harvard pre-med, where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aloepathic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a rising senior at Harvard, applying in a few days time. My AMCAS is all done, I just can't figure out where to apply (and by that I mean where I actually have a decent shot). Any and all input is welcome.

3.56 GPA (3.56 overall, 3.57 BCPM)
36Q MCAT (13 V, 12 P, 11B)
Biology Major

Freshman Summer: Worked in an Immunology Lab back home
Sophomore Summer: Ran HIV/AIDS-care study in Ghana, completed 6 week internal medicine rotation at the Polyclinic of the local Hospital (Q3 call schedule)
Junior Summer: Thesis research in nutritional biology lab (started working there junior fall)

4 year member of a cappella group (16 hour/week commitment)
Business Manager Sophomore Year
Alumni Coordinator Junior + Senior Year

Accomplished climber and mountain guide (received technical leadership certification at age 17, 2 first ascents)

Official entry in 2008 Boston Marathon, charity entry (raised $2885 for Project HEALTH)

Members don't see this ad.

Which state are you a resident of?

It's definitely an advantage to be a Harvard student, since the name carries so much weight. Columbia loves Harvard grads, but your GPA is likely going to be a bit low for that school.

Apply to all schools in your state. In addition, consider: Sinai, Cornell, NYU, Columbia, Jefferson, BU and Tufts (if you want to stay in the area), Georgetown, Rochester, Baylor, Emory, Duke, Feinberg, Pritzker and Yale.

Your GPA is lower than the top schools would like, but your MCAT scores are excellent, you have good EC's and being a Harvard grad doesn't hurt, so you still have a shot at the top schools. Getting into any schools outside the elite level shouldn't be a problem at all for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a resident of OH, so OSU and UC are definitely schools I'm interested in. I don't mind going rural so Dartmouth would be something I'm interested in, as would U Vermont. What about Brown?
Also, are there southern schools I have a shot at (UVA maybe?, Vanderbilt maybe?).

You should get into all the OH schools. You'll have a shot at Vandy. I'm not sure what UVa's policy is for OOS applicants, but it might be a stretch. There's no harm in applying, though.

Hey all,

I'm a rising senior at Harvard, applying in a few days time. My AMCAS is all done, I just can't figure out where to apply (and by that I mean where I actually have a decent shot). Any and all input is welcome.

Biology Major

Sophomore Summer: Ran HIV/AIDS-care study in Ghana, completed 6 week internal medicine rotation at the Polyclinic of the local Hospital (Q3 call schedule)
Junior Summer: Thesis research in nutritional biology lab (started working there junior fall)

Accomplished climber and mountain guide (received technical leadership certification at age 17, 2 first ascents)

Official entry in 2008 Boston Marathon, charity entry (raised $2885 for Project HEALTH)

Din and Tonics bro?

Last edited:
Hey all,

Biology Major

Apply broadly...Good MCAT, average GPA, and may I say slightly below average ECs or average???

Apply broadly...Good MCAT, average GPA, and may I say slightly below average ECs or average???

Would you really say the ECs are below average? A cappella groups take up a LOT of time, and I would hope that adcoms know that.

I think you have as good a chance as anyone OP to the whole range of schools. There will definitely be numerous rejections, but apply to wherever and see what happens. Also congrats on the verbal--it's hard for science majors to score that high.

What are the schools on the lower end that I would have a shot at? I've heard that they reject you if they think you're too strong a candidate to consider the school, and while I'm definitely not saying that I'm an uber-strong candidate, I don't want the Harvard name or anything to put off schools. So with that in mind what are some of the schools that would be considered 'safer' for me while still being good schools.

its so hard to say (re: lower end 'safer schools') --i would suggest your state schools for that....

another school i would recommend is vanderbilt--they have a large number of harvard matriculants and left one of the best impressions on me during the interview. i also notice a lot of harvard grads getting acceptances from case western (though not me personally)...

i applied last fall, harvard grad 3.5 gpa 37S mcat, CA resident. i received interviews at harvard, stanford, duke, hopkins, ucla, ucla-prime, ucla-drew, ucdavis, ucdavis prime, cclm (but was rejected pre-interview at case), vanderbilt, mayo, univ of iowa, wayne state, uc irvine

i consider that a wide RANGE of schools--which is why i think its really hard to predict where you will do well---i never got any feedback (hold, reject, invite for interview) from BU, jefferson, NYMC, tufts (even though i was complete at those places first) and waited for over 4mos of silence from them until i finally withdrew after my first acceptance and was placed on hold at GW prior to interview

best of luck to you in the process---i think finding and applying to schools that 'fit' your philosphy on medicine and your career goals is the most important thing--i dont think that your 'harvard' name will put off any schools as i know harvard grads at BU, jefferson, NYMC (the schools i never personally heard from)

that being said i will not deny that i think 'harvard' helped me get interviews that were way above my range--especially for my gpa...

good luck again...i hope my ramble can be helpful

Last edited: