Has anyone ever worked for a "Bible Thumper"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xenophylia

Charles Darwin fan club president
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been speaking to an independent pharmacy owner about a possible opportunity but have come to find the owner is a bit of a religious zealot. I'm not religious primarily due to being the product of a science education which has pounded into my head not to believe in anything that isn't verifiable. I did a sort of "interview" via email and I think some of my responses may have skirted the issue. One of them was "comment on our mission statement"- it touched on God or religion 3 times in 3 lines. Hard not to mention it or pretend you didn't notice it. I've also been warned that the store plays religious music all day (as opposed to muzak- not sure which is worse...). It's a VERY religious community and since he's independent he can do what he likes. But in my retail chain days we were forbidden to do anything which indicated religion for fear of offending anyone ("happy holidays, etc.). Is there an inherent problem working for him with such different views? Just curious to hear if anyone else has made something like this work or if such a pairing is doomed to failure from the start....

Members don't see this ad.

Been speaking to an independent pharmacy owner about a possible opportunity but have come to find the owner is a bit of a religious zealot. I'm not religious primarily due to being the product of a science education which has pounded into my head not to believe in anything that isn't verifiable. I did a sort of "interview" via email and I think some of my responses may have skirted the issue. One of them was "comment on our mission statement"- it touched on God or religion 3 times in 3 lines. Hard not to mention it or pretend you didn't notice it. I've also been warned that the store plays religious music all day (as opposed to muzak- not sure which is worse...). It's a VERY religious community and since he's independent he can do what he likes. But in my retail chain days we were forbidden to do anything which indicated religion for fear of offending anyone ("happy holidays, etc.). Is there an inherent problem working for him with such different views? Just curious to hear if anyone else has made something like this work or if such a pairing is doomed to failure from the start....
more than likely he would prefer to hire someone with similar values and will not offer you the job

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'd be surprised if he did offer it (and note sure I want him to!), but that's not the point. Was looking to see if anyone had ever attempted to work under such a situation... Normally I'd prefer not to know that much about a boss or co-worker. He could worship Cthulhu for all I care.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it sort of annoys me when people wear their religion on there sleeve like that. But it's his circus- he can run it however he likes...

It probably depends on if you are just areligious, or if you are a militant atheist. If you are just areligious and don't care one way or the other, then you would probably do just fine. If you are a militant atheist, it will probably gall you and drive you crazy working there. Ignoring the music should be easy, I've sure there are plenty of non-Catholics working at Catholic hospitals who just ignore the morning and evening prayers. Now whether your employer harrasses you all the time about your religion, I wouldn't expect that, but that is a possibility. You would need the mindset of just being non-nonchalant, and politely nodding and agreeing (really, it wouldn't be that much different from politely nodding and agreeing with your chain DM when he tells you he wants you to increase your daily RX's by 50% and that he is cutting tech hours by 75%.)

You would need the mindset of just being non-nonchalant, and politely nodding and agreeing (really, it wouldn't be that much different from politely nodding and agreeing with your chain DM when he tells you he wants you to increase your daily RX's by 50% and that he is cutting tech hours by 75%.)

True- I have Jedi level powers in that area. And no, I'm not "militaristic". Hard to not make fun sometimes, though. Really, I sometimes gotta envy those who can completely suspend their disbelief. Must be a wonderful crutch when life gets sh*tty. Lacking the "F" chromosome as I do I've never had that luxury though.

Last edited:
True- I have Jedi level powers in that area. And no, I'm not "militaristic". Hard to not make fun sometimes, though. Really, I sometimes gotta envy those who can completely suspend their disbelief. Must be a wonderful crutch when life gets sh*tty. Lacking the "F" chromosome as I do I've never had that luxury though.
You don’t sound neutral at all.

You can work there if you can be neutral and can actually keep out of that mindset

I think the owner's question about their mission statement was probably their way of asking about your beliefs. If you took the opportunity to talk about your own beliefs or your church (as a religious person likely would), then you're in. Since you didn't, its not a good fit. Sounds like a clever guy actually.

Reactions: 4 users
I rather prefer it when people are upfront about their beliefs. It makes it easier to predict what kind of things they like and don't like to hear. Much easier to handle than someone who is secret zealot and will silently hate you forever because one time you took the Lord's name in vain or said a negative thing about their faith.

Also the owner may not necessarily be screening for what you think he's screening for. Most religious types are completely indifferent to passive agnostic types. It's the "militant" atheists they actively dislike, or even worse a zealot of a slightly different religious denomination who can effectively challenge their viewpoint with appropriate biblical references that really drive them nuts.

