Happiest Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The "ROAD to happiness" is mostly just a measure of time and money. According to this study, the specialties with the best career satisfaction are:

(So as a general rule: diaper rashes = secret to happiness)

And the most dissatisfied are:

(If you substitute Otolaryngology for ENT, that’s “MOOOOing your way to misery”)

But stuff like this is worthless, because in the end the only thing that matters is what makes you happy [/hallmark card].

Yes , geez-happiness and money are 2 different things!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes , geez-happiness and money are 2 different things!!!!!

Money doesn't necessarily make you happier but it sure does make life easier.

And therefore, some would say there's a correlation.

It is a very basic/simple principal of Psychiatry proposed by Higgins in 1987 (self-descripancy theory):

Dysphoria (unhappiness) = Actual:Ideal (AI) Discripancy

Basicly, this means that if there is a discripancy between your "Actual Self" and your "Ideal Self", you will be unhappy. This unhappiness is due to disappointment with your "Actual Self".

Why I know this? Because I was interested in Psychiatry long long time ago. I am ACTUALY in FM now. But IDEALY I want to be in GS. Oh my goodness, I am dysphoric!!!:eek:

:laugh:

It is a very basic/simple principal of Psychiatry proposed by Higgins in 1987 (self-descripancy theory):

Dysphoria (unhappiness) = Actual:Ideal (AI) Discripancy

Basicly, this means that if there is a discripancy between your "Actual Self" and your "Ideal Self", you will be unhappy. This unhappiness is due to disappointment with your "Actual Self".

Why I know this? Because I was interested in Psychiatry long long time ago. I am ACTUALY in FM now. But IDEALY I want to be in GS. Oh my goodness, I am dysphoric!!!:eek:

:laugh:

Good point. Theres a similar theory about boredom, which suggests that when a task is either not challenging enough, or much too challenging, intractable boredom ensues.

new acronym: the PATH to happiness . . .

Pathology
Anesthesiology
Titty twisters (plastics)
Hell, derm sounds ok

As someone who switched from a ROAD specialty to a non-ROAD specialty, I have to put my 2 cents in.

Echoing what some people here have said, it is INCREDIBLY important to pick a specialty that suits you and your personality. Pay attention to what YOU love, what gets YOU excited about work, what is meaningful to YOU. In retrospect, I discovered that the MBTI personality types are amazingly accurate. Take that into close consideration as well when choosing.

And no, unfortunately what you experience as a med student isn't necessarily an accurate representation of what a field is like, especially if its highly specialized (like some of the ROAD specialties). Sometimes you can luck out and get a good perspective, but this is often not the case.

I learned all of this the hard way. I picked a good specialty that was in every way wrong for me. A field that many others absolutely love and derive happiness from, I was entirely miserable doing.

Therefore, in conclusion, there is no such thing as the "happiest specialties". The best specialty to pick is the one YOU would be happy doing. Discovering which one that might be is so important, to a degree I cannot convey in words. Sometimes it just takes first hand experience to know.

anyone have an idea why ophthalmology was included in the least happiest?? their surgeries are short yet satisfying, and get to have their own medical practice. from what i've heard, they're working only 8-5 each day, M-F, with relatively little call/emergencies ... how can you beat that?

How about in terms of residencies??? Would you guys and gals still vote the same? If not, what residency do you feel has the best hours/lifestyle?

Most people go into medicine for all the wrong reasons. Turn off Gray's Anatomy, House, and ER. Don't add insult to injury by choosing a speciality for more wrong reasons. Just pick something you see yourself doing for the rest of your life because you want to. As for your real passion, the one you should have listened to before venturing into medicine, hold on to it as a healthy hobbie. With the satisfaction of choosing an appropriate speciality, this hobbie will make the choice of medicine as a career, much more appealing.

And maybe you'll finally have enough money to take on your passion professionally, but hope it's not too late by then.

So bottom line, choose the speciality you felt was most rewarding during your rotations and studying. The speciality that has always driven you curious to know more about it.

anyone have an idea why ophthalmology was included in the least happiest?? their surgeries are short yet satisfying, and get to have their own medical practice. from what i've heard, they're working only 8-5 each day, M-F, with relatively little call/emergencies ... how can you beat that?

