Has anyone gotten a residency interview at NYU this past cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anything other than PM&R? I'm genuinely curious. I attempted to apply for an elective rotation in one of the specialties and was told they only accept applications from LCME institutions. Why are they so anti-DO? Spare me the "there are so many qualified applicants" talk..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For anything other than PM&R? I'm genuinely curious. I applied for an elective rotation in one of the specialties and was told they only accept applications from LCME institutions. Why are they so anti-DO? Spare me the "there are so many qualified applicants" talk..
I know of a few for anesthesia, but apparently it was a shizshow for interviews in general as well as surrounding their new Brooklyn track.

They’ve taken people in pathology.

I believe (unconfirmed rumor) they have interviewed DOs in Neurology.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anything other than PM&R? I'm genuinely curious. I applied for an elective rotation in one of the specialties and was told they only accept applications from LCME institutions. Why are they so anti-DO? Spare me the "there are so many qualified applicants" talk..

Did you provide a competitive step 1 score on VSAS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 2 users
My school has two matches to NYU this year. Neurology and Pathology. I also know a couple who interviewed for PMR.

• Love
Did you provide a competitive step 1 score on VSAS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

let’s just say that in most fields, you’re gonna need a lot more than high step scores to score an interview at NYU as a DO.

Reactions: 3 users
OP it's pretty widely known that NYU is pretty anti-DO. Shouldn't come as a surprise.

Reactions: 4 users
For anything other than PM&R? I'm genuinely curious. I attempted to apply for an elective rotation in one of the specialties and was told they only accept applications from LCME institutions. Why are they so anti-DO? Spare me the "there are so many qualified applicants" talk..
Elite programs dislike DOs because:
1) They're worried about the poor clinical training that some schools have, which tar all the schools.
2) They're worried about not being able to recruit star candidates who have elitist attitudes like "There are DOs here?? What's wrong with this program???"
3) The oldest PDs may still have the anti-"cult of Still" mindset.
4) "There are so many qualified applicants" is a valid reason. It's no different that HMS or Stanford turning away people with median stats. They can afford to admit only the 90th + %ile people.

• Sad
1) They're worried about the poor clinical training that some schools have, which tar all the schools.
2) They're worried about not being able to recruit star candidates who have elitist attitudes like "There are DOs here?? What's wrong with this program???"
4) "There are so many qualified applicants" is a valid reason. It's no different that HMS or Stanford turning away people with median stats. They can afford to admit only the 90th + %ile people.

I would amend to say it isn’t just elite programs but there are programs across all tiers that have preferences that may not include DOs. This is normal, fine and acceptable imo.
There are plenty of “elite” programs that take DOs, it just depends on each situation.

I also think 2 is overblown. This may happen for a few places but you want to avoid that type of inferiority complex all day anyway.

Agree with 3/4.

Have you seen everything going on with NYU? How abusive they are to their residents, in multiple specialties? You do NOT want to do residency there.

Reactions: 8 users
1. Training in NYC is for people who like to make dumb decisions even after everyone tells them not to and doubly so after this covid disaster.
2. Programs like this may be run by truly insufferable types but asking to spare you the "there are so many qualified applicants" argument means that you aren't here to have a discussion in good faith.
3. Elective rotation restrictions are not DO hating as much as a way to protect rotations for their own students. Would you want parasitic schools (DO or Caribbean) that offer absolutely nothing to medical education but mooching off of everyone else to benefit from your infrastructure? The answer is no. An MD student with a hospital provides a potential away rotation for their students to use and vice versa. It's trade. We offer zero benefit.

I get that, but not consider DOs for an elective rotation? Is that even "legal" to do post-merger?
Why would that not be legal? What do you think the merger says in the actual written agreements?

Edit: the merger (hostile takeover) is not an agreement about rotations or step scores etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How is it that several of the NYU programs in Brooklyn went from all DOs to all IMGs - including Carribean schools? I don’t believe their clinical rotations are any better than ours.