I have had bosses somewhat like what you describe. Very faithful and active in their religious beliefs. I didn't find it hard to work with them but how they expressed their faith never interfered with my work. Whenever they tried to draw me into religious conversation I just kept my replies politely brief and shallow. "That's nice" and "My mom says the same thing" etc etc.

Turned out he decided he didn't need a full time pharmacist. Never been so relieved to NOT get a job....LOL Creeped me out from the getgo, so he did....

I typically think that most religious people dislike those people who have my mindset. We have a sort of freedom from imaginary, self- imposed constraints that they'll never experience.

Yes, I did intern under an LDS pioneer and had an AF evangelical Christian over me directly for two years when I practiced. It depends on organizational support, the person's proselytizing habits, and your ability to avoid direct confrontation. However, in the case of one of them, this person was an active bigot, so it did not really matter how passive you were, you would be penalized for it. In the other case, I just knew that a promotion would never come from this person (and I was right), but I also knew that my own network would end his career prematurely (and I was right too).

For an independent, I doubt s/he would hire you if the incompatibility was too high, but even if not, it's actually a stressor to put up with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
...I'm not religious primarily due to being the product of a science education which has pounded into my head not to believe in anything that isn't verifiable...
Science should have also taught you not to throw any ideas away until you actually experimented on it. Kind of like being so sure of something instead of saying you don't really know. Don't get into a debate with me about religion though, because I dont know.

I think it sort of annoys me when people wear their religion on there sleeve like that. But it's his circus- he can run it however he likes...
I typically think that most religious people dislike those people who have my mindset. We have a sort of freedom from imaginary, self- imposed constraints that they'll never experience.

Would you say you feel euphoric at this moment?

It’s also possible you aren’t good at hiding your seething disdain and it makes you less palatable to then

...theres a key and peele skit about homophobia that would apply here

It’s also possible you aren’t good at hiding your seething disdain and it makes you less palatable to then

...theres a key and peele skit about homophobia that would apply here

Wait until you put on the uniform, and then tell me that, it goes both ways. Much of the military medicine establishment is cliqued to one of three denominations, and you get quite a bit of religious discrimination masquerading as efficiency issues from the multiple parties involved. There are uniformed staff that I hate working with due to their open bigotry, and my own has the same problem (practically all the flag staff of the chaplain and medical service just so happens to be one of two denominations, and mine always has multiple flag representation despite its declining numbers as an episcopal favoring organization). Also for AMEDD and Navy Medicine, there are specific tendencies in the senior ranks to be of one particular persuasion among the denominations (which is handy because I am of that denomination, and I am not unaware of it helping me out at times). Air Force Medicine has the other denomination as their flag officer prejudice, and you can tell every so often.

When you happen to be paired with subordinates or superiors who are of a different persuasion, you tend to work your networks to make sure that it doesn't get out of hand or transfer sooner. Superiors don't have a problem hiding their seething disdain up through the top.

Wait until you put on the uniform, and then tell me that, it goes both ways. Much of the military medicine establishment is cliqued to one of three denominations, and you get quite a bit of religious discrimination masquerading as efficiency issues from the multiple parties involved. There are uniformed staff that I hate working with due to their open bigotry, and my own has the same problem (practically all the flag staff of the chaplain and medical service just so happens to be one of two denominations, and mine always has multiple flag representation despite its declining numbers as an episcopal favoring organization). Also for AMEDD and Navy Medicine, there are specific tendencies in the senior ranks to be of one particular persuasion among the denominations (which is handy because I am of that denomination, and I am not unaware of it helping me out at times). Air Force Medicine has the other denomination as their flag officer prejudice, and you can tell every so often.

When you happen to be paired with subordinates or superiors who are of a different persuasion, you tend to work your networks to make sure that it doesn't get out of hand or transfer sooner. Superiors don't have a problem hiding their seething disdain up through the top.
I have a uniform.

Looks like it’s time to convert. Just get dunked and you’ll be fine.

Would you say you feel euphoric at this moment?

Was happy that I didn't have to meet the guy and the rest of the "cult", if that's what you mean.

I think the disdain is not so much for religion (maybe for organized religion, not religion itself), but disdain for those who feel the need to rub
everyone's noses in it. I had a roommate in college who would get religious right before every exam, running around spewing bible passages at everyone. Annoying as hell. Not nearly as effective as actually studying. He was pretty much a heathen the rest of the time. I guess it's the hypocrisy I hate... I think it seems like the religious people tend to be the real haters- hating and fearing (and feeling the need to convert) anything that's not exactly like themselves.....

Wasn't offered the job- no reason to drink the Kool-Aid this time....

Might have been sweet for a retail deal, but still retail....LOL Will only go so far for a retail job!

Was happy that I didn't have to meet the guy and the rest of the "cult", if that's what you mean.

I think the disdain is not so much for religion (maybe for organized religion, not religion itself), but disdain for those who feel the need to rub
everyone's noses in it. I had a roommate in college who would get religious right before every exam, running around spewing bible passages at everyone. Annoying as hell. Not nearly as effective as actually studying. He was pretty much a heathen the rest of the time. I guess it's the hypocrisy I hate... I think it seems like the religious people tend to be the real haters- hating and fearing (and feeling the need to convert) anything that's not exactly like themselves.....
Like i said, you might not hide it well

Honestly, I've learned to just not go there with people. Unless they hit me over the head with it (like this guy did), I'm usually completely unaware of that aspect of people. It just really doesn't matter to me. I've had real fun with some people who are religious (and know that I'm not) but who had a bit more humor about it. I had one technician buy me a bible and a couple of paks of kool aid one Xmas. Some of our debates when we worked together were hilarious. We both knew we had 0 chance of changing each other's minds, but it was kind of fun to try....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

I've always found that to be so damn stupid. Are there really people who get offended when you address them with a religious greeting other than their own?

All of the pharmacists I work with are pretty religious (including my boss). Now that I think about it, I'm actually the only one who doesn't practice religion. Well, it's a small town in a rural area so I guess majority of the population are either super conservative and religious or meth/heroin addicts.

We don't really talk about it too much at work though, so I guess it's not that weird and in your face like the situation you described. They probably think I'm a horrible sinner though.

I worked in an extremely orthodox Jewish independent chain for 2 years. Basically Jerusalem 2.0. It was a wild ride.

Interview threw me for a loop when I tried to shake the PICs hand and she just looked at me because women are only allowed to touch their husbands.

We pumped in Hebrew boys choir music all day every day.

If you think your generic manufacturer requests are bad you haven't worked in a Jewish community during Passover. Every year a book is published stating which manufacturers are kosher for Passover, and you will receive 10,000 pharmacy calls asking what is kosher.

Half day Fridays in the winter were cool

You haven't witnessed true panic until you're in a Jewish pharmacy on a Friday with sundown imminent.

Most if not all of the stereotypes were true.

It was a completely different world and a borderline cult but religion isn't a huge deal for me so it was fine. They eventually terminated me for asking questions like "where is my state mandated sick time?" "And why are you classifying cashiers as salary exempt?"

I've always found that to be so damn stupid. Are there really people who get offended when you address them with a religious greeting other than their own?
I never encountered such a person, but the store was terrified of the supposed possibility they were out there.....

All of the pharmacists I work with are pretty religious (including my boss). Now that I think about it, I'm actually the only one who doesn't practice religion. Well, it's a small town in a rural area so I guess majority of the population are either super conservative and religious or meth/heroin addicts.

We don't really talk about it too much at work though, so I guess it's not that weird and in your face like the situation you described. They probably think I'm a horrible sinner though.

Yeah I guess heroin/meth users haven't discovered the joys of being tax exempt and formed their own religion yet...LOL

I worked in an extremely orthodox Jewish independent chain for 2 years. Basically Jerusalem 2.0. It was a wild ride.

Interview threw me for a loop when I tried to shake the PICs hand and she just looked at me because women are only allowed to touch their husbands.

We pumped in Hebrew boys choir music all day every day.

If you think your generic manufacturer requests are bad you haven't worked in a Jewish community during Passover. Every year a book is published stating which manufacturers are kosher for Passover, and you will receive 10,000 pharmacy calls asking what is kosher.

Half day Fridays in the winter were cool

You haven't witnessed true panic until you're in a Jewish pharmacy on a Friday with sundown imminent.

Most if not all of the stereotypes were true.

It was a completely different world and a borderline cult but religion isn't a huge deal for me so it was fine. They eventually terminated me for asking questions like "where is my state mandated sick time?" "And why are you classifying cashiers as salary exempt?"

Actually, kosher rules do not apply to medications. Saving a life is considered to be the most important thing. So, whether or not a medication is truly kosher doesn't matter. The same will hold true regarding Chametz for Passover. Passover begins this upcoming Friday night.

Nope, didn't get the reference....but can certainly respect the sentiment.

They care about you being religious like they are until its time to pick out the holiday schedule and they realize you DGAF about working Easter and Christmas if you can have off Halloween.

Reactions: 2 users