I've heard they used to make a lot more money before their reimbursements were cut for some of their big surgeries. I bet if you ask a lot of doctors who were around pre and post they'd be down on their specialty.

I've heard they used to make a lot more money before their reimbursements were cut for some of their big surgeries. I bet if you ask a lot of doctors who were around pre and post they'd be down on their specialty.

But if you ask those just on post, they might be pretty happy ;)

Unless they hang around those older doctors who start every story with, "Why when I was younger, I used to make....."

How about in terms of residencies??? Would you guys and gals still vote the same? If not, what residency do you feel has the best hours/lifestyle?

Occupational medicine is the easiest residency but nobody has any idea that it exists.

Residency lifestyle seems to mirror its future specialty.

Most people go into medicine for all the wrong reasons. Turn off Gray's Anatomy, House, and ER. Don't add insult to injury by choosing a speciality for more wrong reasons. Just pick something you see yourself doing for the rest of your life because you want to. As for your real passion, the one you should have listened to before venturing into medicine, hold on to it as a healthy hobbie. With the satisfaction of choosing an appropriate speciality, this hobbie will make the choice of medicine as a career, much more appealing.

And maybe you'll finally have enough money to take on your passion professionally, but hope it's not too late by then.

So bottom line, choose the speciality you felt was most rewarding during your rotations and studying. The speciality that has always driven you curious to know more about it.

This is important but you will be unhappy with yourself someday if you ignore lifestyle and salary. There isn't something just more inherently rewarding about the WORK with path, anesthesia, rads and derm. The reason that docs in these specialties are happier is also due to high salary and nice lifestyle. Most people will enjoy their life outside of medicine more than their life in it so why not have MORE of your life out of it. You may not believe it now but most specialties will become mundane and routine for the most part at some time. You have to think long and hard about how passionate you will be to come in and take out your 1,000th appendix at 3 in the morning when you are 60 years old. Sorry to pick on your specialty, surgeons, but I am giving an example of part of my own reason for changing from surgery to PM&R. I also don't believe that I will too fired up about ordering PT for the 10,000th patient but at least I can do it at 8 AM after a full night's rest.

Bingo. Cataract surgeries that took 1/2 an hour paid $2000 in the mid-80's and now pay about $800.

Bingo. Cataract surgeries that took 1/2 an hour paid $2000 in the mid-80's and now pay about $800.

But now they only take 10 minutes. Ophthalmology's salary isn't as impressive as radiology but for the hours one can't complain.

But now they only take 10 minutes. Ophthalmology's salary isn't as impressive as radiology but for the hours one can't complain.

That doesn't mean they are doing 3x as many.

This is important but you will be unhappy with yourself someday if you ignore lifestyle and salary. There isn't something just more inherently rewarding about the WORK with path, anesthesia, rads and derm.

For most people, there IS something more inherently rewarding about certain specialties. I like radiology, but only for several hours (at most) of the day. It may pay more than what I am considering going into, but I can't do something that I find unfulfilling just because it pays more a year. Now, if it paid ten times more per year, I could be convinced, because it would mean early retirement. But in general, I think that physician's salaries do not warrant doing what you are miserable at. Unless you were one of those people who didn't particularly like any specialty in medical school. Then I guess you should go for lifestyle and money.

For most people, there IS something more inherently rewarding about certain specialties. I like radiology, but only for several hours (at most) of the day. It may pay more than what I am considering going into, but I can't do something that I find unfulfilling just because it pays more a year. Now, if it paid ten times more per year, I could be convinced, because it would mean early retirement. But in general, I think that physician's salaries do not warrant doing what you are miserable at. Unless you were one of those people who didn't particularly like any specialty in medical school. Then I guess you should go for lifestyle and money.

That's not a bad idea. My thought process has always been, if the lifestyle and money are decent, how bad could the work really be?

I feel that doing a month or two of a specialty doesn't adequately inform you about what it would be like to be in that specialty for 30 years. However, I know how much that I like my free time (and I know that won't change 30 years from now) and I know I want to make a good salary (pretty sure that won't change either). I wasn't particularly interested in radiology in medical school. I fell asleep my first day in the reading room. I imagine that I could get used to it with the lifestyle and salary, however.

