Healthtexas Provider Network, does it qualify for Federal PSLF Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdawg2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does employment with HealthTexas Provider Network (i.e. Baylor) or Texas Health Provider Group (i.e. THR) in Texas qualify for the Federal Student Loan Forgiveness Program? Does anyone know or how I can find out?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. Is HealthTexas nonprofit? And are they the ones signing your paycheck?

Many physicians at non-profit academic medical centers are actually employed by for-profit physicians foundations, which would mean they don't qualify for PSLF.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I sort of addressed your question already. If you want to know for sure, call those companies and ask to speak with HR. Tell them you're thinking about applying there for a job and ask them if they're a non-profit and if they are the ones that sign the paychecks for physicians or if someone else does.

Usually organizations that are non-profit are pretty explicit about it in the "about us" portion of their website.

Unless you're lucky enough to run into an attending here who works for those groups and has submitted documentation for PSLF tracking (and thus knows with certainty), no one can tell you for sure--so calling HR is your best bet. As I said above, many non-profit hospitals use for-profit physicians groups to employ their physicians, in which case those attendings would not be eligible for PSLF.

Reactions: 1 user
Both HealthTexas Provider Network (i.e. Baylor) and Texas Health Provider Group (i.e. THR) appear on that website (guidestar.org). However, I e-mailed both HTPN and THR last week and was told that HTPN does NOT qualify but THPG does qualify. I have no idea how one is to know unless you actually ask the Human Resources Department to verify.

Both HealthTexas Provider Network (i.e. Baylor) and Texas Health Provider Group (i.e. THR) appear on that website (guidestar.org). However, I e-mailed both HTPN and THR last week and was told that HTPN does NOT qualify but THPG does qualify. I have no idea how one is to know unless you actually ask the Human Resources Department to verify.
If they file a form 990, they should be a nonprofit, and therefore eligible. However, it really comes down to who signs your checks. Perhaps another organization pays.

Depending on who you talk to, they may have no idea what PSLF actually is (probably the only ones who'd have any idea what the program is would be whoever has signed the eligibility/PSLF tracking paperwork you can send in. But those people in HR should know whether or not the entity signing your paycheck is a non-profit. If it is, then it counts.

If you just e-mailed them to ask whether employment with them is eligible for "public service loan forgiveness," they may misinterpret that to mean "do you do loan repayment, which many places do not do." They may not realize you're talking about a federal program.