Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armyhealth

Army Healthcare Recruiter
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is one of those hidden programs, so I wanted to answer any questions for anyone who has interest in this.

Here is the official post from our 2017 program guide-

Provides 2 and 3 year scholarships to students enrolled in or accepted to accredited optometry programs. Applicants must be a US Citizen. HPSP provides full tuition, monthly stipend of $2,229.30 for 10 and one half months and reimbursement of certain academic fees. Provides Second Lieutenant pay for 45 days during ADT. Appointed and commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the MS Corps while participating in the HPSP program. ADO is year-for-year for each year receiving the scholarship with a minimum obligation of 3 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am definitely interested in the HPSP for optometry. I just got accepted by AZCOPT and expect to be accepted at Houston in a few weeks. I was told by a recruiter that I can only apply once I am enrolled in optometry school since the max scholarship is for 3 years. Is that true? Otherwise, I would love to apply before the next 2017-18 academic year (if the deadline is not already up; I know the Navy's program is already closed for next year). Also, how many scholarships are available and how many applicants are there usually?

I am definitely interested in the HPSP for optometry. I just got accepted by AZCOPT and expect to be accepted at Houston in a few weeks. I was told by a recruiter that I can only apply once I am enrolled in optometry school since the max scholarship is for 3 years. Is that true? Otherwise, I would love to apply before the next 2017-18 academic year (if the deadline is not already up; I know the Navy's program is already closed for next year). Also, how many scholarships are available and how many applicants are there usually?

Yes it is a three year scholarship so you do have to apply after you start your first year....however if you know you are going to apply you can get some of the stuff done before you start your busy course work. For instance the physical is good for two years so I usually have them knock that out before they start school, you can get your letters of recommendation together and get official transcripts sent to the recruiter. Even fill out the application ahead of time that way really the only thing you need to do is get a dean's letter from your Optometry program and update a few things in the application.

This year there were four slots and 11 applicants. The numbers usually don't change much year to year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it is a three year scholarship so you do have to apply after you start your first year....however if you know you are going to apply you can get some of the stuff done before you start your busy course work. For instance the physical is good for two years so I usually have them knock that out before they start school, you can get your letters of recommendation together and get official transcripts sent to the recruiter. Even fill out the application ahead of time that way really the only thing you need to do is get a dean's letter from your Optometry program and update a few things in the application.

This year there were four slots and 11 applicants. The numbers usually don't change much year to year.
Thanks for the response. Is there a specific recruiter that I need to talk to to get that started and what is the best way to contact them? Are the criteria for evaluation pretty much the same as what the schools use? Such as GPA, OAT scores, letters of recommendation, etc...

I've been slightly interested in the Navy HPSP mainly because my father was a Navy Corpsmen. I've had two back surgeries, one with a fusion from c4-c7 and I have heard that this is a disqualification. Is that a true statement or could it be waived due to the type of work optometrists do?

I've been slightly interested in the Navy HPSP mainly because my father was a Navy Corpsmen. I've had two back surgeries, one with a fusion from c4-c7 and I have heard that this is a disqualification. Is that a true statement or could it be waived due to the type of work optometrists do?

Unfortunately even though the work you do will be different for an optometrist you still have to meet the same physical guidelines as everyone else. It is possible you could get a waiver but very very unlikely with a Cspine fusion.

Thanks for the response. Is there a specific recruiter that I need to talk to to get that started and what is the best way to contact them? Are the criteria for evaluation pretty much the same as what the schools use? Such as GPA, OAT scores, letters of recommendation, etc...

Send me a PM, we can talk and get your basic info in the system and I can refer you to a healthcare recruiter in your area.

Last edited:
I'm former airforce, 6 year enlistment and then went into the army, but was discharged due to a pt failure (not out of shape, i just had an off-duty skydiving accident that i was having a hard time recovering from)

that basically forced me out, but it was partially my fault for attempting the run before i was ready. should not have let my ego make career decisions.

anywho, I've spoken to the Navy about HPSP, and definitely plan on putting my application in. What would i have to do to also put an application in through the Army?