I can honestly say that I prefer my free time to all the specialties. It IS work after all even if it is interesting from time to time (those times decrease the longer you do it). If everyone were in medicine because they just love it so much then we would all be happy to work for 60k per year, right?

I don't see medicine as my calling or the love of my life. I see it as a very very good job. The key to staying alive in this, or just about any, career is having a good attitude.

The truly content person doesn't get what makes them happy; they are happy with what they get.

Note: I have been up for 30 hours straight working and may be a little more cantankerous and confused than normal. Forgive me.

That's not a bad idea. My thought process has always been, if the lifestyle and money are decent, how bad could the work really be?

Here is an example of my being confused. I agree with this statement but not the post that it is replying to and yet somehow this post seems to be trying to agree with the post it is replying to.

Awesome name, BTW.

I feel that doing a month or two of a specialty doesn't adequately inform you about what it would be like to be in that specialty for 30 years. However, I know how much that I like my free time (and I know that won't change 30 years from now) and I know I want to make a good salary (pretty sure that won't change either). I wasn't particularly interested in radiology in medical school. I fell asleep my first day in the reading room. I imagine that I could get used to it with the lifestyle and salary, however.

I can honestly say that I prefer my free time to all the specialties. It IS work after all even if it is interesting from time to time (those times decrease the longer you do it). If everyone were in medicine because they just love it so much then we would all be happy to work for 60k per year, right?

I don't see medicine as my calling or the love of my life. I see it as a very very good job. The key to staying alive in this, or just about any, career is having a good attitude.

The truly content person doesn't get what makes them happy; they are happy with what they get.

Note: I have been up for 30 hours straight working and may be a little more cantankerous and confused than normal. Forgive me.

Like I said, if you are one of those people who didn't particularly like any rotation, go for money/lifestyle.

I hear what you are saying about considering lifestyle. I am not one of those people who eats, breathes, drinks medicine. I have other interests as well as a family.

However, I do think that you can get an idea of what interests you during your rotations. I just don't think that most people should make a decision based on money and lifestyle alone, because for many people, doing what interests them is very important. All I'm really saying is to consider both interests and lifestyle/money. ;)

Like I said, if you are one of those people who didn't particularly like any rotation, go for money/lifestyle.

I hear what you are saying about considering lifestyle. I am not one of those people who eats, breathes, drinks medicine. I have other interests as well as a family.

However, I do think that you can get an idea of what interests you during your rotations. I just don't think that most people should make a decision based on money and lifestyle alone, because for many people, doing what interests them is very important. All I'm really saying is to consider both interests and lifestyle/money. ;)

I really enjoyed most of my rotations but I had the foresight to realize that everything is interesting to me the first time I see it. I had to think a little harder about what I would still enjoy the 1000th time and the answer is probably not much of anything--most of it will become just part of the grind eventually. I think that a good attitude is more important than initial enthrallment for long term contentment. I also believe that lifestyle is very important to keep sanity and a good attitude.

I believe marriage is a similar situation. Your wife was the hottest thing you had ever seen when you first met her and the sex was great but those alone will not keep you together until gray hair sets in. Having a good attitude and staying committed to your relationship are more important and will keep you going through the times when she might not look so great and the sex is lacking or absent. Also, because you have those times doesn't mean that you chose the wrong wife; they are just inevitables of a long-term relationship. Having your free time and keeping your individual identity are important to your maintaining the good attitude and your commitment.

this is a good post. i am out of residency...and i'd agree with this

I really enjoyed most of my rotations but I had the foresight to realize that everything is interesting to me the first time I see it. I had to think a little harder about what I would still enjoy the 1000th time and the answer is probably not much of anything--most of it will become just part of the grind eventually. I think that a good attitude is more important than initial enthrallment for long term contentment. I also believe that lifestyle is very important to keep sanity and a good attitude.

I believe marriage is a similar situation. Your wife was the hottest thing you had ever seen when you first met her and the sex was great but those alone will not keep you together until gray hair sets in. Having a good attitude and staying committed to your relationship are more important and will keep you going through the times when she might not look so great and the sex is lacking or absent. Also, because you have those times doesn't mean that you chose the wrong wife; they are just inevitables of a long-term relationship. Having your free time and keeping your individual identity are important to your maintaining the good attitude and your commitment.

