Healing a foot neuroma with holistic methods ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean6850

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for a way to solve a foot neuroma problem. I know the traditional ways are for sclerosing shots and surgery by a neurosurgeon or podiatrist.

Are there any other holistic remedies for a patient that does not want surgery and shots haven't worked. Would acupuncture just alleviate the problem temporarily or would it be almost as permanent as surgery?

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

sean6850 said:
Looking for a way to solve a foot neuroma problem. I know the traditional ways are for sclerosing shots and surgery by a neurosurgeon or podiatrist.

Are there any other holistic remedies for a patient that does not want surgery and shots haven't worked. Would acupuncture just alleviate the problem temporarily or would it be almost as permanent as surgery?

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Hi, I had a foot neuroma in the metatarsal area that caused shooting pain to my 3rd and 4th toes for months. Cause: Improper fitting running shoes at 40 miles/week + girly dress shoes for an "on your feet" corporate sales rep job during the day. It hurt more and more and I kept going through the pain.
When I finally decided to do something about it:
I got New Balance shoes 1 or 1.5 sizes larger with a wide toebox, orthotics from a podiatrist (molded from the shape of my own feet) and two rounds of steroid shots in that foot, right at the neuroma. (NO sclerosis or surgery!!) Also, a COX II NSAID daily for 4 weeks, practical wide toe box dress shoes for work. Best work shoes that still looked good with female pantssuits: Birkenstock dress shoes. They have an arch and metatarsal support (which kept my metatarsals spread and therefore off that swollen neuroma.
Also, instead of running daily I alternated with lap swimming, which I hated at first but eventually grew to enjoy. Plus it made me more fit in the upper body.

Slowly, over 6 months it got better. That was 3 years ago. Im in my third year, on my feet alot on the wards, and Im OK in danskos or birks.
I skiid all day most days this week and only today did the nerve tingle a bit after doing jumps. I still run. As long as I am considerate of my foot it doesnt blow up at me anymore. :D

FYI.

ps. I realize thats not a holistic approach, but at least its not surgery. Who'd want a numb foot? Its like being diabetic or something. Id put up with lots of pain before having nerves cut. :thumbdown: