Anyone hear from other prelim meds in NYC?

I've heard from Lenox Hill, St. Vincent's, beth israel -- all in manhattan.