I dont have a branch preference and would like to increase my chances through the Army as well.

I believe i sent you a private message.

What factors determine competitiveness for applicants? Are certain aspects weighted more than others? I'm looking to apply in about two years since I won't enter optometry school until 2018.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

you apply to the program the DAY (or very shortly after) you get your first acceptance letter to any school (you can change schools later, but it gets you in the system)

competitiveness depends on your peers. you have to go up against a board interview. anything in your background that you can use helps. I'll be using things like my military service and familiarity with the military, eagle scout, private pilot, volunteer work with the red cross, voluntarily deployed to Iraq, the fact i finished my bachelors degree during the week, took weekend classes on the weekend for my pre-reqs (210 miles from home), worked full time during the week (essentially worked/went to school 7 days a week for 8 months straight) all whilst being a father of 2, husband, and homeowner with (currently) a 4.0 science gpa, 3.3 gpa overall. etc.

What factors determine competitiveness for applicants? Are certain aspects weighted more than others? I'm looking to apply in about two years since I won't enter optometry school until 2018.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

The4ork answered most of that. Since the military will be paying for your schooling the most important part is getting through the school so GPA/OAT/school you were accepted into are the most important. Your letters of recommendation, potential for leadership ability and not having any issues physically or ht/wt also play a factor.

Thanks for this informative thread

Hello everyone. I'm currently a pharmacy technician at a veterans' hospital. I've already received an acceptance to a pharmacy school, but I can't find much info online about whether or not pharmacy is an eligible profession. Does anyone know?

Hello everyone. I'm currently a pharmacy technician at a veterans' hospital. I've already received an acceptance to a pharmacy school, but I can't find much info online about whether or not pharmacy is an eligible profession. Does anyone know?

We do not have a pharmacy program for HPSP. They have a ROTC option that will pay you tuition/stipend for six years but you have to start it in your undergrad. If not you can come in after school and get 120K student loan repayment and a bonus.

Thank you! Is there someone that I can reach out to for more information? I haven't started pharmacy school yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know this is very early for the next cycle, but I was wondering if this is too early to begin the application process. I'm about to graduate, and will be applying for optometry school this summer to hopefully begin in 2020. Would I apply this year for the program, or would I have to wait to apply my first year as an optometry student? Thank you so much for any help in advance, this is all new territory for me!

I know this is very early for the next cycle, but I was wondering if this is too early to begin the application process. I'm about to graduate, and will be applying for optometry school this summer to hopefully begin in 2020. Would I apply this year for the program, or would I have to wait to apply my first year as an optometry student? Thank you so much for any help in advance, this is all new territory for me!
You can get started, just about everything you do is good for at least one year and we are in that window. Send me a PM and I can give you all my contact info to get you started.

I feel like this is one of those hidden programs, so I wanted to answer any questions for anyone who has interest in this.

Here is the official post from our 2017 program guide-

Provides 2 and 3 year scholarships to students enrolled in or accepted to accredited optometry programs. Applicants must be a US Citizen. HPSP provides full tuition, monthly stipend of $2,229.30 for 10 and one half months and reimbursement of certain academic fees. Provides Second Lieutenant pay for 45 days during ADT. Appointed and commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the MS Corps while participating in the HPSP program. ADO is year-for-year for each year receiving the scholarship with a minimum obligation of 3 years.

Hello,
For the 2019 program guide, does the US Army provide 4 year scholarships to students enrolled in or accepted to accredited optometry programs?
Thank you so much.

Hello,
For the 2019 program guide, does the US Army provide 4 year scholarships to students enrolled in or accepted to accredited optometry programs?
Thank you so much.

We don't have 4 year scholarships. Only 1, 2 or 3 year scholarships.