Headlamp recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthylMethylMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My main shop doesn't have a communal headlamp, so I'm in the market to get one of my own. Ideally I'd like to get one with an adjustable angle on the light, but whatever works as long as it's good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Members don't see this ad.

My main shop doesn't have a communal headlamp, so I'm in the market to get one of my own. Ideally I'd like to get one with an adjustable angle on the light, but whatever works as long as it's good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
I got one at Cabelas

Amazon product

I bought this last year. One of the surgeons I work with also got one after he saw mine and likes it. Reasonably cheap, comes as a 2 pack, is rechargable quickly, has an angled light and is comfortable to wear. I use it both for lac repairs and the other one at home when woodworking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use a Black Diamond Storm, the highest powered one. I love it. Something like $50 and is pretty bulletproof. I don't use it very often, but sometimes it's nice to have such as bad lighting situations (no light in room) or working inside the mouth with both hands for a PTA drainage or dental block or something.

Reactions: 1 user
I use a Black Diamond Storm, the highest powered one. I love it. Something like $50 and is pretty bulletproof. I don't use it very often, but sometimes it's nice to have such as bad lighting situations (no light in room) or working inside the mouth with both hands for a PTA drainage or dental block or something.
This thing? Storm 500-R Headlamp | Black Diamond Equipment

It has a bigger battery than the one I linked, and appears to be waterproof as well. It also appears to cost 7.5x as much and be less than 1/2 as bright.

To be clear, @EthylMethylMan can buy absolutely any headlamp they like. I was just shocked by the price point and associated specs when I looked this black diamond thing up.

This thing? Storm 500-R Headlamp | Black Diamond Equipment

It has a bigger battery than the one I linked, and appears to be waterproof as well. It also appears to cost 7.5x as much and be less than 1/2 as bright.

To be clear, @EthylMethylMan can buy absolutely any headlamp they like. I was just shocked by the price point and associated specs when I looked this black diamond thing up.
Yeah. I think I've bought all my headlamps at REI in their Garage Sale section, or they're frequently on sale. I use them for backpacking and running at night too so I want to make sure they don't bust and I have yet to have any BD products crump on me. YMMV. The best headlights would be the one the hospital gives you for free! Also, write it off on your taxes and save 30%. :)

Light and motion makes really good headlamps. I have used one at work for years. But they are expensive.