hating research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCguy

Earnest Internist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else here really hate the research they are doing? After spending the summer working in a lab and being convinced to continue with an independent study this semester, I know that I definitely don't want to do research when I'm older. I guess most people enjoy their projects, and I can't say that I don't find my subject (ovarian cancer) important and interesting; I just can't get into it. I mean, I guess its good that I found this out before attempting a PhD program or something, but everytime I think about having to work on it, I just want to shoot myself (okay, maybe that was a little dramatic)

Members don't see this ad.

Research isn't for everyone. Relatively few people like pipetting things all day. What makes it worthwhile is when you are an expert in your field, and you have the ability to add to the knowledge of that field.
For me, coming up with the ideas and writing the results are the best parts. I could do without doing the experiments- that's just tedious work. Eventually I will be in the position to run my own lab and do just that.

Research isn't for everyone. Relatively few people like pipetting things all day. What makes it worthwhile is when you are an expert in your field, and you have the ability to add to the knowledge of that field.
For me, coming up with the ideas and writing the results are the best parts. I could do without doing the experiments- that's just tedious work. Eventually I will be in the position to run my own lab and do just that.

I hate working with RATS period.