Having an active instagram during dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

an instagram account during dental school will make a big difference after dental school?

• Total voters

goldcrown08

Reaction score
Hi SDN, I am an incoming D23. I have been browsing Instagram lately and realized that many dental students have active Instagram accounts. They either post pictures of themselves at their dental schools, at other dental occasions, or their success at dental schools. I don’t like sharing my private life on any of the current social media. However, I understand the need to network during dental school, to stay in touch with people and to kind of promote myself for a career after school. I’d like to know if having Instagram will make a huge impact on my career after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if youre gonna post on instagram about life in dental school, back it up by working hard.

I know plenty of people that care more about their dental instagrams than their schoolwork and hand skills. Its sad because they're just trying to show off to their followers that they wear figs scrubs and make pretty study guides.

Reactions: 20 users
if youre gonna post on instagram about life in dental school, back it up by working hard.

I know plenty of people that care more about their dental instagrams than their schoolwork and hand skills. Its sad because they're just trying to show off to their followers that they wear figs scrubs and make pretty study guides.

This!

Reactions: 1 users

I couldn't agree more. Are you in dental school to become a dentist or a celebrity?

Reactions: 4 users
No better place to post pics of you and your friends wearing the latest color FIGS.

had no idea about Figs until last week when the class wanted to do a group order!

All I hear is connections is the key to find employment (I'm actually a social person, and I'm not worried about that), but I wanted to know if having Instagram is going to make a huge difference after DS which apparently the answer is no!

It's like we go to the same school or something....

Reactions: 2 users
When it comes to promoting one's self professionally, I am of the opinion that social media can only hurt you.

Reactions: 6 users
Don't listen to these non believers. Instagram is always good. Who needs good crown Preps when you can use filters.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All I can say is whatever you post on instagram if you are trying to be a "dental school influencer/blogger" be prepared to deal with people at your school screening and talking smack about what you post. Just being honest!

Reactions: 6 users
All I can say is whatever you post on instagram if you are trying to be a "dental school influencer/blogger" be prepared to deal with people at your school screening and talking smack about what you post. Just being honest!

NON-BELIEVER! Any publicity is good publicity!

Post all you want. Don't blur out faces. Don't ask for permission. Just post it.

dental school influencer
If this is officially a thing, I’ve lost all hope in humanity. Time to start stockpiling bullets, beans, and bandaids because the end of the world is coming.

8DE9062E-72ED-43E9-8E93-829ED18065D4.gif

Big Hoss

Reactions: 10 users
Hi SDN, I am an incoming D23. I have been browsing Instagram lately and realized that many dental students have active Instagram accounts. They either post pictures of themselves at their dental schools, at other dental occasions, or their success at dental schools. I don’t like sharing my private life on any of the current social media. However, I understand the need to network during dental school, to stay in touch with people and to kind of promote myself for a career after school. I’d like to know if having Instagram will make a huge impact on my career after graduation?

In my class and the one below me, it seemed like the ones who were trying to become "insta-famous" weren't the same ones going above and beyond to become better clinicians. They'd rather take easy endo cases because the final cray would "look prettier" than if they tried to do a molar and had a short fill on a canal.

Also for what it's worth, I keep my Instagram private, never shared clinical photos while in school, and still had 20+ job offers.

Let's be honest, as a dental student you're not doing anything impressive. That denture set up that took you 3 months to make, or the Root canal that took about 5 hours isn't impressing anyone. Even your class 2 composites aren't interesting! Myself both as a dental student and a resident just skip through all my friends posts when they share dental cases because it bores me, and irritates me to see dentistry following me everywhere, even when I'm unwinding at home.

The lack of an instagram profile isn't going to cost you a job opportunity, if you're really worried about it focus on taking REAL photos, and make a portfolio that you can take to future interviews. I can't imagine an employer taking you seriously if you show him pictures of your crown prep on your Instagram feed with the Jakarta filter on it.

Reactions: 11 users
In my class and the one below me, it seemed like the ones who were trying to become "insta-famous" weren't the same ones going above and beyond to become better clinicians. They'd rather take easy endo cases because the final cray would "look prettier" than if they tried to do a molar and had a short fill on a canal.

Also for what it's worth, I keep my Instagram private, never shared clinical photos while in school, and still had 20+ job offers.

That's good to know! Thank you!

Let's be honest, as a dental student you're not doing anything impressive.

This is very true!

The lack of an instagram profile isn't going to cost you a job opportunity, if you're really worried about it focus on taking REAL photos, and make a portfolio that you can take to future interviews. I can't imagine an employer taking you seriously if you show him pictures of your crown prep on your Instagram feed with the Jakarta filter on it.

I think I was overwhelmed by all those filtered! photos I saw on Instagram.

No IG or Snapchat. FB I log in once a week since we’re “forced” to have a FB group for our dental school class for announcements but DGAF about what ppl did over the weekend.

I’m more interested in updating my resume, developing my hand skills (only 2 months into clinic but can complete most 2,3-surface restorations in less than an hour including the time-consuming faculty check), and checking my ever-growing stock portfolio to balance off my student loans. Those are things that pay off 2-10+ years down the line, not this millennial/gen-Z crap of putting up a internet facade to impress others for maybe 5 min

Reactions: 3 users
you do realize that IG, twitter,Snapchat,FB are not real things ....

