"hanging out", relationships...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoc_2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok...this topic has probably been talked to death but i am too lazy to search for the answers. I was wondering...since residents and medical students spend so much time together in clinical rotations or preceptorships...its probably inevitable that some degree of flirting will occur. Especially between single individuals.

Is dating or "hanging out" with a resident (not the attending) considered a violation of the teacher-learner relationship? I mean, sometimes you follow around the residents so technically you can consider them teachers. I donno. But here, the residents don't really have an effect on your grade or anything related to that. can you get in trouble for something like that?

Members don't see this ad.

studentdoc_2009 said:
ok...this topic has probably been talked to death but i am too lazy to search for the answers. I was wondering...since residents and medical students spend so much time together in clinical rotations or preceptorships...its probably inevitable that some degree of flirting will occur. Especially between single individuals.

Is dating or "hanging out" with a resident (not the attending) considered a violation of the teacher-learner relationship? I mean, sometimes you follow around the residents so technically you can consider them teachers. I donno. But here, the residents don't really have an effect on your grade or anything related to that. can you get in trouble for something like that?

Hi there,
The residents DO have input into your grade so they ARE considered your teachers. You can "hang out" with your residents but leave the dating until you have completed the rotation and the grades are in.

Flirting is nice and helps to keep everything light-hearted. If you turn out to be a favorite student of a particular resident, try to make sure that your relationship is unquestionable until you are done with the rotation. Your grade could go in the other direction if the attending finds out you are "knocking boots with the chief resident".

njbmd :)

Wait until you are done with that rotation before pursuing any sort of relationship.

Members don't see this ad :)
njbmd said:
"knocking boots with the chief resident".

I don't know why, but I just burst out laughing when I read this... :laugh: :laugh:

heh...as you've prolly guessed , i've encountered such a situation so i'm asking. It's not really blatant but its obvious he's flirting. damn cute SINGLE residents....