Having baby during ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luayluayluaylu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've read thru posts about ortho residency hours, but most devolved into arguments about laziness and lack of dedication. can someone give an updated answer to the ortho hours during residency question? does it get less intense as you progress through residency? not afraid to work hard, but as a woman who wants kids, i want to know the answer to this question to make a more informed choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your mileage may vary, but from my experience, the hours don't get less intense as you progress through residency. Instead, your definition of busy just changes from scut/floor work -> operate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i've read thru posts about ortho residency hours, but most devolved into arguments about laziness and lack of dedication. can someone give an updated answer to the ortho hours during residency question? does it get less intense as you progress through residency? not afraid to work hard, but as a woman who wants kids, i want to know the answer to this question to make a more informed choice.

I'm sorry to say, but you can't have it all, at least not in residency.

Very much program dependent, I would argue against intern year, usually this is the least control of time, working most weekends, and lowest rung on the totem pole, so hard to ask for time off. Also, you generally run the floor solo, so if you need a long period of time off, there isn't necessarily anyone to fill in.

Having a baby may be reasonable during a research year if you're applying to a research program. You'll need a dedicated spouse or be able to afford a nanny for sure.