HAving problems on MCAT passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm writing because as I'm doing practice passages out of TPR big science workbook, I find that I'm not doing too well. My science knowledge is pretty good--and I do well on the stand alones and the stand alones that are in the passage based questions, but when it comes time to using the passage to answer the passage based questions, I usually manage to screw something up. I feel like maybe I have bad "critical thinking" skills. Does anyone have any advice? Verbal is not a problem for me. But the science passages are.

I am wondering if I'll ever be ready to take this test. :(

-T

Members don't see this ad.

Tofurkey said:
Hello all,

I'm writing because as I'm doing practice passages out of TPR big science workbook, I find that I'm not doing too well. My science knowledge is pretty good--and I do well on the stand alones and the stand alones that are in the passage based questions, but when it comes time to using the passage to answer the passage based questions, I usually manage to screw something up. I feel like maybe I have bad "critical thinking" skills. Does anyone have any advice? Verbal is not a problem for me. But the science passages are.

I am wondering if I'll ever be ready to take this test. :(

-T

You'll be ready. We all feel that way at some point.

You say verbal is not a problem. Verbal is all comprehension and *critical thinking*. You can't answer verbal without critical thinking, so it's probably just differences that are throwing you.

My thoughts on using passages to pull out the needed information is it's like a treasure hunt. You've got a bunch of "fluff" and you've got to dig through and find the good stuff. I read through it quickly and usually found the data. Where is it most likely to be? Where you're least likely to look. Captions, titles, print that seems off on its own and irrelevant. Go hunting for the info, because if it seems like it has to be somewhere in the passage, you've already narrowed it down to one page of stuff.