General Admissions & OTCAS Has anyone with a low # of observation hours gotten into OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb0106

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble finding places to observe. I have some hours under my belt, but not many.

If so, which schools were you accepted to?

Anyone know of any schools in particular that DO NOT look heavily on observation hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am having trouble finding places to observe. I have some hours under my belt, but not many.

Anyone know of any schools in particular that DO NOT look heavily on observation hours?
Yep, TWU, they mainly focus on overall and prereq gpa, they need to be really high though.......

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Pacific University - I had something like 26 hours and they required 20. Just squeaked in on those, ha!

I went to Pacific University - I had something like 26 hours and they required 20. Just squeaked in on those, ha!

I am looking at their program now. I am a little confused, so it is a doctorate program? I can apply with my bachelor's degree? I am having trouble finding their admissions requirements. When did you attend and what were your stats when you applied? Thanks!

(sb0106- ) Anyone know of any schools in particular that DO NOT look heavily on observation hours?
I have only done 60hrs. at one place. I received an interview at Brenau and I got into USciences in Philadelphia 2015. USciences is suppose to be one of the top Occupational Therapy school in the states. Not sure about that, but that is what people around me are saying. I'm just glad I got in somewhere because the competition is fierce. I would just at least get in the min. hours and start applying. Add hours later once you complete them. If your GPA is good and you joined some clubs if your honors and licenses for anything make your application look good. I am an EMT. And I have passed my Praxis, not a teacher but have a sub. Certificate. Put it all down. It all makes your application look better. They are looking for overall experience, and life experience as a person, not just your grades. Inhale seen people say they have a GPA overall 4.0 and never got less than an A, and did great on GRE and have not got into any schools. Oh and your personal statement, make sure its catchy. If you think it needs work, go sit with someone who can help you improve it. I also think that is what got me in, I write well under no pressure. Lol under pressure is a different story. You have time, make it amazing. Sell your self, because that is what you are doing. I wouldn't go crazy on hours and not apply, apply with the min. requirement and add them as you do them. Call everywhere including hospital in area and talk to human resources. They will know or should know of places for you to do hours. Hope it helps

I live 15 min outside of Philly and USciences is not what I think of when I think top PA schools. The top schools in PA are Jefferson and Temple without a doubt. I applied to USciences and unfortunately did not get in. I just confirmed that I will be getting more hours this summer. Where else did you apply and where were you accepted/rejected? ALso, where are you from? Congrats on getting in, what a relief! I have found that PA schools are very competitive for whatever reason haha. THe amount of people who apply to PA schools is ridiculous!

D'Youville college in Buffalo, NY does not require observation hours or the GRE. They only look at recommendation letters and grades. They do not work with OTCAS and they have rolling admissions. The program is expensive, though.

I got into other programs with 40 hours of observation, which was the minimum. I think I would have gotten into more places if I had shadowed more. You could try to be more aggressive about shadowing. I found that nursing homes were the best places to shadow and they really didn't mind having people there. Hospitals were impossible because of health/security clearances and small practices only allowed for 1 day of shadowing.

I live 15 min outside of Philly and USciences is not what I think of when I think top PA schools. The top schools in PA are Jefferson and Temple without a doubt. I applied to USciences and unfortunately did not get in. I just confirmed that I will be getting more hours this summer. Where else did you apply and where were you accepted/rejected? ALso, where are you from? Congrats on getting in, what a relief! I have found that PA schools are very competitive for whatever reason haha. THe amount of people who apply to PA schools is ridiculous!
I only applied to three , I got into Usciences but put in for deferment and just got interview for Brenau University which is a weekend program. I heard Usciences is a top school only for the sciences and they are known for it. I also heard when you apply for a job from graduating from there you will get hired almost def. But it may also be preference. You hear so many stories, who knows. I just want to pass once I get in and go to a school I can afford when I get out. I don't want tons of debt. But that is with anything. Lol Good Luck to you.

I only applied to three , I got into Usciences but put in for deferment and just got interview for Brenau University which is a weekend program. I heard Usciences is a top school only for the sciences and they are known for it. I also heard when you apply for a job from graduating from there you will get hired almost def. But it may also be preference. You hear so many stories, who knows. I just want to pass once I get in and go to a school I can afford when I get out. I don't want tons of debt. But that is with anything. Lol Good Luck to you.
Also, one in a OT told me at a graduate school who picks applications. She said shadow at an odd place. Be different because that is what they like. A jail. Etc. It stands out and the experience is something different you can bring to the class and share.

TWU - I had maybe 60 hours total and I don't think most people in my class had an extreme amount of hours or anything.

I had just over the number of hours that my school wanted of applicants. If a school asks for a certain number, make sure you meet that number. I also doubt that having hundreds of hours really helps an application or makes up for other weak spots. Getting a feel for the job and good letters of recommendation are more important.

Reactions: 1 user
I am looking at their program now. I am a little confused, so it is a doctorate program? I can apply with my bachelor's degree? I am having trouble finding their admissions requirements. When did you attend and what were your stats when you applied? Thanks!
Sorry to get back to you so late - it is now a doctorate program, and I believe you can apply with a Bachelors (e.g. do not need to already have a Masters degree). I did the Masters program, so not really to up on what the requirements are now. If you have any questions feel free to email/call them and ask, they are usually pretty open and helpful. I haven't been on the forum enough to know what you mean by stats - GPA? I think mine was 3.7, something like that. Best of luck to you!

I only shadowed for a week, 20 hours. It really depends on the school.

I only shadowed for a week, 20 hours. It really depends on the school.

Really?! I only have 20ish hours as of right now. Just started a second shadowing gig though so I'm hoping to do about 6-8 hrs a week over the course of the summer. Hopefully I will get at least 50 hrs from this place, bringing my total to 70 at the minimum.

So where did you get in with only 20 hours?

I know that Jefferson is now accepting just 50 and most schools are changing that as well. They just want you to be familiar with the field and have some experience. Before I know that the more hours you had, the better your chance was at getting into most OT schools. They do like a variety of settings though, so don't do all 50hours at one place. Good luck!

If you have a good GPA you have the luxury to shadow less lol

I only had a little above 45 hours. Like some people said it's the all around package that they are looking for. At first I was timid because there are people with 300+ hours of observation and most definetly thought it would be a struggle to compete with that. I am happy to say I got accepted into 3 different programs here in Texas and decided to attend UTMB. So in my honest opinion as long as you meet the minimum hours needed you will be fine. Although I do reccommend to make sure to get the best grades possible and other volunteer experiences etc