How is it that several of the NYU programs in Brooklyn went from all DOs to all IMGs - including Carribean schools? I don’t believe their clinical rotations are any better than ours.
Different PD probably who knows they have the IMGs by the balls. Seems to be a common theme.

Several (most?) of the NYU Brooklyn programs are former AOA programs. Carib students make up the majority of students rotating at those hospitals.

Edit: Yes it is completely legal to deny DO's rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
I would amend to say it isn’t just elite programs but there are programs across all tiers that have preferences that may not include DOs. This is normal, fine and acceptable imo.
There are plenty of “elite” programs that take DOs, it just depends on each situation.

I also think 2 is overblown. This may happen for a few places but you want to avoid that type of inferiority complex all day anyway.

Agree with 3/4.
It seems to be a disease particular to the more upper strata of residencies.

Concerning #2, we'd had PDs and residents specifically express this mindset.

We know that plenty of elite programs take DOs my school has already done that ad nauseaum. That's not the point of the OP.

I know of multiple DO candidates that interviewed at NYU for anesthesiology. The catch was that the interview day (which apparently was absolute crap btw) counted for both campuses. From what I heard, none of the DO candidates (including a 260+ scorer) were interviewed by the Manhattan PD and believed they were only ranked for the Brooklyn campus

I know of multiple DO candidates that interviewed at NYU for anesthesiology. The catch was that the interview day (which apparently was absolute crap btw) counted for both campuses. From what I heard, none of the DO candidates (including a 260+ scorer) were interviewed by the Manhattan PD and believed they were only ranked for the Brooklyn campus

This is true. I've heard from my own classmates who interviewed there this happened.

Maybe because IMGs can be abused and worked harder and will never complain, which aligns with the general workhorse and borderline (or actual) malignant culture surrounding a large portion of nyc programs??

Maybe because IMGs can be abused and worked harder and will never complain, which aligns with the general workhorse and borderline (or actual) malignant culture surrounding a large portion of nyc programs??

I believe it also might be possible that the Caribbean Med Schools "bought out" the seats at these residency programs. I know this definitely happens in NJ for some programs. After all, the outrageous tuition the Caribbean med students spent has to go somewhere.

I believe it also might be possible that the Caribbean Med Schools "bought out" the seats at these residency programs. I know this definitely happens in NJ for some programs. After all, the outrageous tuition the Caribbean med students spent has to go somewhere.
Is there any proof to substantiate this? It makes sense.

Can you elaborate???

I'm a US-MD grad and IM intern who declined my NYU interview and am glad I did. You're not missing out on much there.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I heard about rotations but not residency.
Well, the contract is for clinical training, and I'm pretty sure that involves residency as well. That's why people from the Caribbean usually end up in these areas. NY and NJ is full of IMGs from the Caribbean.

I saw this the other day, and it's not the first I have heard coming from NY, and was wondering if it is NY in general that is pretty malignant and playing a role in this (on top of the stress associated with the current climate). NY-presbyterian Hospital is affiliated with Weil Corneil GME programs, so here's another place I would do more research about before applying. You know, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

I continue to be confused why the hell people not from NYC would willingly submit themselves to dealing with NY residency conditions. Unless I was from there, I cannot think of a place I'd hate doing residency in the US more.

Reactions: 8 users
I continue to be confused why the hell people not from NYC would willingly submit themselves to dealing with NY residency conditions. Unless I was from there, I cannot think of a place I'd hate doing residency in the US more.
Yet there are many people in line to do residency there. I heard about the conditions but a residency at NYU or Mt Sinai will get your far

Yet there are many people in line to do residency there. I heard about the conditions but a residency at NYU or Mt Sinai will get your far

I don't dispute the fact people want to go there. I just don't get it.

