Headache/Migraine Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinchandBurn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm an interventional Pain Physician. I get referrals for various pain procedures from neurologists for blocks,etc primarily for Headache/Migraine mgt.

Question I have is, why do you guys get MRV, MRA of the brain? Obviously I know why you get a MRA (to r/o tumors,etc). With a MRV are you guy trying to r/o a thrombosis of some sort? Why the MRA then as well?

Just curious,Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, you are correct.

As headaches can potentially be dangerous, and can potentially have a fairly unremarkable exam, neurologists love radiological studies for their workup.

At any rate, the MRV is to rule out a venous/sinus thrombosis, the MRA is to check for aneurysm, AVM, AVF, tumor etc, and the MRI is for non-vascular, and more generalized pathology. Thus, the arterial imaging alone wouldn't always help if seeking out a disorder in the venous system. However, sometimes these patients have already had a CTH/CTA prior to an MR study, in which case one might be better served by simply ordering an MRI/V and leaving the MRA out of the equation.

Yep, you are correct.

As headaches can potentially be dangerous, and can potentially have a fairly unremarkable exam, neurologists love radiological studies for their workup.

At any rate, the MRV is to rule out a venous/sinus thrombosis, the MRA is to check for aneurysm, AVM, AVF, tumor etc, and the MRI is for non-vascular, and more generalized pathology. Thus, the arterial imaging alone wouldn't always help if seeking out a disorder in the venous system. However, sometimes these patients have already had a CTH/CTA prior to an MR study, in which case one might be better served by simply ordering an MRI/V and leaving the MRA out of the equation.

can one order the MRI/V in one setting w/o increasing cost? And/or can you just add the MRA into the mix as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
The acquisition is different for MRA/MRV, but if you do time-of-flight imaging, you can do both an MRA and an MRV at the same appointment because you don't use contrast.

If you want a gadolinium MRA, then you aren't going to be able to get a GAD-MRV at the same time, because you would need to double dose the contrast (just like with CTA/CTV, although I feel like half the CTAs I get are so bolus-mistimed that I end up with a pretty decent CTV).

MRV of the head is most commonly ordered when we suspect venous sinus thrombosis. As it pertains to your specialty - this is seen in ~1/3-1/2 of patients with pseudotumor cerebri. Whenever we see a young woman of significant girth with headaches and suspect pseudotumor, we will order an MRV due to this high association and potential need for anticoagulation.

can one order the MRI/V in one setting w/o increasing cost? And/or can you just add the MRA into the mix as well?

Sorry for the delay in answering but I believe TN answered you question.

Anecdotally, in residency I used the TOF option for MRA/V, but the quality of the MRA was usually lacking when this happened.