Have any of you ever doubted yourselves about making it as a dentist? How did you overcome it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDr201

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
- I graduated last year with a 2.9 cumulative GPA.
- I decided to pursue dentistry late - say around senior year?
- I often find myself thinking whether I'm smart enough and doubt whether I'm ever gonna make it to dental school.

Perhaps some of you guys could relate?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still doubting my self after my first semester at dental school :heckyeah:. People were so happy after the white coat ceremony, and here am I thinking that we haven't even seen patients yet, why are we here! I'll most probably start believing it 3rd year when I'm seeing patients. But scoring high on some exams here, compared to my peers, especially from a small named undergrad like mine, definitely gave a confidence boost.

But just keep believing in yourself. All it takes is a dream and a bit of courage to sit down and take the DAT. Finishing that exam was the best day of my life. Perseverance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up. Don't give up. Don't give up.
I always knew I wanted to go into dentistry... since middle school actually. I had a decent GPA nothing outstanding and an OK DAT, yet when I first applied to dental school I didn't get an interview.
I gave myself a year to build my resume...tried dental hygiene, which I did not like... and decided to go for dentistry again, retook the DAT. Scored much better, got a higher GPA.
Now ill be going to dental school next august and I still can't believe it.
Don't give up, if you want it, you will get it.

Reactions: 1 users
I had many doubts during admission and in dental school. I thought many times I couldn't make it or would not enjoy it as a dentist. 10 years in,,,,, I love it and and am killing it professionally and financially. It is all about your focus and motivation, as well as you social and professional skills.

Reactions: 3 users