People are willing to bite the bullet at places like NYU, Icahn, NYP because they are consistently considered to be top programs in internal medicine leading to very good fellowship placement. So for those who are from the area and come from strong schools, it's ideal to stay and be at a strong university IM program.

If you want to live and practice in NY, you do residency in NY. Same with other major cities where med students hail from. The #1 determinant of where doctors practice is where they did residency.

If you want to live and practice in NY, you do residency in NY. Same with other major cities where med students hail from. The #1 determinant of where doctors practice is where they did residency.
You don't actually need a NY residency to practice in NY. Where are you getting that from?

Last edited:
The #1 determinant of where doctors practice is where they did residency.

I mean a lot of people do residency where they want to eventually practice so this truism may not be all that useful for the people who want to practice in a different location than where they completed residency.

I mean a lot of people do residency where they want to eventually practice so this truism may not be all that useful for the people who want to practice in a different location than where they completed residency.
Is that still the rule, given the increased competitiveness of coastal residencies? For instance, it would be very difficult to match in LA city, but usually ppl are told they can do residency elsewhere and come back to LA for practice.

Is that still the rule, given the increased competitiveness of coastal residencies? For instance, it would be very difficult to match in LA city, but usually ppl are told they can do residency elsewhere and come back to LA for practice.
Residency is long, and for a lot of people, is when they start laying down roots (i.e. significant other, family, housing, etc.). Never mind the networking opportunities that come along with residency. I wouldn't be surprised if > 50% of people stay to practice in the same state where they attend residency. I think the exception here is people dead set on a fellowship, because a lot of them are done via a match.

Matching LA might not be easy, but if you are Cali or bust there are plenty of mediocre residencies outside of the cities.

Also, regarding NY, NY (and PA and NJ for that matter) have a lot of residencies not in NYC, and going to many of them will make practicing in NY (or the tri-state area) easy. You don't have to subject yourself to the abuse there.

Op didn’t answer so not likely.
Try reading.

I had edited the OP days ago. I tried applying directly through the program and was told they only accept applications from those who attend LCME schools.

Op didn’t answer so not likely.
To clarify this since you don't seem to understand my post, and probably won't understand my reply. I did not get a chance to apply, thus they did not see my scores.

Are you a pre-med?

To clarify this since you don't seem to understand my post, and probably won't understand my reply. I did not get a chance to apply, thus they did not see my scores.

Are you a pre-med?
Asks for help. Hears things he doesn’t like. Gets angry. Lol

@risus_sardonicus @ritts Im guessing you guys don’t read either. Try learning. It might help you in life.
We can read. Your questions are just dumb. Why are you asking why they don’t want DOs. The answer is because it’s their choice and lots of qualified applicants with good step scores. Unlike yourself probably.

Reactions: 5 users
@risus_sardonicus @ritts Im guessing you guys don’t read either. Try learning. It might help you in life.
I love how flustered you’re getting. I’m not sure if you’ve been keeping up but VSAS has been suspended for some time now and there’s a good chance that away rotations aren’t a thing this year. Thinking you’ll get one in the epicenter of the pandemic is laughable. Why are you taking it so personally that they don’t want you on a rotation?

Last edited:
I love how flustered you’re getting. I’m not sure if you’ve been keeping up but VSAS has been suspended for some time now and there’s a good chance that away rotations aren’t a thing this year. Thinking you’ll get one in the epicenter of the pandemic is laughable.
why are you taking it so personally that they don’t want you on a rotation?
Don't waste the effort. He will probably just put you on ignore lol. Some of his past threads have followed a very similar track.

Don't waste the effort. He will probably just put you on ignore lol. Some of his past threads have followed a very similar track.
We can’t win when someone asks a question and tells us how we can’t answer. Is it even a question or looking for affirmations.
“Please someone tell me why I can’t get this residency. Don’t say it’s board scores, research, bad personality, being a DO, being less than a 8/10 on the hawt scale, poor grades, or bad letters, or smelly feet”

Status
Not open for further replies.