You are a wise man.

Interesting to see this topic... I'm in psychiatry and I've noticed that the residents are becoming a bit more happy than in previous years. Compensation is increasing, but so is the work load. Therefore, I expect for the happiness factor to probably start decreasing as time goes on.

When people aren't happy, guess who they come to see? On the whole, we typically see higher amount of Internists and general surgeons. They are the ones who I hear complain a lot about their specialty. The only generalization that I can make is that happiness isn't related to increased salary. Additionally, personality has a lot to do with which specialty fits.

Pediatrics, Physiatry, Radiology, Dermatology, (Child) Psychiatry and Family Practice seem to be the most happy. I would add Anesthesia to the list, if not for the fact that many of them state that they hate dealing with crazy narcisstic surgeons.

The bottom of the list from my observation are surgery, internal medicine, and ob/gyn.

The thing with Psychiatry and other specialties where you have CONTROL over your lifestyle (Control over your life is a huge factor is in happiness), is that you have the opportunity to do more than one thing. Many psychiatrists that I know are involved in other business opportunities and have a decent family life. Some of these psychiatrists end up earning more doing more than one thing than a radiologist who just reads films. Who is happier? It depends on the person...

Key points: Do what you enjoy which also allows you the most control over your lifestyle. If you like what you do, and you are good at it, you'll make a lot of money regardless of what specialty you are in.

Key points: Do what you enjoy which also allows you the most control over your lifestyle. If you like what you do, and you are good at it, you'll make a lot of money regardless of what specialty you are in.

There we go. Nice summary statement!

This reminds me of one of my favorite sayings originally said by . . . me.

"The secret to happiness is being happy."

agree with mashnuts.
I've also never met an unhappy dermatologist. I mean, they work great hours and usually make a killing and it's pretty low stress...hard to die from a dermatologic dz, unless maybe it's bad Stevens Johnson. Even then, the derm ain't gonna be dealing with it in the MICU.

agree with mashnuts.
I've also never met an unhappy dermatologist. I mean, they work great hours and usually make a killing and it's pretty low stress...hard to die from a dermatologic dz, unless maybe it's bad Stevens Johnson. Even then, the derm ain't gonna be dealing with it in the MICU.
Hey we've got GVHD to deal with too. But yeah life is good in derm, the problems I've got to deal with are like what club do I want to hit up this weekend.;)

What's your reason for bumping? So people can restart silly arguments?

See thread entitled, "Work Hours" where lisichka seems to have just discovered that medicine is a hard working field and is a bit concerned about the work hours and whether or not she can handle it. I suspect this is related to those concerns.

no. i just want to be happy. simple.:(

If I may, you might have neglected to understand that medicine draws a lot of people who derive great satisfaction from their careers. It is simply not a field where people generally are looking for the easy way out (dermatologists aside ;) ).

Just because you may work an average of 60 hours (or more) per week doesn't mean you won't be happy. Many physicians I know who work far more than 60 hrs per week claim they would do their job for free...an exaggeration to be sure, but it highlights the fact that many physicians arrange their life around their career, not the other way around. It IS possible to be happy an work 60, 80 or even more per week.

See thread entitled, "Work Hours" where lisichka seems to have just discovered that medicine is a hard working field and is a bit concerned about the work hours and whether or not she can handle it. I suspect this is related to those concerns.

you don't have to be so spiteful. i didn't just discover that about medicine. it was just a simple question.:(

If I may, you might have neglected to understand that medicine draws a lot of people who derive great satisfaction from their careers. It is simply not a field where people generally are looking for the easy way out (dermatologists aside ;) ).

Hey I resemble that statement.

you don't have to be so spiteful. i didn't just discover that about medicine. it was just a simple question.:(

I'm sorry - it wasn't meant to be spiteful. I just found it curious that a medical student acted suprised that physicians worked a lot and professed an inability to work 60 hours per week without having ever done it.

As a matter of fact, I supported you in the other thread and told you that you would be able to do it as opposed to others who told you that you didn't belong in medicine.

