Hawaii TY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Warthog1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an interview at Hawaii's Transitional Year Program, but am kind of intimidated by the immense cost I'll incur by flying out there to interview (then possibly not even matching), and then the costly logistics of moving there for 12 months. Does anyone have any insight as to how people afford/arrange to move there and back during residency? Especially the moving back part.....if you finish in Honolulu on June 30, how do you make it back to live in Boston/NYC/SF by July 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people use a moving service to accommodate moves to and from Hawaii. Basically, you got to a company and pile all your stuff into a container, then it gets shipped to Hawaii.

Not that expensive from the west coast, much more so from the east coast. I made the move from west coast and I think it ran about $900 for a single guy. The trip takes about 4-6 weeks for the cheap service, so you need to live out of your luggage for a while. Same is true going back home.

Shipping a car runs about $1,200 from the west coast. I'd avoid it unless it's a car you can't part with. Most folks in Honolulu get by on "island cars" which are basically just cheap beat-up old used ones that you pick up for a couple of grand, drive into the dirt and sell for a grand when you leave. Not fancy, but rarely stolen and a lot cheaper than dropping $2,400 to move a nice car from the mainland.

Hawaii's nice, but you have to REALLY want to live there to do it for only one year at a time in your life where free time will probably be pretty limited.

Hawaii TY residents have to schedule the last week as vacation to allow the move to the mainland.
With the up and coming work hour restrictions (16 hours total on service) overnight call goes away. This should be more than enough time to enjoy Hawaii.
If you are going to Hawaii just to have fun, just know that TY is year is hard, lots of inpatient months etc. Not a walk in the park.

I work with a guy that did his transitional year here. At one of the hospitals, the call room was cursed/had a ghost in it. He didn't have any issues, but none of the other interns - bar none - would sleep there. The room eventually got exorcised by the spouse of one of the interns (he was some sort of minister).

I work with a guy that did his transitional year here. At one of the hospitals, the call room was cursed/had a ghost in it. He didn't have any issues, but none of the other interns - bar none - would sleep there. The room eventually got exorcised by the spouse of one of the interns (he was some sort of minister).

You have no idea how sad it makes me to hear this. We're SCIENTISTS!!! Ghosts and exorcisms? Really?? Many props to your pal who had some sense in his head and took advantage of an otherwise empty and neglected call room.

Yeah, but have you seen how superstitious residents can be? For example, never say the "Q" word when you're having a good night on call...

I, for one, say it whenever I want, then point out to those around us when it has no effect on the night or the pathology that walks in the door. Meh

Just out of curiosity, isn't Honolulu small enough that bike riding everywhere is an option? You definitely don't have winters to worry about.

Just out of curiosity, isn't Honolulu small enough that bike riding everywhere is an option? You definitely don't have winters to worry about.
Honolulu's bigger than Pittsburgh. There are a lot of palm trees and good weather, but it's still very urban. And it's a less bike-friendly town than most.

At least once a week, an elderly Chinese person gets tapped by a car, because they just walk out into traffic - this ranges from no injury to crushed nearly or to death. That is no exaggeration; not Japanese or Korean, and they walk out into traffic without looking, not at crosswalks. It's like "whack a mole" or "Frogger".

The city is pretty big; where the hospitals are, there isn't a lot of residential housing that is affordable. TheBus, the transit system, is comprehensive (only mass transit agency in the US to have been rated #1 more than once - twice here).

As for the ghosts, reputedly, in my main hospital where I work (when you see a hospital on "Hawai'i 5-0", it's mine), there's a ghost between beds 9 and 10. I only work nights, and, bar none, every night I work, I go in there, and wait...and...nothing happens. No breeze, no terror, no chill, no sensation of something/someone. A whole bunch o' nothin'.

As for the ghosts, reputedly, in my main hospital where I work (when you see a hospital on "Hawai'i 5-0", it's mine), there's a ghost between beds 9 and 10. I only work nights, and, bar none, every night I work, I go in there, and wait...and...nothing happens. No breeze, no terror, no chill, no sensation of something/someone. A whole bunch o' nothin'.
Maybe the ghost just isn't that in to you...