Having trouble contacting Air Force HPSP recruiter...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwdentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be applying to dental school in June, 2018. I have been attempting to reach out to AF HPSP recruiters at both the Bellevue, NE and Naperville, IL recruiting stations. After leaving messages many times over several months, I have still yet to be contacted by a recruiter for the dental HPSP. I have also tried email, to no avail. I cannot easily travel to either station because they are both 6 hours away. At this point I am quite frustrated because I am certain that I want to apply for the 4 year HPSP, but I cannot establish any kind of contact with a recruiter. There are also many questions I'd like to ask. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should do? I am confident that I have the stats to be a very competitive applicant, but I really need to find a recruiter willing to help me out. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

What you're describing is not an uncommon problem. I feel like everyone who's gone through this process has, at some point, had difficulty getting a hold of their recruiter. It took me about a month to get in touch with the HPSP recruiter. You may be doing this, but contact any Air Force recruiter's office, not just HPSP, and then they will push the application process to the right HPSP recruiter. If they have a closer office, then go directly to that office and see if being in person would make a difference.

What you're describing is not an uncommon problem. I feel like everyone who's gone through this process has, at some point, had difficulty getting a hold of their recruiter. It took me about a month to get in touch with the HPSP recruiter. You may be doing this, but contact any Air Force recruiter's office, not just HPSP, and then they will push the application process to the right HPSP recruiter. If they have a closer office, then go directly to that office and see if being in person would make a difference.

Thanks for the advice, luckily someone contacted me in the past week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Success! Good luck with the application. It's a lot more than GPA and DAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
Success! Good luck with the application. It's a lot more than GPA and DAT score.

Hey there! I'm in the same boat as wwdentist! I stumbled across this post as I saw you were a PS reader but I had hoped to get your input on my issues trying to start the application process for the HPSP. I've been getting email correspondence sparingly. They sent me prequalification questions and I assume if I didn't qualify they would have nipped it in the bud right there. But since then, they have been saying they would like to speak with me but are making it impossible. Whenever we attempt to speak by phone, we play phone tag. It's been going on for at least 2 weeks with the phone tag. Now they're telling me that it would be best for me to drive 4+ hours to come discuss the opportunity with them... They said they have called me but I have no missed calls and no voicemails. I have called at least 4 times over the past 2 or so weeks and left voicemails. I'm beyond frustrated! I know this is important to get started on early and I've been trying for nearly a month. I work for the government currently so I understand that speed and efficiency aren't always their strong areas, but this has become painful haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! I'm in the same boat as wwdentist! I stumbled across this post as I saw you were a PS reader but I had hoped to get your input on my issues trying to start the application process for the HPSP. I've been getting email correspondence sparingly. They sent me prequalification questions and I assume if I didn't qualify they would have nipped it in the bud right there. But since then, they have been saying they would like to speak with me but are making it impossible. Whenever we attempt to speak by phone, we play phone tag. It's been going on for at least 2 weeks with the phone tag. Now they're telling me that it would be best for me to drive 4+ hours to come discuss the opportunity with them... They said they have called me but I have no missed calls and no voicemails. I have called at least 4 times over the past 2 or so weeks and left voicemails. I'm beyond frustrated! I know this is important to get started on early and I've been trying for nearly a month. I work for the government currently so I understand that speed and efficiency aren't always their strong areas, but this has become painful haha.

I ran into this same problem when I was applying for the HPSP. There are a lot of recruiting offices for general recruiting but not all recruiters are able to process candidates for the AMEDD program. There are specific AMEDD recruiters who handle this and they are only at select sites (which I’m sure you’ve found out by now).

I would see if you can’t get an e-mail address from them and try to get as much information as you can that way. I would also try to set up a phone meeting if there is a lot of trouble missing one another. You could also see if they could come to meet you (or try to meet halfway). I had a recruiter drive a few hours to meet me, it wasn’t too much of an inconvenience for him. 4 hours seems like an awful long distance for you to have to drive.

Good luck!