Hey we've got GVHD to deal with too. But yeah life is good in derm, the problems I've got to deal with are like what club do I want to hit up this weekend.;)

are there clubs in the midwest?!

I think there's one outside Indianapolis somewhere. But fortunately southwest airlines has pretty cheap flights to vegas, and most places in the midwest are no more than 3 hours drive from the closest airport where you could connect to a place that will have a flight to vegas.

There are clubs all right...
neanderthal.jpeg

::rolleyes::

Well not in the town where I'm at, there is just these little dive bars. I was at the gym the other day and over heard the locals talking about how they can't stand the doc/residents at their bars. So I mostly take a 75 minute drive to Minnieapolis every other weekend to get my club on. It's not to bad there, it's no L.A., NYC, Vegas or Miami but you can find a hottie now and then.

As Yaah was saying trips to vegas are cheap sometimes less then $100. One time I was at a club in vegas talking to the hotest girl ever. I was amazed she was even talking to me. Here I am thinking I'm getting my mac on, then she bust out her business card and her rate was $500/a half hour. She was a call girl, they don't call it sin city for nothing.

Gimmederm once you start derm residency you will have to deal with this dilemma too. What to do on a Saturday night after you've spent all the day studying boards fodder. Decisions descisions decisions.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It all depends on what specialty you desire to enter and hold up on a pedestal. I view Pediatrics and Medicine in a much higher regard than Dermatology as a career.

Generally I feel that dermatology is sort of more for people who couldn't or I guess don't want to be an internist or pediatrician which I feel embodies what being a patient's doctor is all about.

Not to say that Dermatology is not interesting, but to me it seems like it is just part of the picture of being a complete physician.

Maybe this is why Dermatology is renumerated more than other specialties so that they can get people to go into it!;)

well, i am an Anesthesiologist that just finished residency and I am pretty happy with my decision. Currently, I am in a lot of debt, but that will change within 3-4 yrs.

I do take a lot of call Q4, but i get post call days off and I gets lots of vacation time (13 wks).

Working with surgeons is ok. Most are reasonable and not pushy. The ones that are pushy, I push back. so no problem.

BTW, private practice is much, much better than residency.

I hope to continue to practice for 20 yrs and then retire.

I would recommend this field to anyone with an interest in acute medicine and a procedure based specialty.

Well not in the town where I'm at, there is just these little dive bars. I was at the gym the other day and over heard the locals talking about how they can't stand the doc/residents at their bars. So I mostly take a 75 minute drive to Minnieapolis every other weekend to get my club on. It's not to bad there, it's no L.A., NYC, Vegas or Miami but you can find a hottie now and then.

As Yaah was saying trips to vegas are cheap sometimes less then $100. One time I was at a club in vegas talking to the hotest girl ever. I was amazed she was even talking to me. Here I am thinking I'm getting my mac on, then she bust out her business card and her rate was $500/a half hour. She was a call girl, they don't call it sin city for nothing.

Gimmederm once you start derm residency you will have to deal with this dilemma too. What to do on a Saturday night after you've spent all the day studying boards fodder. Decisions descisions decisions.
why do you have to study for boards?

well, i am an Anesthesiologist that just finished residency and I am pretty happy with my decision. Currently, I am in a lot of debt, but that will change within 3-4 yrs.

I do take a lot of call Q4, but i get post call days off and I gets lots of vacation time (13 wks).

Working with surgeons is ok. Most are reasonable and not pushy. The ones that are pushy, I push back. so no problem.

BTW, private practice is much, much better than residency.

I hope to continue to practice for 20 yrs and then retire.

I would recommend this field to anyone with an interest in acute medicine and a procedure based specialty.

great post. we need more posts like that:D

why do you have to study for boards?

Exams do not end with Step III.

Every specialty (I think - maybe there are exceptions?) has its own board exam so you can be certified in that specialty. I can't speak for every other specialty, but the pathology board exam I took last year was orders of magnitude more difficult and complicated than any other test I have ever taken. I required much much more studying. Step I is a minor blip in comparison. Board exams are where the national board of your specialty tests you on things you should know for practice. Many people will start studying for their board exam many months to years in advance.

If you do a subspecialty within a field (like cardiology within internal medicine, or dermpath within dermatology or pathology) you have to take a second board exam for that as well.