HAPPINESS at Michigan, Emory or Yale??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ubercoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, okay...maybe a dumb question..but I don't think so! I am trying to decide between these schools as many of you are.
My preprof. advisor said to go with my gut. This seems obvious, though I don't know why it is so difficult to distinguish just what it is saying. Your gut reaction to the profs, the location..the program goals...these are critical factors...though of course Very personal.
He says people should NOT look at rank as their primary determinant or necessarily even the prestige of the overall institution. (Mind you he said you honestly couldn't go wrong with U of M, Yale, Emory..or Columbia)
He tells people to keep in mind their ACTUAL program within the institution and the overall happiness of the students in that program.

(Graduate school is gonna be hard enough without being miserable..and I have seen this happen.)

So, WHERE are the students happiest?

I was spurred to write this by a very nice synopsis of the Yale policy program. (I forget who wrote it, sorry, but definitely agree! People in policy seemed ecstatic...practically makes me wanna switch in!)

I am wondering..anyone have anything else to say on Yale's EMD (Epi of Microbial program)? What about their global?

Furthermore, I would LOVE to hear something about Michigan (Epi or specifically International Health Epi) Are people happy, or does the school seem 'too big' and impersonal? I have heard this complaint once, yet didn't pick up on it when I visited there...

It seems few people made it to Emory day?! (Which was also Harvard and Yale day! Excellent planning :) Did anyone get a feel for down there?

:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

I loved Yale as an UG and all the professional students I knew (MD, JD etc) were very happy.