I say go for it. You never know where life can take you.

For example, there are alot of healthcare instagrammers...and they have a couple hundred thousand followers. They model clothes/scrubs/and talk about their "day" in the ER.

My cousin in law is an instagrammer with 700k followers. She makes alot of money. Every post that is sponsered she can make 3-5000$. She posts every other day.

She makes more money then most dentists I know.

When you make more money posting a selfie on Instagram than doing brain surgery.

When you make more money posting a selfie on Instagram than doing brain surgery.

Yup.

The downside that I think with this instagram career is that it tends to be short lived. So my cousin in law has saved up all her money, zero debt, and has a computer science degree. When it doesn't work out for her anymore- she will go back to computer science.

And yes shes makes more then your DDS.

So for the original poster- I would say- just do it- you never know where it can go. Maybe you can be the next 1 mil follower instagram dentist.

Yup.

The downside that I think with this instagram career is that it tends to be short lived. So my cousin in law has saved up all her money, zero debt, and has a computer science degree. When it doesn't work out for her anymore- she will go back to computer science.

So for the original poster- I would say- just do it- you never know where it can go. Maybe you can be the next 1 mil follower instagram dentist.

She doesn't even have to go back to computer science. She can use her following to build a business the easy way, and make way more than a computer scientist or dentist ever could. Those fitness teas aren't gonna sell themselves haha

She doesn't even have to go back to computer science. She can use her following to build a business the easy way, and make way more than a computer scientist or dentist ever could. Those fitness teas aren't gonna sell themselves haha

Yup she has already gone into branding her own shirts, and instagram filters. Her filters are 40$ each. 700k followers. Everytime she has someone hashtag her filter or shirt, she will feature them in a instagram story. It's really brilliant.

You can do the math- on top of the sponsers- on top of the self branding.

Yup.

I feel like you are bringing up unicorns. You can go play video games on twitch and make hundreds of thousands when you get 5k people watching you. Including sponsors and selling all your “gear”.

Well for every one of those there’s more people that don’t make it. Similar to dentistry, some DDS have very savy business skills taking in a multiple millions a year others barely break 150k.

And there’s something most “scrub models” have in common. They are good looking. If OP doesn’t this part, it’s a waste of time.

I feel like you are bringing up unicorns. You can go play video games on twitch and make hundreds of thousands when you get 5k people watching you. Including sponsors and selling all your “gear”.

Well for every one of those there’s more people that don’t make it. Similar to dentistry, some DDS have very savy business skills taking in a multiple millions a year others barely break 150k.

And there’s something most “scrub models” have in common. They are good looking. If OP doesn’t this part, it’s a waste of time.

Atleast they don't have to go 400k in debt or spend 8 years minimum making nothing.

How to get rich in 2020:
1. Be attractive
2. Don't be unattractive
3. Sell fitness teas

Next time someone says doctors/dentists make too much I'm just gonna show them Logan Pauls bank account :rofl:

So let’s be honest here.

I 100% agree.

What I meant in my post is that you have nothing to lose. If you become instagram-famous as a doctor or dentist. You are set. Sell a bunch of merch with teeth logos with your name on it. Cool.

The reality is that is a 1 in a million case. It probably won’t happen.

But here’s realistically what could happen. You get a few thousand followers, become the local dentist in sf that does #hastag root canals and promotes your business. My endodontist has 6k followers and some of the local gps who are well known have 5-10k followers.

That being said, for a dental student or associate I don’t think it matters. For an owner- it does matter as its free advertising. And hey maybe you might be the lucky dentist who becomes instagramfamous

Oh and if you don't already feel bad, just know that there's dogs and cats who make more money than docs. Yeah you know those "influencer" dogs with 1 mil+ followers haha

It's 2020 and pets are out there are making more than doctors :arghh: :(

What's with all the instagram hate? Dentists in the real world spend thousands of dollars in advertising their practice. You can do this for free via social media. It's the 21st century, it's time to move on from the archaic newspaper ads.

Also, you can really learn a thing or two from some of these accounts.

What's with all the instagram hate? Dentists in the real world spend thousands of dollars in advertising their practice. You can do this for free via social media. It's the 21st century, it's time to move on from the archaic newspaper ads.

Also, you can really learn a thing or two from some of these accounts.

Yup.

I used to spend 3000 a month on advertising alone. SEO etc. Compound that in a year and 10 years and that’s a lot of money.

Today I do about 100-200$ a month. Social media through Instagram and Facebook and google reviews.

Social media is free advertising. Advertising is the lifeblood of your practice because you get new patients. Don’t shy away from it. Embrace it.

I’d be interested to see how much of an influence IG has on recruiting active patients besides making someone look “inviting.” Most people needing dental work are older, look for who takes their dental benefits, and may be using Facebook to target dental practices in their areas.

Some dentists and dental students do a really good job connecting with the public.

Perhaps IG can be a really good way to showcase work if one wants to have access to that and share it with others.

Who knows? I’m open to how one does it. This might be the next wave of CE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk