Having an OD makes you a Dr.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighlyFanatic

sup?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i dont wanna start any flames, when people ask me i say optometrists are primary care eye doctors. right?

i was just reading the pharmacy forum: and there is some debate http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86211 and it seems like theres debate about PharmD's, and about addressing people as Doctor or by their first name.

I couldnt imagine calling my optometrist by his first name :eek: especially in a professional setting, ive always respected the fact that he earned his title

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Optometrists are primary care eye doctors :)

and yes, you should call them Dr. The only time I was allowed to call the docs I worked for by their first names was when there were no patients around to hear me.

Members don't see this ad :)
if they are doctors than pharmacists are doctors too

lol, A primary eye doctor? what's next a primary toe doctor for podiatrists? maybe a primary dentist?

Originally posted by speter33
if they are doctors than pharmacists are doctors too

lol, A primary eye doctor? what's next a primary toe doctor for podiatrists? maybe a primary dentist?
Pharmacists ARE doctors, and so are optometrists. You've been spending too much time in the pre-allo forum.

I do not have an official source to back me up, but I have heard people with MD, DO, DMD, DDS, DPM, DC, OD, PharmD, DPT, DOT, PhD, DSc, and JD degrees all referred to as "Dr." Technically, if you have a doctorate-level degree in ANY field, you may be called "Dr."

There is no reason why someone with a "DOCTOR OF OPTOMETRY" degree should not be called "Dr."

Probably out of fear of public ignorance, many optometrists, dentists, and chiropractors put a sign in front of their practice that reads, "Dr. John Doe." Perhaps it's because people are more confident in their medical care if the title "Dr." is attributed to their practitioner. Most people would not know what "John Doe, OD" or "John Doe, DC" means, anyway. Public awareness of the degrees is lacking. The same is true for DOs.

My optometrist wears sandals to work. DR?

man...u should get a life and show some respect for other professionals.

i don't care what the heck ppl call me in the future, but as a DMD no one else in the health care system can touch teeth. I'll make $30 for 15min of tartar removal, $50 for a 20min oral examination, and a few hundred for a 30min filling (actual figures from my last teeth cleaning bill).

you MD/DO supremacists can eat your hearts

:)

Originally posted by LestatZinnie

i don't care what the heck ppl call me in the future, but as a DMD no one else in the health care system can touch teeth. I'll make $30 for 15min of tartar removal, $50 for a 20min oral examination, and a few hundred for a 30min filling (actual figures from my last teeth cleaning bill).

Word. :laugh:

Originally posted by LestatZinnie

tru dat! i can hear my uncles & aunts applauding too (they're MD's too)