Has anyone ever gotten off the interview waitlist - then matched to that program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedzboom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is in the title! We all agonize over getting off of a programs interview waitlist, sending LOI's, having people vouch for us, etc etc... but at the end of the day, does anyone know if the journey from interview waitlist to matched at that program has been pulled off for someone applying to categorical pediatrics residencies? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I would imagine if anyone gets off the waitlist and interviews at a certain program, they have an equal shot at matching.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I would imagine if anyone gets off the waitlist and interviews at a certain program, they have an equal shot at matching.

I don't think i'd make that assumption. Presumably you're on the wait list as the program views your application as weaker than whoever they invited for whatever reasons. I'm sure there are programs that, postinterview, only consider interview experience in ranking, but I'm also sure there are programs that continue to consider your entire application when they rank. That said, I'll be interviewing at a program that invited me late with only 2 dates still available, so I don't think it's a fool's errand to interview off the waitlist

I know a few ppl over the last several years, in various specialties including pediatrics. Definitely not far-fetched.

Reactions: 1 user