Harrisons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katie1822

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, this maybe a dumb question, but here it goes. Does anyone know how often Harrisons Principles of Internal Medicine is updated? I have heard every 20 months to 3 years. I'm trying to decide whether to buy one now b/c it could be handy with the case studies we have to do with systems or just wait till right before I go on rotaions. I thought I heard the new edition was coming out next year. I don't want to make the investment now if that is true, especially since I can get it online at school. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I don't know how often Harrison's is revised. Harrison's is great and comprehensive, but have you checked out Currents by Lange? I am doing a medicine rotation now and I use it more often than Harrison's because is gives you all of the essential information with much less reading than Harrison's. It is revised annually, and the next edition comes out in October. It is a blue thick paperback that fits nicely in your backpack. It cost about $50. there is also a Currents for pediatrics. Just trying to pass on some helpful info. I plan on buying a Harrison's at some point, but most hospital libraries have a copy. Good luck!
Ian MSIII, COMP

I agree with Histrionic. I have both and I have to say that the Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment is awesome. I use it far more than I do Harrison's, and it covers much of the same info, just not quite as in-depth. It comes out every year, but I am still using my 2000 edition. Anyway, to answer your question, the newest edition of Harrison's (the 15th) came out in 2001, the 14th in 1198, the 13th in 1994, the 12th in 1991, and the 11th in 1987. Hope that helps you see the trend, although it isn't completely regular. Happy shopping!

The bookstore ladies at my school told me that Harrisons will be comming out with a new edition next year.