Hate attending class

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my high school, the classes are required to attend and the teachers lecture a small amount of materials every time during the classes.

What I have found is that I can accomplish more by reading the text by my own. The best part is that I can actually understand the course materials instead of just memorizing how to do it.

Are the classes in college like this ? Is it be possible to study by your own ? Also, how many of you prefer studying by your own comparing to attending classes ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In high school, the classes are required and the teacher lecture a small amount of materials every time.

What I have found is, that I can accomplish more by reading the text by my own and the best part is I can actually understand the cource materials instead of just memorizing how to do it. The high school classes spend a lot of time telling me eiter just the facts or how to do a question but the classes dont tell me "why".

I hate attend every class and Id rather study to read the text book by my own, which doesnt let me happen in high school.

I hate going school everytime because of this issue.

Is the classes in collegge like this ? I am an independent learner and I love to structure my own way and time, which I have learned from studying abord and away from home.

I see...

I think you're asking if you can skip college classes and study on your own, yes? Usually the answer is yes, you can. It'll require a lot of dedication on your part to keep up, but it's certainly possible. Some classes require and/or assign points for attendance or participation in class. Those classes are obviously ones you'll need to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're asking if you can skip college classes and study on your own, yes? Usually the answer is yes, you can. It'll require a lot of dedication on your part to keep up, but it's certainly possible. Some classes require and/or assign points for attendance or participation in class. Those classes are obviously ones you'll need to attend.
And just to add, a LOT of medical students (especially those that lurk SDN) routinely skip class to study on their own.

Definitely true. I'd say at least a quarter of my class skips every lecture, and far more than that skip selected lecture(r)s.

You can skip classes all the time. It is usually recommended to attend small classes. You will eventually need recommendation letters as a pre-professional student, so it is advisable to attend and smile like you care anyway.

I recommend that you attend all English and composition classes regardless.

Last edited:
You can skip classes all the time. It is usually recommended to attend small classes. You will eventually need recommendation letters as a pre-professional students, so it is advisable to attend and smile like you care anyway.

I recommend that you attend all English and composition classes regardless.

Thank you for your reply.

Why do I need to attend all English and composition classes ?

Thank you for your reply.

Why do I need to attend all English and composition classes ?

It was sarcasm. Your original post was riddled with subject/verb agreement problems, which rubbed off on my post evidently. It also had an extra verb thrown into a sentence and some other things.

It was sarcasm. Your original post was riddled with subject/verb agreement problems, which rubbed off on my post evidently. It also had an extra verb thrown into a sentence and some other things.

Sorry about that.

I almost never paid attention to lectures in high school and studied on my own. Same goes for college, though I haven't been as good with keeping up with my studies. Do NOT overestimate how much free time you have. That was my problem this year - I kept thinking about how much free time I had since I didn't go to class.

Anyway, don't skip the classes that are notoriously difficult. Organic chemistry shouldn't be skipped. Go to your smaller classes - they'll usually make those classes attendance-mandatory anyway, plus you want to make a good impression on your professor. Labs are also mandatory.

Many professors are lax about attendance in college. Not all, however. I've had some professors that are real sticklers about class attendance and wouldn't hesitate to drop you down for a full letter grade for excessive absences (3 or more). Might want to investigate a professor's policy before skipping.