Harvard incoming Fall 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosemary_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall, I wanted to start a thread for folks who are going to (or thinking about) going to Harvard next year!
Some starting questions:
  • Has anyone thought about when they are going to move to Boston and how they are going to find housing?
  • Does anyone know what kind of acceptance rate the PhD progam has for their own master's students?
  • Thoughts on working the first semester? I have worked every semester of undergrad, but I don't know how difficult the curriculum will be compared to my middle tier undergrad.
I would also love to connect with future potential classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey rosemary! Are you going to Visit Day on 3/23? I'm staying kind of near the school to get a feel for what neighborhood I want to live in (hopefully cheap and walkable - not bringing a car).

Does anyone know what kind of acceptance rate the PhD progam has for their own master's students?

I don't think I'm really cut out for academia (we'll see after this year I guess) but I have done some creeping on the student profiles for the Health Policy program. There seem to be a few who went from the SM to the PhD at Harvard. My account is too new to directly link there but I found their profiles on healthpolicy.fas.harvard.edu. :)

To be honest I'm torn between Harvard and JHU...did you commit to Harvard?

Would you be willing to share your insight with me about neighborhoods after your visit?

Yes of course! Is there anything in particular you're looking for in terms of housing?

I feel you about taking on more debt. I actually was not considering Harvard at all but they offered me some funding which made me reconsider. But my dream was always Hopkins...it's close to DC, very international, and close-ish to my family.

This may sound really stupid but I also feel really awkward about going to Harvard. When people ask me where I applied I excitedly list the names of my other programs and then sort of mumble Harvard. A lot of my peers view it as an elitist school for rich white people. I know it's not like that anymore and I need to get over what my community thinks. But I also know there are people who are a better fit and more passionate about the school that deserve my spot. (Obviously Hopkins has an equally elitist history but the name has never caused a reaction the way Harvard does. My parents have never even heard of it and keep calling it John Hopkin's).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!

Can’t wait to see some of you at admitted students day :) It was a tough choice for me to choose between Hopkins and Harvard as well!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all!

Can’t wait to see some of you at admitted students day :) It was a tough choice for me to choose between Hopkins and Harvard as well!

See you there! Any advice for us still at a crossroads? I'm interested in global health too so I'd love to hear your thought process. :writer:

I booked a hostel-style AirBnb and just realized it has 2 twin beds, so if anyone needs a place to stay please DM me. I am a 20something female and paid $50/night for Thursday and Friday. I accept sliding scale from my future colleagues. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
See you there! Any advice for us still at a crossroads? I'm interested in global health too so I'd love to hear your thought process. :writer:

I booked a hostel-style AirBnb and just realized it has 2 twin beds, so if anyone needs a place to stay please DM me. I am a 20something female and paid $50/night for Thursday and Friday. I accept sliding scale from my future colleagues. ;)

Harvard’s SM-80, in addition to the weight the name carries (and HSPH itself is ranked #2) has a much stronger quantitative and research focus which I know will look attractive career-wise. Also because of the sheer amount of resources, you can really do anything you want. And since you’re at the medical campus, there are a lot of part time research jobs available! :) An employer also told me that the community oddly doesn’t have the same competitive cut throat feeling as JHU. Also, the program size is apparently only 10-15 students.

I’m in a little bit of a unique position where an independent fellowship will cover costs, and because of a pre-existing partnership with Harvard, the decision ended up becoming easy! Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user