Have to come up with a 1-hour antipsychotic lecture ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teufelhunden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The audience is 2nd year medical students. Long story, but I volunteered for classes than I should have this month, and I need to come up with something fast. I was going to do questions, preferably questions that are USMLE/COMLEX relevant. Any suggestions where I can borrow/steal questions for this? Test banks? I'll pay for something if I have to. I just don't have the time to author a bunch of new questions, answers and answer explanations de novo, know what I mean?

(I'm not lazy, I swear. I'm in the middle of coming up with 5 hours of material for a "Caring For Veterans" block, all while working full time at my regular job ... I just overcommitted this month.)

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, it'll make you a great outline, and test questions too. Formatting doesn't paste well.

VII. Test Questions

1. What is the primary neurotransmitter targeted by antipsychotic medications, and how does its dysregulation relate to the dopamine hypothesis of psychosis?A. Serotonin; Serotonin levels correlate with positive symptoms of psychosis.B. Dopamine; Excess dopamine activity is associated with positive symptoms of psychosis.C. Norepinephrine; Norepinephrine depletion leads to negative symptoms of psychosis.
  2. Compare and contrast typical and atypical antipsychotics in terms of their mechanism of action and side-effect profiles.A. Typical antipsychotics primarily target serotonin receptors and are associated with fewer extrapyramidal symptoms.B. Atypical antipsychotics primarily target dopamine receptors and are associated with more metabolic side-effects.C. Typical antipsychotics primarily target dopamine receptors and are associated with more extrapyramidal symptoms.
  3. Discuss the historical progression of antipsychotic medications, highlighting key milestones in their development.A. Antipsychotic medications were first discovered in the 21st century, leading to immediate widespread use.B. The development of antipsychotic medications began in the 1950s, with the introduction of chlorpromazine as the first typical antipsychotic.C. Antipsychotic medications were initially used exclusively for mood disorders before being repurposed for psychotic disorders.
  4. Describe the clinical indications for prescribing antipsychotic medications beyond schizophrenia, providing examples of off-label uses.A. Antipsychotic medications are exclusively indicated for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, with no off-label uses.B. Off-label uses of antipsychotic medications include treating anxiety disorders and insomnia.C. Antipsychotic medications are also used off-label for managing agitation in dementia patients and treating Tourette's syndrome.
  5. Explain the concept of extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS) and discuss strategies for managing these side-effects in patients receiving antipsychotic treatment.A. EPS are primarily characterized by metabolic disturbances such as weight gain and dyslipidemia.B. EPS encompass movement disorders such as dystonia, akathisia, and Parkinsonism, caused by dopamine blockade.C. EPS refer to gastrointestinal side-effects commonly seen with antipsychotic medications, such as constipation and nausea.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This book and it's series (like this one) were fantastic when I was charged as the resident on service with giving a few lectures for medical students on their core psych rotation. Excellent explanations for answers.

Reactions: 1 user
When is this needed by? Imo the best psych resources for M2s for psych is First Aid for psychiatry. They have specific short sections for psychotic disorders and antipsychotics that could easily be made into questions. You could also look into the Case Files psychiatry book. Will give you questions in the form of case reports you could use. That’s where you’ll get info that’s highest yield to their shelf exam and still relevant to what we do.

Yup, it'll make you a great outline, and test questions too. Formatting doesn't paste well.

VII. Test Questions

1. What is the primary neurotransmitter targeted by antipsychotic medications, and how does its dysregulation relate to the dopamine hypothesis of psychosis?A. Serotonin; Serotonin levels correlate with positive symptoms of psychosis.B. Dopamine; Excess dopamine activity is associated with positive symptoms of psychosis.C. Norepinephrine; Norepinephrine depletion leads to negative symptoms of psychosis.
  2. Compare and contrast typical and atypical antipsychotics in terms of their mechanism of action and side-effect profiles.A. Typical antipsychotics primarily target serotonin receptors and are associated with fewer extrapyramidal symptoms.B. Atypical antipsychotics primarily target dopamine receptors and are associated with more metabolic side-effects.C. Typical antipsychotics primarily target dopamine receptors and are associated with more extrapyramidal symptoms.
  3. Discuss the historical progression of antipsychotic medications, highlighting key milestones in their development.A. Antipsychotic medications were first discovered in the 21st century, leading to immediate widespread use.B. The development of antipsychotic medications began in the 1950s, with the introduction of chlorpromazine as the first typical antipsychotic.C. Antipsychotic medications were initially used exclusively for mood disorders before being repurposed for psychotic disorders.
  4. Describe the clinical indications for prescribing antipsychotic medications beyond schizophrenia, providing examples of off-label uses.A. Antipsychotic medications are exclusively indicated for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, with no off-label uses.B. Off-label uses of antipsychotic medications include treating anxiety disorders and insomnia.C. Antipsychotic medications are also used off-label for managing agitation in dementia patients and treating Tourette's syndrome.
  5. Explain the concept of extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS) and discuss strategies for managing these side-effects in patients receiving antipsychotic treatment.A. EPS are primarily characterized by metabolic disturbances such as weight gain and dyslipidemia.B. EPS encompass movement disorders such as dystonia, akathisia, and Parkinsonism, caused by dopamine blockade.C. EPS refer to gastrointestinal side-effects commonly seen with antipsychotic medications, such as constipation and nausea.

Sorry, but this is just another example of why I couldn’t use ChatGPT for something like this. Questions 1 and 5 are okay, but the others are terrible questions that are either too general, non-standard, or irrelevant to be helpful to M2s. They’re also just horribly written for learning and the incorrect answers don’t add anything to their actual medical education.

When is this needed by? Imo the best psych resources for M2s for psych is First Aid for psychiatry. They have specific short sections for psychotic disorders and antipsychotics that could easily be made into questions. You could also look into the Case Files psychiatry book. Will give you questions in the form of case reports you could use. That’s where you’ll get info that’s highest yield to their shelf exam and still relevant to what we do.

Sorry, but this is just another example of why I couldn’t use ChatGPT for something like this. Questions 1 and 5 are okay, but the others are terrible questions that are either too general, non-standard, or irrelevant to be helpful to M2s. They’re also just horribly written for learning and the incorrect answers don’t add anything to their actual medical education.
agree, first aid for psychiatry is actually an amazing resource at the medical student level and if youre just focused on USMLE/comlex prep would be your best bet for an outline

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to do a good lecture, you should include the complicated situation now where we have several newer antipsychotics with weaker D2 blockage, but yet they still work, and several are being used even more as antidepressants than antipsychotics despite the terminology.

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to do a good lecture, you should include the complicated situation now where we have several newer antipsychotics with weaker D2 blockage, but yet they still work, and several are being used even more as antidepressants than antipsychotics despite the terminology.

lol it's 2nd year med students it's not even 3rd years on a psych rotation....half of them are probably gonna be sleeping and the other half only care about stuff that might be helpful for a shelf exam 3rd year.

First Aid for Psychiatry or the APA books are probably a good bet if you want people to even be remotely engaged cause at least you can call it "high yield".

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Why are you apologizing? I have no investment either way :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user